Groups
    EXPIRED

Advent 4211 Owners / Infomation Thread

As the deal post has a lot of info in, and it should be kept to info about the deal rather than the product, i thought it would be best to start a thread in Misc to discuss, answer questions, info on upgrades and accesories and boast about our new toy.

Feel free to chat away, if anything useful is said i will add it to post #1 and #2.

245 Comments

Original Poster

[CENTER]Advent 4211 Netbook (MSI Wind Re-brand)[/CENTER]

[CENTER]http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product/250/FO/219404.jpghttp://www.pcworld.co.uk/product/250/SV/219404.jpg[/CENTER]

The Advent netbook is the perfect companion for people on the move who enjoy staying online, browsing their files and staying in touch with family and friends. As well as it’s sleek design, it features the easy to use Genuine Windows XP Home operating system to access a wide range of applications, services and hardware in a familiar and easy way. Comes with Intel’s newest and smallest ever processor, Atom to deliver the performance you need to surf the net. The new Advent netbook is wireless enabled. It includes a built in webcam, microphone and is bluetooth to stay in touch with friends and sharing your mobile media files around.

Specification
    Intel Atom Processor N270 (1.6 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 512 KB Cache)
    Genuine Windows XP Home
    80 GB Hard Drive
    1GB Memory
    10" Widescreen Display
    Built In Webcam & Microphone
    1.12 KG Weight
    Bluetooth Connectivity
    Wireless Enabled
    Stylish Black & Silver Design

Origional thread...
    hotukdeals.com/ite…e-/

Links to where product is sold...
    ]PC World
    ]Curry's
    ]Dixon's

Cheapest place to buy...
    ]PC World using ]5% Voucher and ]Quidco for £252.70

Unboxing Pictures...
    ]Here

Original Poster

Advent 4211 Downloads
    ]Here

Advent 4211 Memory Upgrade Info
    Guide: netbookmag.com/200…nd/
    Memory: £12.99 @ ]Play.com

Accessories

Bodyglove Portable DVD Player Case - Scuba II (Black/[COLOR=gray]Silver[/COLOR]) and ([COLOR=magenta]Pink[/COLOR]) @ Argos - £19.99

http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/71-5347452A68UC406817M.jpghttp://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/233-0482305A68UC406860M.jpg

[COLOR=black]Iconic scuba design.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black]Complete with straps.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black]Internal dimensions 267x203x38mm.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black]Fits DVD players up to and including 10 inch.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black]Additional storage for power leads and accessories.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black]Adjustable to fit the car seat.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black]Multiple carrying options.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black]Manufacturer's lifetime guarantee[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]FYI: Ive just bought this case and it fits great! Will post some pics up shortly![/COLOR]

Banned

what is so good about this laptop/deal that you expect there to be a fanbase on here?

was there an epic misprice or something?

Original Poster

imranmaz;2489408

what is so good about this laptop/deal that you expect there to be a … what is so good about this laptop/deal that you expect there to be a fanbase on here?was there an epic misprice or something?

A lot of interest, and about £50 cheaper than the MSI Wind version thats coming out.

Banned

gary_rip;2489451

A lot of interest, and about £50 cheaper than the MSI Wind version thats … A lot of interest, and about £50 cheaper than the MSI Wind version thats coming out.

ahh... sub-notebook fans....i see!

Original Poster

imranmaz;2489468

ahh... sub-notebook fans....i see!

More a netbook!

Banned

gary_rip;2489522

More a netbook!

hehe.. netbook... i'd love to know the guy that classifies these laptops... (is laptop the umbrella term??)

I have a toshiba portege 2000... the former slimmest laptop in the world. till apple air came out...;-)

I used the 5% voucher and Quidco from PC World and the Advent came out at £252.70!

play.com/PC/…tml

Do we definately know this is compatable with the Advent?

Original Poster

scoopy2scoops;2489727

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3274801/Kingston-KVR667D2S5-1G-Valueram-Computer-Memory-1GB-PC5300-DDR2-667MHz-200-Pin-SO-Dimm/Product.htmlDo we definitely know this is compatible with the Advent?

Well we have all ordered it - i don't know if anyone has fitted it yet, but as memory is back-wards compatible speed wise i don't see it being an issue.

Will put a warning above tho! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Desray;2489725

I used the 5% voucher and Quidco from PC World and the Advent came out at … I used the 5% voucher and Quidco from PC World and the Advent came out at £252.70!

Woops... thanks for the correction! +rep (mine also did - math is having a bad day!)

imranmaz;2489599

hehe.. netbook... i'd love to know the guy that classifies these … hehe.. netbook... i'd love to know the guy that classifies these laptops... (is laptop the umbrella term??)

en.wikipedia.org/wik…ook

My RAM was shipped Monday so I'm hoping to have it tomorrow!

Original Poster

nerner;2491935

My RAM was shipped Monday so I'm hoping to have it tomorrow!

Let us know how you get on!

engadget.com/200…nd/

In September, MSI will begin selling a Windows version of the Wind with a 6-cell battery , as well as the Linux version with a 3-cell battery. MSI will also carry a 6-cell battery for customers who wish to upgrade their 3-cell battery in late September.

Wonder what the upgrade cost will be :whistling:

[url]www.msiwind.net[/url] is also a very good source of information.

Original Poster

I would love a 6 cell... be nice to have a spare 3 cell for long journeys/when i forget to charge it!

gary_rip;2494834

I would love a 6 cell... be nice to have a spare 3 cell for long … I would love a 6 cell... be nice to have a spare 3 cell for long journeys/when i forget to charge it!

Would definately add to the appeal for travelling etc. with the longer battery life. I'm sure there will be some 3rd party batteries around too, not sure if i'd trust one though after the recent-ish laptop fire stories...

Repped for starting this thread :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Been using my netbook everyday on the train into/out of work, have a usb HSDPA stick so can HUKD on the way in. Also great for downloading iPlayer programmes and watching them on the way into work!

Travel to / from Holland Mondays and Fridays so am looking to do exactly the same, was also thinking of using a USB tv tuner to transfer all my saved programmes from my SKY+ and render my archos obsolete

Original Poster

Tillboy;2495076

Travel to / from Holland Mondays and Fridays so am looking to do exactly … Travel to / from Holland Mondays and Fridays so am looking to do exactly the same, was also thinking of using a USB tv tuner to transfer all my saved programmes from my SKY+ and render my archos obsolete

Ive just purchased a DVB Digital Tuner, but how good that will be i dont know...

My Archos has also been rendered obsolete! Shame but loving the 10" screen!

PCWorld recommend the Carry Case ]http//ww…071

£5.00 reduction if bought together with the laptop ]http//ww…404

I ordered my advent at 2:30pm on the 8th and have yet to recieve the last email confirming dispatch, but I have had the Quidco validated (sine around 3pm on the 8th). Im concerned as PC World is again out of stock online, my local store has them in stock, should I grab one from there in case my online order won't be fulfilled for some time? Then return the one I get via online as and when I recieve it to the store. As the online one is £252.70 as apposed to £266 after Quidco for Collect at store option.

Or am I being a nervous fool. I just wanted the laptop in time for the weekend as Im goin away. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I ordered mine Saturday, just got shipping confirmation. Reserve the local one, it gives you until end of tomorrow to see if the online one is coming...

great thread Gary. It's not true what they say about you :-D

Original Poster

bazzaric;2495845

great thread Gary. It's not true what they say about you :-D

haha some of it is... depends what mood they caught me in!

gary just to let you know your inbox is full, no more messages can get through!

Original Poster

I often have that problem... there is room now!

All the bit's you get in the box and the unit itself
    ]HERE

I'm loving the machine, couple of little niggles that i'll get over though:
    Clicking the trackpad buttons is on the noisy side and i keep missing the . (full stop) key when i'm typing and not looking. Other than that it's a brilliant piece of kit.

Original Poster

reviewz;2496142

All the bit's you get in the box and the unit itself]HERE

Added, thanks!

Got my RAM from Play.com. Easy to install

Original Poster

I take it it was the Kingston one that i have linked to?

It work ok?

Yer no stickers to remove to install or nothing. Just open the case and install it Max 5 minutes.

Running even better now

Original Poster

Sexy! Will remove the TBC warning once we have one more confirmed!

Original Poster

Anyone thinking of upgrading the HDD?

80GB is enough for me at the minute! I've got 3x 8GB and 4x 2GB USB flash drives as well so I've got enough space

All I want is a bigger battery! Hopefully 3rd party battery's come out soon!

I've got the kingston from play and can confirm it works.

Oddly though i've lost a 1gb from the hard drive space which is v.strange......

freestyle;2498470

I've got the kingston from play and can confirm it works.Oddly though … I've got the kingston from play and can confirm it works.Oddly though i've lost a 1gb from the hard drive space which is v.strange......

That would be your page file, (swap file), generally increases the more ram you stick in.

Just got mine today and I have to say its awesome! Will order the ram now, thanks to you all for the advice!

Desray;2498773

Just got mine today and I have to say its awesome! Will order the ram … Just got mine today and I have to say its awesome! Will order the ram now, thanks to you all for the advice!

I've ordered also, like the look of the bodyglove posted earlier.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1420
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846154
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      4. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218

See more discussions