Advice about booking long haul flights.

6 replies
Found 6th Jan 2011
I need to book flights from london to capetown in august but wont have the money until june.
Does anyone know if the likelihood is that flights will go up in price? Also is there anywhere you can book the flights, pay a deposit and pay the rest nearer the time..like you would a package holiday?.

6 Comments

If you go via a tour operator, you may be able to book now and pay 12 weeks before travel. (not that it will help you.)

In general, for long haul flights, the better price will be in advance.

RickT

If you go via a tour operator, you may be able to book now and pay 12 … If you go via a tour operator, you may be able to book now and pay 12 weeks before travel. (not that it will help you.)In general, for long haul flights, the better price will be in advance.

When I was looking around for flights to New York I was told if i booked with a hotel./hostel i could pay like you said. But if flights only it'd be upfront only....

Sorry if this doesnt help OP just thought i'd let you know.

not sure if the flight centre would allow you to do this or not, might be owrth checking if you have one near you.

I few people will hate this advice.......
Get a interest free credit card on purchases for 6 months. -- Then pay it off in 6 months time..

Or better still.... borrow off parents...

I think you will struggle with flights, as they have to be booked with the airline at the time of booking.

Edited by: "RickT" 6th Jan 2011

RickT

I few people will hate this advice.......Get a interest free credit card … I few people will hate this advice.......Get a interest free credit card on purchases for 6 months. -- Then pay it off in 6 months time.. :|Or better still.... borrow off parents... I think you will struggle with flights, as they have to be booked with the airline at the time of booking.

i'd have to agree with this post. there's a chance they could go up, there's a chance they could go down but that's the chance you have to take.

Original Poster

Thanks for your advice guys. Tour op want the whole lot upfront. I don't have relatives I could borrow or access to credit so will have to hope for best!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition50448
    2. Win a gorgeous bundle of fair trade toys from Best Years, worth £100 @ Netm…10
    3. hello fashion mag/jigsaw comp - win £1,000 to spend INSTORE at jigsaw88
    4. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…55

See more discussions