Groups

Additional heating.

I live in an old property, it is always very cold even though it has central heating. The minute that it is turned off it's freezing again. I would like to buy additional heaters but am unsure where to start. I would like something that is economical to run, I can not have a wood burner or open fire as I privately rent it. Suggestions please.

16 Comments

Banned

Oil filled radiator is probably your best bet to heat a room. Or an electric fan heater to heat the area you are sitting

Have you had your loft and wall insulation checked? this can considerably improve heating some grants mat be available if you have a poor standard of insulation.

Check your windows. My double glazing had a gap in a couple of the windows that made my home feel cold. Use duck tape and your home will feel warmer.
    Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 11th Oct 2016

Problem with rented houses is your dont know the history. Can you first have a chat with the landlord and find out if any insulation has been done? You should have been given a EPC certificate when you moved in (or you can check them online) and this will give you extra info, lower the letter less insulation and energy efficient. How old is the boiler, how high is the thermostat? My house is 20 yrs old and bloody freezing already, it appears damp is the problem and I now run a dehumidifier that takes liters of water out of the air each day, cant wait to move out. If you get any benefits you may be able to get loft and wall insulation for free along with heating upgrades. Use draft excluders around doors and put thick curtains on windows. Lots to consider before you know for sure.

We live in a very old stone cottage so also gets cold and never warms up in the summer. We use an halogen heater to add extra warmth when sitting down, I also like the glow it gives off. The halogen lamps do burn out quite quickly but they are cheap to replace. Not that safe if you have children or forgetful and place objects in front of it.

For safety an electric radiator is better.;

cab usually get insulation installed very cheap or free, get a survey of your house and check if there is cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, floor insulation, and windows and doors are in good condition

Original Poster

boldonboy

Have you had your loft and wall insulation checked? this can considerably … Have you had your loft and wall insulation checked? this can considerably improve heating some grants mat be available if you have a poor standard of insulation.

Yes I can't remember what the Man said to be honest that visited but they can not do it to our walls.

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

Check your windows. My double glazing had a gap in a couple of the … Check your windows. My double glazing had a gap in a couple of the windows that made my home feel cold. Use duck tape and your home will feel warmer.

Ooh maybe I'm already on to it then, the seals and hinges are broke and they are on order with the local window firm so maybe that will make a difference this winter. Heres hoping x

Original Poster

googley2

Problem with rented houses is your dont know the history. Can you first … Problem with rented houses is your dont know the history. Can you first have a chat with the landlord and find out if any insulation has been done? You should have been given a EPC certificate when you moved in (or you can check them online) and this will give you extra info, lower the letter less insulation and energy efficient. How old is the boiler, how high is the thermostat? My house is 20 yrs old and bloody freezing already, it appears damp is the problem and I now run a dehumidifier that takes liters of water out of the air each day, cant wait to move out. If you get any benefits you may be able to get loft and wall insulation for free along with heating upgrades. Use draft excluders around doors and put thick curtains on windows. Lots to consider before you know for sure.

Maybe I'm more with it than I realise, lol. Already spoke to Landlord asked for permission to have the energy People visit but I'm sorry I can't remember why they can not insulate are walls or loft anymore. I do not have an EPC certificate as I have lived here nearly 7 years and I don't think it was compulsory back then? I am on zero benefits, wish I was I'd whack it right up! The boiler is fairly new but yes damp was a big problem for us upstairs I have a dehumidifier and I am shocked how often I'm emptying it. You seem to be in a very similar situation to me with the old/damp/freezing property and wanting to move, my Friends/Family all have warm houses so I feel embarrassed as well as annoyed by it. x

louisebarker

Ooh maybe I'm already on to it then, the seals and hinges are broke and … Ooh maybe I'm already on to it then, the seals and hinges are broke and they are on order with the local window firm so maybe that will make a difference this winter. Heres hoping x

Have you noticed that when you leave a door ajar the door will start hitting the door frame by itself. If so then it definitely your windows.
    Also there's a free loft insulation IF you either do not have any or below the minimum requirement (Go on the British Gas website and book for someone to come round to give you a free inspection)

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 11th Oct 2016

Have you checked the radiators that there is no air in them? Use a dehumidifier upstairs and downstairs and turn the heating up full blast for a couple of days - someone just listed Aldi are selling them atm cheap. Mine is already on every day. You should have had an EPC 7 years ago - which is valid for 5 years and needs doing again anyway now. Wall insulation will depend of whether its single layer or double layer bricks. Dont see why loft insulation cant be done, maybe worth going up there yourself and see whats going on.

If your emptying the dehumidifier often then you need to fix that issue by finding the cause of the excess damp/condensation.
    Our property was similar to as you described we then got double glazing installed but that didn't fix the cold issue - yes we live in a damp area (near lots of water) but it wasn't until we ran the dehumidifier constantly for several days (at full whack) before we noticed anything positive.

What I do now is turn on the bathroom extractor before I take a shower and it's a timer model so stays on for about 20mins after I power off and if there's condensation more than half way up the windows then he dehumidifier is turned on again for a couple of hours.

Luckily 2 years ago I got that external cladding (greener deal) which has reduced my winter bills but not that much because I'm frugal anyway but I don't like the cold.

So identify and cure (where possible damp/condensation then make certain the insulation (as already mentioned by others) is sorted - even if the type of building cannot have cavity insulation other external and/or internal wall insulation are available and check/fix double glazing.

Then look at additional heating if still needed - otherwise you could just be pumping heat into the atmosphere.

Have you thought about thermal paint additive. Check out these reviews amazon.co.uk/The…r=2

RiverDragon8

Have you noticed that when you leave a door ajar the door will start … Have you noticed that when you leave a door ajar the door will start hitting the door frame by itself. If so then it definitely your windows.Also there's a free loft insulation IF you either do not have any or below the minimum requirement (Go on the British Gas website and book for someone to come round to give you a free inspection)

​Definitely? What about an open fireplace and chimney? Or an airbrick? Windows aren't the only thing that can cause a draught you know!

Have you taken a look at Far Infrared Heaters?

Do these sort of things work? I remember something similar in a giveaway on MSE before:

screwfix.com/p/r…629
    Edited by: "kiish" 12th Oct 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020

See more discussions