advent vega tegra note 7 TIPS FOR OWNERS

Found 21st Dec 2013
I will start this off for new owners of the Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 on here. Hopefully we can get some useful tips & info & advice on getting the best out of this tablet. Please feel free to add "useful" links & comments & tips.

660 Comments

Original Poster

Tablet Reviews:

here
here
here

Original Poster

Possible case/cover for your tablet. Dimensions of tablet 119x199x9.6 mm.

ebay.co.uk/itm…14c

or these suggested by redhot999

I was thinking more of a gel case for gaming as easy to hold like this. ebay.co.uk/itm…9b8. Not ideal but you can cut holes. Or maybe this ebay.co.uk/itm…30d

Edited by: "J9STL" 21st Dec 2013

Original Poster

ROOT info :

thanks to GAVINLEWISHUKD for

Yes over at XDA. Nvidia already said they wouldn't lock the boot loader on any of there tablets so it makes it a whole lot easier to start with. Unlike most companies Nvidia embrace the modding community. :P)

Root info

Original Poster

More ROOT info from KuK:

For those who want to root this device and don't want to use the bloatware Chinese root tool version....

I have found this ...
link

and a step by step youtube video
link

Already done mine, now looking for a recovery oO

Just to clarify, KuK has rooted his device, not me .....

does anyone know if a made for ps3 blutooth controller work with this 7" tablet?

Few niggles on mine but still loving it! A absolute bargain at £89

forums.evga.com/tt.…=93

huiweipad.com/tem…tml

Also known as:
Granville Flyone
EVGA tegra note 7
Gigabyte tegra note 7
xolo tegra note 7
Zotan tegra note 7
HP slate 7 extreme

Edited by: "winchman" 21st Dec 2013

J9STL

Tablet Reviews:hereherehere

Ty for starting this thread, J9STL/OP
Perhaps the title should have been called "tegra note 7", so it cover all brands, not just the Dixon's group.

After downloading OTA update, I have manage to get the update out, to compare between the default.

They are all nearly the same, as other Nvidia note 7's updates

One thing, They have changed is the camera

How to switch on the developer Option, this Including Debug

Go to "setting", select "about tablet", scroll to the bottom of the page
and press "build number" multi times, until the screen tells you are now a developer
You now find the "developer Option" menu in setting

KuK

Original Poster

anyone advise what the "must have" apps are for this tablet please?
reader. browser, file manager, sat nav etc?

Update "Talk" to "Hangouts"
AnTuTu benchmark
ES file explorer

To take a screen shot, press volume down and power button at the same time.

Thanks for this thread, I ordered one for my 9 yr old daughter and it came today so will be messing around with it later when she goes bed

...a Tegra Note for a 9 yr old?!

stovy

...a Tegra Note for a 9 yr old?!

Well I was going to get a kindle but this seemed the better money wise for games and reading, I plan on using it a lot too so a gift for myself too

Anyone actually got a case and any review for that?

A wired Xbox 360 controller works on this, you just need a USB otg adaptor.

Haven't tried a ps3 controller via bluetooth yet.

Original Poster

Anarki

A wired Xbox 360 controller works on this, you just need a USB otg … A wired Xbox 360 controller works on this, you just need a USB otg adaptor.Haven't tried a ps3 controller via bluetooth yet.

one of these ? USB 2.0 USB Female to Micro USB OTG Adapter
[img]ukih.merchantrunglobal.com/Ima…spx?GlobalID=1003&MerchantID=511&ImageID=9367&DisplaySize=-1&ListingID=3689763[/img]

J9STL

one of these ? USB 2.0 USB Female to Micro USB OTG … one of these ? USB 2.0 USB Female to Micro USB OTG Adapter[img]http://ukih.merchantrunglobal.com/ImageHosting/ViewImage.aspx?GlobalID=1003&MerchantID=511&ImageID=9367&DisplaySize=-1&ListingID=3689763[/img]

Yep that's the one you'll need

jackycn

Anyone actually got a case and any review for that?

Same here... Waiting for a gd recommendation for a gd case n cover

Trying to apply the OTA update but it just keeps on saying downloading and is stuck at 359MB/359MB.

Original Poster

Vegeta

Trying to apply the OTA update but it just keeps on saying downloading … Trying to apply the OTA update but it just keeps on saying downloading and is stuck at 359MB/359MB.

just done mine this evening, and after 359mb, it should then do a restart and then update android & various apps

Is anybody else having problems with the screen, I can barely use mine; it seems to register swipes as presses, making things like scrolling almost impossible.

Original Poster

the dandy p

Is anybody else having problems with the screen, I can barely use mine; it … Is anybody else having problems with the screen, I can barely use mine; it seems to register swipes as presses, making things like scrolling almost impossible.

I guess you have tried a reset to see if it cured the problem ? (power button held for 12+ secs)

J9STL

just done mine this evening, and after 359mb, it should then do a restart … just done mine this evening, and after 359mb, it should then do a restart and then update android & various apps

Tried it a few times and it has now updated.

the dandy p

Is anybody else having problems with the screen, I can barely use mine; it … Is anybody else having problems with the screen, I can barely use mine; it seems to register swipes as presses, making things like scrolling almost impossible.

yes that's what happened to mine like the screens got a mind of its own and becomes almost unusable after happening many times ended up returning it for refund

J9STL

anyone advise what the "must have" apps are for this tablet … anyone advise what the "must have" apps are for this tablet please?reader. browser, file manager, sat nav etc?

Don't own one of these, but Autodesk sketchbook is a must if you plan to use the pen input.

another nvidia update is on its way !!

KuK

another nvidia update is on its way !!

4.4?

4.3 supposedly

Loving this so far. Really cant wait for the games that will really push the gpu other than dead trigger 2. I really like mx player for vidéos as you can Stretch to use the full screen unlike with the default player.

fastrover

yes that's what happened to mine like the screens got a mind of its own … yes that's what happened to mine like the screens got a mind of its own and becomes almost unusable after happening many times ended up returning it for refund

Out of interest, how did the refund go?

Just to add the magnet for the cover which sleeps/awake the tablet similar to the ones on nexus 7 /ipad etc is placed just below the front facing caméra ,just right from the centre. I find the power button on mine quite creaky sounding which worries me. Just a heads up for people looking for the cover (people like me).
On a separate note really looking for any way to people the old arcade emulations. Tried mame4droid and mame4all + tiger arcade and found only the street fighter/mortal kombat games worked on mine, games such as house of the dead/crazy taxi ran but with half the screen blank and slow! Any tips for that im not sûre if it was the emulator or settings when i tried on the nexus 7 ,the tegra should have the power.

the dandy p

Out of interest, how did the refund go?

no problem took it back to curry's told them what was happening asked for a refund I only had it 2 days and in the first 7 there shouldn't be a problem.

Is rooting this difficult? I've got a 32gb microSD coming, and I'd like to run apps off that.

picking my up tomorrow, I had a tablet in the past that was a sumvision voyager and that was terrible for phantom screen pressing I really hope this isn't the same

I'll report back, enjoy

fastrover

yes that's what happened to mine like the screens got a mind of its own … yes that's what happened to mine like the screens got a mind of its own and becomes almost unusable after happening many times ended up returning it for refund

I have had that, too. Could not get it to calm down and behave until I rebooted it. Once or twice the screen has been unresponsive to touches for a few seconds as well or touches have been registered off target closing tabs in the browser, etc. It is not as smooth as it could be.

spraint

I have had that, too. Could not get it to calm down and behave until I … I have had that, too. Could not get it to calm down and behave until I rebooted it. Once or twice the screen has been unresponsive to touches for a few seconds as well or touches have been registered off target closing tabs in the browser, etc. It is not as smooth as it could be.

Has JUST happened to me! First I had trouble with my touches not being registered, then I had trouble swiping (would swipe to left or right a bit but wouldn't do it fully) then it began to freeze and then it would open apps by themselves or top bar with all the options like wifi, brightness etc would come down it it's own. **** off because apart from those issues it's cracking tablet. Fast, great looking screen, brilliant speakers and HDMI out.

FS!
Edited by: "Cantona007" 23rd Dec 2013

sammyc7

Is rooting this difficult? I've got a 32gb microSD coming, and I'd like … Is rooting this difficult? I've got a 32gb microSD coming, and I'd like to run apps off that.

Well with the 4.3 update on shield (63 I think) it added moving apps to microSD. So as they do updates for shield and iron out all the bugs and then it comes to the tablets. So we get good updates (tablet/phone users moan) but gamers are happier to workaround and wait for bug updates. For Nvidia they just strip the bits they need for the tablet release from the shield build.

Cantona007

apart from those issues it's cracking tablet. Fast, great looking … apart from those issues it's cracking tablet. Fast, great looking screen, brilliant speakers and HDMI out.

Steady on, there. It is not a great looking screen unless you like washed out colours and a yellow tint. Pity there are no effective screen calibration apps for Android.

Original Poster

It seems like some have a few issues; other than running the update, mine has been put away until wednesday, when I guess a thorough test is needed.

spraint

Steady on, there. It is not a great looking screen unless you like washed … Steady on, there. It is not a great looking screen unless you like washed out colours and a yellow tint. Pity there are no effective screen calibration apps for Android.

No yellow tint on mine and it's really not tha bad. Yes colours are bit washed out but it's not THAT bad.
Edited by: "Cantona007" 23rd Dec 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions