Groups
    EXPIRED

Advice about external hard drive needed

Looking to get an external hard drive to store all my photos on, but dont have a clue what I am looking for :P

Preferably wanting to purchase from amazon because have a load of vouchers on there

Advice needed regarding size I should get (basically just for photos, but I have a TON of photos!!!) whether brand matters and if it does which ones are good - plus anything else you think is important :P

7 Comments

There are two sizes of hard disk that go inside an external drive - 2.5 inch and 3.5inch.

The 2.5 inch can get their power from the USB port and DONT need a power cable.

The 3.5 inch CANNOT get their power from the USB port and have to plug into the mains.

The 2.5 inch are often (but not always) called Portable (as they dont need the mains).

The 2.5 inch are better for people on the move (with laptops) as they can be used anywhere.

The 3.5 inch are better for people who use theirs at home or at work where a mains socket is available.

Note you can use a 2.5 inch with a desktop as well as a laptop, and a 3.5 inch with a laptop as well as a desktop.

Generally the 3.5 inch are cheaper than the 2.5 inch (cost per gigabyte)

I would go for a 1Tb (Terabyte) and you will need to pay around £50 or a little more.

I have two of these - Western Digital - that have been excellent. They are 3.5 inch and mains powered.

direct.tesco.com/q/R…spx
    Edited by: "guilbert53" 27th Oct 2010

I agree with guilbert53 above but for handyness and fewer cables, go with a 2 1/2" drive. It just plugs into the USB port and you don't need a power cable. Again I would agree with guilbert53 and recommend a WD Passport. We have several in the house and they are small and neat and so far reliable.

Original Poster

VERY useful posts, really appreciated, made things a lot clearer for me

Thankyou

Very good post i'm looking for an external hard drive too.

I want one for my wii so need one with a USB, but what size should i get.

I'll be saving loads of games on it

Harry21180

Very good post i'm looking for an external hard drive too.I want one for … Very good post i'm looking for an external hard drive too.I want one for my wii so need one with a USB, but what size should i get.I'll be saving loads of games on it

Aren't you limited by the drives that will work with a Wii?

I'm using a 320gb WD My Book and that works fine. Not managed to fill it (and have got lots of games on there) because they haven't made enough Wii games that are worth playing to fill it
    Apart from Super Smash Brothers the games are about the size of a DVD or less (considerably less in many cases), so:
    '4.7gb times how many games you want' will give you the largest capacity you'll need.

pixmania.co.uk/uk/…369
    we use this one for the wii, my laptop for all my photos and stuff, hubby uses it for his desktop . only ever had one problem and that was with the one on the wii somehow got corrupted and wiped everything off there and at the time we didnt know how to retrieve it, we find out after hubby started all over again we could have saved the 385 files on there.
    I have over 5000 photos and documents on mine and its no where near a quarter full , well worth the money we've just bought another one to back up the back ups on the wii

michaelmakro

I agree with guilbert53 above but for handyness and fewer cables, go with … I agree with guilbert53 above but for handyness and fewer cables, go with a 2 1/2" drive. It just plugs into the USB port and you don't need a power cable. Again I would agree with guilbert53 and recommend a WD Passport. We have several in the house and they are small and neat and so far reliable.

+1. Would recommend a portable drive (at a slightly higher price)...£79.99 @ Amazon.

However if you want a 3.5" one, also have a look at this seagate one from Amazon for £52.00. IMO, they are a good brand too and I never had any prob with my 500GB portable one.
    Edited by: "nomeames" 28th Oct 2010
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any good Sky TV deals on at moment?11
      2. Why do people scam on Gumtree?68
      3. is it still possible/easy to add the playstore to a new kindle fire 811
      4. GP Vaccinations: telling patient they are out of stock and go private66

See more discussions