Adding USB C /Thunderbolt to a laptop

Posted 22nd Jun 2020
Hi is there any chance to add USB C / thunder bolt to a dell laptop inspiron 3583. The reason i want to upgrade is to connect the laptop to a docking station. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
This wont charge laptops. I believe this is not even good to connect with docking station. I am looking for PCI E card, but i am not sure whether i can add a card to the laptop. I am not a tech guy.
spa22/06/2020 10:58

This wont charge laptops. I believe this is not even good to connect with …This wont charge laptops. I believe this is not even good to connect with docking station. I am looking for PCI E card, but i am not sure whether i can add a card to the laptop. I am not a tech guy.

I didn't see PCI slots in laptops for years to be honest.
Thunderbolt is the modern laptop interface for PCI-Express. The previous one, ExpressCard, stopped being used quite a few years ago now. There's also M.2 but that's strictly for internal slots and has no provision for connecting to things outside the laptop.

Your machine appears to be a circa 2017-2018 bottom of the range laptop so it'll have neither. You'll need to look at docking stations that provide all the features you want over USB rather than DP Alt Mode or Thunderbolt PCI-E.

If you want charge functionality that's not going to happen. The only port your laptop will be wired to draw power through is the main power connector.
If i buy a usb to usb c connecter, would that be ok to connect to my current docking station for display purpose. I can charge the laptop as normal throught the charging port.
spa22/06/2020 12:14

If i buy a usb to usb c connecter, would that be ok to connect to my …If i buy a usb to usb c connecter, would that be ok to connect to my current docking station for display purpose. I can charge the laptop as normal throught the charging port.

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how your docking station works.

Older ones tend to be an independent graphics card connected over USB and they'll work with any USB connection (although 3.x is less laggy).

Newer ones use the DisplayPort video signal supported by all Thunderbolt and many USB-only Type C ports which is a better experience but won't work if the port doesn't provide that.
Post a comment
@
    Text