ADVENT K6000 LAPTOP - WHAT DO YOU THINK, IS IT A GOOD BUY?

I'm thinking of buying a laptop and after looking on line, I've found one that seems to fit the bill. Its an Advent K6000 from PC World for £349.99

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5450 (1.66 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium
2GB Memory
120 GB Hard Drive
15.4" Screen
DVD+R/+RW Optical Drives
UMA Intel GM965 Graphics Card
2.0 USB Connections - 3
Wireless Enabled

I've had a look for reviews but I can't find one on it, but I have found it has an integrated webcam. I know everyone raves about Dell on here, but everyone I've spoken to hates them.

So what do you think - should I or not?

11 Comments

I wouldn't buy an Advent, you've mentioned you can't find any reviews which is an immediate issue but when it comes to getting support or needing bits for it further down the line it's a more serious problem. My first machine was an Advent and never again, I couldn't get any Linux support for it as virtually no-one had heard of it and when it failed out of warranty I was unable to get any support or parts for it.

Amongst other reasons that's why my next machine was Dell, their models are well known which means getting support from other people is a breeze and Dell parts are easy to get a hold of. I know a lot of people bash Dell but I tend to find many of these people have limited experience with them or quote instances that could have happened with any notebook. Personally I have four Dells (all still working) and work with several thousand of them, they're by no means perfect but I think they're a good choice for a budget machine.

John

Original Poster

What do you think of the ASUS X53SR - its £399.99 at PC World.

As johnmcl7 says, be wary of buying an Advent.

Advent are one of those brand that are only sold through a certain group of shops (PC World, Currys maybe - who are part of the same chain).

They are not sold on the "open market" so you really have no idea of how good they are and if they are value for money. They do have a terrible reliabiity reputation.

You say "I know everyone raves about Dell on here, but everyone I've spoken to hates them".

How many people have you spoken to - one, two ?

Dell are the biggest (at least in the top 3) sellers of PCs and laptops in the world and you would not get there if what you sold was rubbish.

PC Pro did a review of laptops (£300 to £400) a month or so back and the Inspiron 1525 came out top. See here

pcpro.co.uk/lab…tml

Original Poster

Thanks Guilbert, makes interesting reading.

I've actually asked 6 or 7 people.

I have to agree with the above posts, with regards to Advent pc support telephone support is a premium number and if you need specific drivers the cost is £30, the system spec is good but i would direct you towards dell for a similar price ad pretty much lifetime product support.

I had an Advent, it was pants, it literally fell to bits round me!

The spec looks good for the price - I'm after a new laptop myself, but am really after one with a 17" screen because it's for video editing and graphic design. Not sure about the graphics card though - GM965 is a chipset, not an actual graphics card, so more info is needed on that to be able to tell what games it will and won't run!

I've had Advent laptops before, and a couple of friends had them, and I can't say any of them have had problems, but then I know how to maintain computers. Drivers will always be available online - the parts themselves won't actually be made by Advent, they just source the parts and put the laptops together, so if drivers aren't on Advent's website they will be on the individual manufacturer's websites. Plus, it's always hard to find parts for any laptop because they're all so particular, and technology moves so fast that if it does break down after the warranty has expired chances are parts will no longer be available regardless of which laptop you buy.

Having said all that, if you really are concerned about warranty and customer services, getting a laptop made by a company like Sony, HP or Dell would be a better way to go.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'll have to think for a bit longer.:)

reddragon105;2313844

Not sure about the graphics card though - GM965 is a chipset, not an … Not sure about the graphics card though - GM965 is a chipset, not an actual graphics card, so more info is needed on that to be able to tell what games it will and won't run!

It's intel so unless you've got a specific low specification game in mind then it's best to assume it will run very few 3d games.

Buy that £300 vostro laptop from dell. Pretty much same spec but better build quality and £100 cheaper.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Criminal Immigrants and British Justice - makes me proud!2238
    2. What an absolute disgrace2154
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764004
    4. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…22

See more discussions