Groups

Advice - 16GB MP3 player ( solved.....memory hacked..is only 2gb)

Basic mp3 player, no brand name, purple in colour. alloy case and colour screen. Does have mp4 playback, but i have never had it play ant of my files plus the screen is too low res for any quality. You can view pics and even listen to the radio on it, ebook reader, some naff games, poor clumsy interface and i believe its usb1.1 so file transfer isnt quick. has built in rechargable battery too, tho not sure how long it lasts. a good few hours at least im sure though.
    Charges off mini usb. Will supply only with a set of earphones (should have a cheap new set somewhere).

Note: Moved from FS/FT for assistance with issue. No offers in this thread from 4/8/09 @ 17:40 please. In addition - this item will have to be locked for 7 days prior to relisting. - aScottishBloke

34 Comments

Original Poster

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/shanecr/DSC00144.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/shanecr/DSC00112.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/shanecr/DSC00113.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/shanecr/DSC00147.jpg

Is this gen 16gb? just a few years ago people were selling 1gb ones as 4gb etc.

Original Poster

the__mayster;5928677

Is this gen 16gb? just a few years ago people were selling 1gb ones as … Is this gen 16gb? just a few years ago people were selling 1gb ones as 4gb etc.

if someone really wanted, i will spend the time trying to fill it. like i said, its usb1.1 so will take time to fill. i got it for my gf and bought myself a touch. obviously she wasnt too impressed so i got her a touch too lol.

i had one just like this i bought off ebay.....plays songs fine and this is prob worth the £12.00

but in all fairness they are crap

shanecr;5928700

if someone really wanted, i will spend the time trying to fill it. like i … if someone really wanted, i will spend the time trying to fill it. like i said, its usb1.1 so will take time to fill. i got it for my gf and bought myself a touch. obviously she wasnt too impressed so i got her a touch too lol.

hahahaha ledge !!!!

thomasc123;5928710

i had one just like this i bought off ebay.....plays songs fine and this … i had one just like this i bought off ebay.....plays songs fine and this is prob worth the £12.00but in all fairness they are crap

How long does the battery last? Want a cheap one to take on holiday so can leave the nano at home.

Original Poster

thomasc123;5928710

i had one just like this i bought off ebay.....plays songs fine and this … i had one just like this i bought off ebay.....plays songs fine and this is prob worth the £12.00but in all fairness they are crap

you are absolutey right on all counts :thumbsup:

it would do for a cheapskate, or for a child, for in the car etc.

I am now in the process of shoving 15gb on to it to see if the memory is true.

Original Poster

the__mayster;5928727

How long does the battery last? Want a cheap one to take on holiday so … How long does the battery last? Want a cheap one to take on holiday so can leave the nano at home.

i have only ever charged it once. it was used by my gf for a week or so of occasional use and has been left doing nothing since. that was a month ago or more. and it switched on last week when i picked it up. Im not gonna say it will last a full day of playing tho as i dont know.

the__mayster;5928727

How long does the battery last? Want a cheap one to take on holiday so … How long does the battery last? Want a cheap one to take on holiday so can leave the nano at home.

mine lasted quite a while to be fair.... hard to say as i didnt listen to it straight through....
    at a guess id say most of the day....

I had a 4gb one and it did actually take 4gb worth of music.....

id have it for holiday...but nothing more...

also you can use these for storage.... i used mine to load windows onto my netbook.... Bootable usb

Would you consider a trade? I've got some music CD's on offer.

My son is after a basic mp3 player so I'm looking for something cheap.

Original Poster

Joss;5929537

Would you consider a trade? I've got some music CD's on offer.My son is … Would you consider a trade? I've got some music CD's on offer.My son is after a basic mp3 player so I'm looking for something cheap.

no interest in cds at all sorry

To test it, you'll need to copy 16GB onto it and then back off it. If they survive the back onto the HD with no problems playing them, the memory should be ok. Theres a couple of tools out there to check wether its hacked or not.

mympxplayer.org/how…tml

Other checks include, select format under windows. Is it locked to FAT32? If so, its hacked.

If it isnt hacked, I may be interested.

Im still waiting on if its hacked memory or not too :-)

Have you had a chance to format it to check?

It might be that its 16 Gigabit=2Gigabyte

Original Poster

Sin_of_nature;5930281

To test it, you'll need to copy 16GB onto it and then back off it. If … To test it, you'll need to copy 16GB onto it and then back off it. If they survive the back onto the HD with no problems playing them, the memory should be ok. Theres a couple of tools out there to check wether its hacked or not.http://mympxplayer.org/how-to-removing-memory-hack-vt2400.htmlOther checks include, select format under windows. Is it locked to FAT32? If so, its hacked.If it isnt hacked, I may be interested.

excellent link and guide. It confirms the mp3 has 15.9gb memory

shanecr;5931192

excellent link and guide. It confirms the mp3 has 15.9gb memory

Have you taken the music back off of the MP3 and tried to play it on the computer?

Original Poster

ach. i forgot to backup the darn thing and a file is missing that is needed for it to play music. now all i get is disk error, and i cant find anyway of restoring it. its just a 16gb usb stick now.

Shall remove from sale.

edit: if anyone has one of these, its the file that has a tree icon. would appreciate a copy

i have the tree icon on mine (its a cheap 8gb) but inside it contains all the music too

Original Poster

BMR;5932328

i have the tree icon on mine (its a cheap 8gb) but inside it contains all … i have the tree icon on mine (its a cheap 8gb) but inside it contains all the music too

Exactly. im sure that tree is more than just a folder or something. If i could get that back on i'll know for sure.

the only thing i can see in there that is not a media file is desktop.ini

[.ShellClassInfo]
    IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
    IconIndex=41

is what mine says when open in notepad, maybe create a notepad file like that and name it desktop.ini

might work lol

Original Poster

BMR;5932626

the only thing i can see in there that is not a media file is … the only thing i can see in there that is not a media file is desktop.ini[.ShellClassInfo]IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dllIconIndex=41is what mine says when open in notepad, maybe create a notepad file like that and name it desktop.inimight work lol

trying it now, could you check the properties of the tree for me please?

still disk error with that make up .ini file.

reported thread to be moved to misc whilst troubleshooting. dont want to knock other threads down

when i click properties on the tree icon it just says 1.8

Original Poster

BMR;5932703

when i click properties on the tree icon it just says 1.8

if at all possible, if and when you get time, could you copy that file so i may put it on mine. obviously if you have a stack of music on it you may not want to lol, as its time consuming transferring.

shanecr;5932809

if at all possible, if and when you get time, could you copy that file so … if at all possible, if and when you get time, could you copy that file so i may put it on mine. obviously if you have a stack of music on it you may not want to lol, as its time consuming transferring.

just grabbing some dinner then i will have a look into it :thumbsup:

Original Poster

BMR;5933174

just grabbing some dinner then i will have a look into it :thumbsup:

appreciated :thumbsup:

Ok, i deleted my music and have uploaded what was left, find it here :-

mediafire.com/?sh…871

Hope this helps

Original Poster

BMR;5933968

Ok, i deleted my music and have uploaded what was left, find it here … Ok, i deleted my music and have uploaded what was left, find it here :-http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5f3bbb5a425efb46af924764f9977b1de04e75f6e8ebb871Hope this helps

thanks. will give it a shot :thumbsup:

Original Poster

ah well, that didnt work.

also, though it shows 0% memory used, it now shows the memory size as 00mb in the info on the player itself

Original Poster

dcx_badass;5935014

Try a firmware update.

doesnt work. the tool doesnt even install. But i have somehow got it working, but i can only assume the memory hack used was more advanced than previously as its only a 2gb mp3 player now lol.

Yeah, they're a cunning lot that make these things. :-D

Original Poster

Sin_of_nature;5935227

Yeah, they're a cunning lot that make these things. :-D

lol yup. well i got time to paypal dispute it. spent £16 on it. i'll get it back

Only reason I knew about that link is because I got stung as well. :-D Good luck mate, paypal are usually pretty good on these issues. I managed to get my refund when I got stiffed.

Original Poster

Sin_of_nature;5935334

Only reason I knew about that link is because I got stung as well. :-D … Only reason I knew about that link is because I got stung as well. :-D Good luck mate, paypal are usually pretty good on these issues. I managed to get my refund when I got stiffed.

repped ya mate. would have hated to pass a duffer onto someone especially on this forum.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?913
      2. Sad news about Barcelona26113
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764188
      4. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…11

See more discussions