Address Inaccessible Royal Mail

Found 12th Dec 2015
Here's a new one for us, our daughter made an online order from Lush.

We have been out today and no card has been left but my daughter has tracked it online and the status update is that they were unable to deliver as our address is inaccessible!

I wonder where the postman tried to go as our house is perfectly accessible!
Community Updates
31 Comments
Saft question but you have got a letterbox I presume?
Does the postman have to apply some logic to performing the delivery? Examples of which would be, open a latch on a gate or bend his knees slightly to tech the letterbox.
You're best off contacting your nearest Royal Mail depot with this enquiry. Give your tracking number as proof.
Worst case scenario you gotta pick it up from the RM depot. Best case, this is a one off.
Sounds like one of the temps employed during the Christmas rush/workload

I'd be contacting the local distribution manager to investigate and organise redelivery
Original Poster
We buy a lot online. RM is usually very good. It's Nodel and Herpes that are aggro.

The letterbox is working fine and we have a sign on the door requesting no parcels be left with neighbours but can they leave a card with a phone number so we can arrange to collect from sorting office (preferable) or to rearrange delivery.

No trace of any card being left which is understandable if they couldn't get access for some unknown bizarre reason.

I'll phone sorting office tomorrow and find out the reason, I hope!

My guess is what Phil said, that it is a temp.
Nobody in and its to big for the letter box=address inaccessible=can't deliver.

It's just the code they inputted on the HHT (hand held terminal). They should have used the code for 'nobody at address to accept delivery' rather than 'address inaccessible'
Nodel & Herpes !!

https://d.gr-assets.com/hostedimages/1380222758ra/523515.gif
We always get that on Saturday mornings because the driveway gate is closed and as it's usually a temp postie on Saturdays, the lazy gits put 'no access' because they won't open the gate. We always get that mail on the following Monday though.
Mark2111

We buy a lot online. RM is usually very good. It's Nodel and Herpes that … We buy a lot online. RM is usually very good. It's Nodel and Herpes that are aggro.The letterbox is working fine and we have a sign on the door requesting no parcels be left with neighbours but can they leave a card with a phone number so we can arrange to collect from sorting office (preferable) or to rearrange delivery.No trace of any card being left which is understandable if they couldn't get access for some unknown bizarre reason.I'll phone sorting office tomorrow and find out the reason, I hope!My guess is what Phil said, that it is a temp.

You wouldn't believe the amount of addresses that I've attempted to deliver to that either:
* Don't have a letter box
* Have a letter box behind a locked porch
* Have electronic gates with no letterbox

They always get a "not accessible" but your situation sounds odd.
stuarthanley

You wouldn't believe the amount of addresses that I've attempted to … You wouldn't believe the amount of addresses that I've attempted to deliver to that either:* Don't have a letter box* Have a letter box behind a locked porch* Have electronic gates with no letterbox They always get a "not accessible" but your situation sounds odd.

I always hated the "no mail shots" (the weekly 2 or 3 advertisement mail you'd get paid extra for) - being a newish postie I never got my "own route" and would forget to check which addresses had requested "no mail shots". The complaints and agro I got when I'd inadvertently delivered

And then the "re-directs"!!! wtf
Edited by: "philphil61" 12th Dec 2015
philphil61

I always hated the "no mail shots" (the weekly 2 or 3 advertisement mail … I always hated the "no mail shots" (the weekly 2 or 3 advertisement mail you'd get paid extra for) - being a newish postie I never got my "own route" and would forget to check which addresses had requested "no mail shots". The complaints and agro I got when I'd inadvertently deliveredAnd then the "re-directs"!!! wtf

Door to doors with pens or coasters in them. Turns a single bundle of mail into 3 bundles of mail.... And you know it's all going in the bin anyway which makes it worse.
Original Poster
GAVINLEWISHUKD

Nobody in and its to big for the letter box=address inaccessible=can't … Nobody in and its to big for the letter box=address inaccessible=can't deliver.It's just the code they inputted on the HHT (hand held terminal). They should have used the code for 'nobody at address to accept delivery' rather than 'address inaccessible'

That might be true but why didn't they leave a card?
"inaccessible" aka driver can't be arsed to get out his van.
My postman is great, lets himself in and puts my mail on my sideboard! I have never given him permission to do this but in fairness he hasn't robbed me in the two years he has done it
haritori

My postman is great, lets himself in and puts my mail on my sideboard! I … My postman is great, lets himself in and puts my mail on my sideboard! I have never given him permission to do this but in fairness he hasn't robbed me in the two years he has done it

Must be a welsh thing, mine are all great too X)
Haven't got a dog have you?
haritori

My postman is great, lets himself in and puts my mail on my sideboard! I … My postman is great, lets himself in and puts my mail on my sideboard! I have never given him permission to do this but in fairness he hasn't robbed me in the two years he has done it

He's maybe not robbed you but do all your kids look like you?
Oneday77

He's maybe not robbed you but do all your kids look like you?

http://splinteredsunrise.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/779_jeremy_kyle_342x262.jpg
They may have run out of time and just put any code in! I know citylink drivers who used to do that.
grooty

Nodel & Herpes !!

He missed out Sh1tty Link. Just thought I'd top you up.
Original Poster
moneysavingkitten

Haven't got a dog have you?

No one was in.
I have an awesome postie.

Does anyone else tip their postie at Christmas?
sickly sweet

I have an awesome postie. Does anyone else tip their postie at Christmas?

yes, guy does me a ton of favours over the year with my mail, so I make sure he gets something
We had that once when our driveway was being cemented but they put a card in next doors box saying inaccessible go to depot.
Police cordon? Dodgy area? Rabid squirrel in the way of door?
bunny_boiler

We had that once when our driveway was being cemented but they put a card … We had that once when our driveway was being cemented but they put a card in next doors box saying inaccessible go to depot.Police cordon? Dodgy area? Rabid squirrel in the way of door?

Perhaps next time he should just walk across your freshly laid cement and leave his size 10 footprints across it.
stuarthanley

Perhaps next time he should just walk across your freshly laid cement and … Perhaps next time he should just walk across your freshly laid cement and leave his size 10 footprints across it.

Lol I wasn't moaning about it....to be honest it surprised me he didn't as I was living on the Isle of Wight at the time and anything is possible over there!
bunny_boiler

Lol I wasn't moaning about it....to be honest it surprised me he didn't … Lol I wasn't moaning about it....to be honest it surprised me he didn't as I was living on the Isle of Wight at the time and anything is possible over there!

Yes. Nice place, strange folk.
There are loads of reasons packages get marked as inaccessible, some examples are; there is a dog loose in the street, someone is walking a dog off lead, someone has parked blocking a driveway, the customer has blocked their own drive with shoddy parking, contractors working on customers house that may present a health and safety risk, gates in a state of disrepair and are difficult to open, garden is overgrown blocking easy access, if it's been raining and their driveway is like an ice rink because they never jet wash it, access to the property is blocked by road works, stationary vehicles blocking the road... etc.

tl;dr, the main reasons parcels are marked as inaccessible are if the postie cant physically gain access to your property/street or there is some kind of health and safety risk.

The least likely reason for this is that your local delivery office has more parcels than they can cope with and they have cheated by scanning them as inaccessible because they simply couldn't cope with the volume of parcels.
Edited by: "spaceinvader" 13th Dec 2015
sickly sweet

Loads of people do! I always send cards to customers who tip (and I'll always go out of my way to try and save them having to come collect their parcels), I also send cards to other people who I get along well with, and all the old people who are on their own - even the old woman who calls up to complain about me every week because she thinks I'm stealing her gas bills (poor lady is just isolated and has gone a bit potty).
sickly sweet

I used to tip my postie when i lived in Cardiff as he was good. Always asked him if he wanted beer or cigarettes! He always went for cigarettes. Don't worry, he was old enough for me to buy them for him! X)
bunny_boiler

We had that once when our driveway was being cemented but they put a card … We had that once when our driveway was being cemented but they put a card in next doors box saying inaccessible go to depot.Police cordon? Dodgy area? Rabid squirrel in the way of door?

Where is billy with that gif ? X)
got a very very nice postlady here
but I don't see why I should top up her wages ?
she did get a freebie pack of cookies a few years ago curtsey of some poxy shopping website
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions