Expired

Advice about letters coming to wrong address

Found 23rd Mar 2012
We have lived in this house for nearly 2 years , in this time we have been getting mail from DWP to a name that I don't know , I presume that she lived here before us. I have been putting the mail in the post box marked "not known at this address*, but still letters are being delivered I opened the one that was delivered this morning by mistake and pensions and benefits are being made to this person , I phoned 2 different numbers but none of the choice buttons cover anything like this , anyway I pressed one and waited and waited but was paying for the calls so eventually hung up ,I tried to email them but it says for general enquiries only,no names or addresses to be included , So could anyone advise what I could do I don't
really want to post it to them adding a letter because I opened it and I think it's illegal to open anyone elses post.
Community Updates
Misc
36 Comments
Write 'Not known at this address' as usual or bin them.
Original Poster
Yes but surely if they are getting benefits DWP should try and find the current address

Edited by: "jeany123" 23rd Mar 2012
jeany123

Yes but surely if they are getting benefits DWP should try and find the … Yes but surely if they are getting benefits DWP should try and find the current address

Exactly....so therefore not your problem but theirs!
Original Poster
cdm22

Exactly....so therefore not your problem but theirs!

You are right thank you
I have a similar problem. I keep getting fines and tax renewals from the dvla for a previous tenant.
Returned the fines to sender and wrote and spoke to dvla, yet STILL they come! oO
Original Poster
chuckiedoll

I have a similar problem. I keep getting fines and tax renewals from the … I have a similar problem. I keep getting fines and tax renewals from the dvla for a previous tenant.Returned the fines to sender and wrote and spoke to dvla, yet STILL they come! oO

I will just put them in the post box and return them, cdm 22 is right it's up to them to sort it, but it's still annoying
I get letters all the time for other people, I just bin them as I know the tenants before me have moved back to Africa, all debt letters.
Original Poster
pink-ka

I get letters all the time for other people, I just bin them as I know … I get letters all the time for other people, I just bin them as I know the tenants before me have moved back to Africa, all debt letters.

I think I worry too much
Radio programme was talking about something similar the other day and there was someone from CAB giving advice.....might be worth a listen.
bbc.co.uk/pro…57k
What should you do if an urgent, official-looking letter addressed to a previous resident drops through your door? Especially one that's threatening the bailiffs. Should you return to sender - or open it and deal with the consequences? Paul Lewis speaks to Money Box listener, Annie and gets advice from Susan Marks from the Citizens Advice Bureau

Only half caught it so can't remember what they said.

Edited by: "gari189" 23rd Mar 2012
someone might be fraudulently claiming benefits using your address, I would contact DWP asap
Banned
Just write on them not known at address and put them back in the post box!

Technically it is illegal to open someone elses post!
I'd be interested to see MagicJay's thoughts on this topic, to see it in legal terms. It seems to me that what the companies are doing is paradoxically wrong and right under the DPA. It's right because, and this goes for both Jeanie and Chuckie, you can't change information belonging to somebody else and the companies can't change the information on their systems without the explicit permission of the individual whose name it's under. This is for data security reasons.

It's also wrong because, also under the DPA, the companies are obliged to keep up-to-date and accurate information on people. Evidently, they don't, and they could be leaking anything to anybody. This is possibly the fault of the individual for not informing them of a change of address, or it could be the companies' faults for not updating when they were told to.

I think maybe speaking to the Information Comissioner might be the best step.
Original Poster
mceverready

Just write on them not known at address and put them back in the post … Just write on them not known at address and put them back in the post box!Technically it is illegal to open someone elses post!

which is what I already said
Original Poster
gari189

Radio programme was talking about something similar the other day and … Radio programme was talking about something similar the other day and there was someone from CAB giving advice.....might be worth a listen.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dc57k#synopsis What should you do if an urgent, official-looking letter addressed to a previous resident drops through your door? Especially one that's threatening the bailiffs. Should you return to sender - or open it and deal with the consequences? Paul Lewis speaks to Money Box listener, Annie and gets advice from Susan Marks from the Citizens Advice BureauOnly half caught it so can't remember what they said.

Thanks I will listen to that
Banned
jeany123

which is what I already said

So it is. Apologies.
weve had that in the past. I normally phone up and say if I keep on getting these threatening letters which are obviously wrongly addressed, I will be taking legal advice as it is causing undue stress. soon puts a stop to it.

Also,take names of people you talk to from the companies along with their office base etc. That will make sure they do their job as it feeds back to them if theyve not done what they are supposed to do.
Original Poster
dxx

I'd be interested to see MagicJay's thoughts on this topic, to see it in … I'd be interested to see MagicJay's thoughts on this topic, to see it in legal terms. It seems to me that what the companies are doing is paradoxically wrong and right under the DPA. It's right because, and this goes for both Jeanie and Chuckie, you can't change information belonging to somebody else and the companies can't change the information on their systems without the explicit permission of the individual whose name it's under. This is for data security reasons. It's also wrong because, also under the DPA, the companies are obliged to keep up-to-date and accurate information on people. Evidently, they don't, and they could be leaking anything to anybody. This is possibly the fault of the individual for not informing them of a change of address, or it could be the companies' faults for not updating when they were told to. I think maybe speaking to the Information Comissioner might be the best step.

Oh I didn't realise that they couldn't change it so I am probably wasting my time if I phone them
Original Poster
mceverready

So it is. Apologies.

It's ok I do the same
I would call them up again either early in the morning or late at night when its not so busy, just to make sure someone isnt making a claim using your address and to get them to stop sending mail.
Original Poster
EN1GMA

weve had that in the past. I normally phone up and say if I keep on … weve had that in the past. I normally phone up and say if I keep on getting these threatening letters which are obviously wrongly addressed, I will be taking legal advice as it is causing undue stress. soon puts a stop to it. Also,take names of people you talk to from the companies along with their office base etc. That will make sure they do their job as it feeds back to them if theyve not done what they are supposed to do.

We had other letters to start with and I returned them and they seem to have taken notice but the Works and Pensions keep sending them
jeany123

Oh I didn't realise that they couldn't change it so I am probably wasting … Oh I didn't realise that they couldn't change it so I am probably wasting my time if I phone them

dxx is thinking out loud. His views have no basis in law.
thesaint

dxx is thinking out loud. His views have no basis in law.

Yup, I am. It's a question I'm curious about though, so have you any thoughts on the subject?
Original Poster
dxx

Yup, I am. It's a question I'm curious about though, so have you any … Yup, I am. It's a question I'm curious about though, so have you any thoughts on the subject?

Oh right sorry, I will think about that and get back to you .
I have to go now but will be back thank you all for your suggestions so far
Original Poster
dxx I have been thinking about that, I think you might be right about them not being able to change things unless told by the person involved .When my husband was in hospital the DWP would not talk to me until I sent a signed letter from my husband giving his permission .I think the lady that lived here, went into a home so you would have thought that they would have informed everyone of the change of address if she had no relations to do this . Their failure to do this has resulted in the wrong people receiving personal information, then the department taking no notice when told it was the wrong address by me . They must pay the money into a bank so they should be able to get the right information from them.
If you haven't opened the letters you'll probably find that if you call they will just tell you to send them back marked "not at this address"
However if you push you can get them to trace the details of the person using the name and address and ask them to put it as "DLO" as its causing you stress. If they do this it prevents any further mail sent and suspends the persons benefits until further contact.

And with regards to trying to trace a persons whereabouts from their bank, having worked with benefits this isn't done, its more likely that they'd get the details from local social work.

Out of interest what benefit was it for? Having read this if its for State Pension or Pension Credit, their number is 0845 6060265 and they are open until 8 monday to friday. If it is and you call around 7pm you should get straight through from experience.
Edited by: "rogue_wolf81" 23rd Mar 2012
Original Poster
I have been sending them back marked not at this address for 2 years but we are still getting them, it isn't causing me stress as such but can't understand how they would pay benefits to people who they don't know the address of
contact your local royal mail delivery office and speak to the manager.Tell him what is happening and ask him to notify your postman that you would like only mail delivered through your door which has your names and surnames,any other names should then be "killed off" at the prepping stage! free as well i think.
Original Poster
whingygit

contact your local royal mail delivery office and speak to the … contact your local royal mail delivery office and speak to the manager.Tell him what is happening and ask him to notify your postman that you would like only mail delivered through your door which has your names and surnames,any other names should then be "killed off" at the prepping stage! free as well i think.

Thank you I didn't realise that you could do that.
Banned
mceverready

Just write on them not known at address and put them back in the post … Just write on them not known at address and put them back in the post box!Technically it is illegal to open someone elses post!

(3)A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s d … (3)A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

It isn't illegal though

So as long as you are not intending to act to a person's detriment it is not illegal.

legislation.gov.uk/ukp…t/V
We get post for our neighbours but they have the same surname and very similar address.
Original Poster
Thank you everyone I haven't decided what to do yet , I will read all your comments again and then decide .
Have you asked any of your neighbours if they are aware of a forwarding address for the previous occupant?

Do you recall which estate agent (or agents) advertised the property for sale?
You can ask them if they have kept a record of the name of the firm of solicitors representing the vendor of the property prior to your purchase/occupation.

You may have even kept some correspondence with these details in them.

You can then content the solicitors, explain the situation, & ask for their advice. They may be able to contact the addressee on your behalf.

BFN,

fp.
whingygit

contact your local royal mail delivery office and speak to the … contact your local royal mail delivery office and speak to the manager.Tell him what is happening and ask him to notify your postman that you would like only mail delivered through your door which has your names and surnames,any other names should then be "killed off" at the prepping stage! free as well i think.

The postman shouldn't be doing this(although many do, as it saves time).
The mail should be delivered to the address unless there is a redirection in place.
Original Poster
fanpages

Have you asked any of your neighbours if they are aware of a forwarding … Have you asked any of your neighbours if they are aware of a forwarding address for the previous occupant?Do you recall which estate agent (or agents) advertised the property for sale?You can ask them if they have kept a record of the name of the firm of solicitors representing the vendor of the property prior to your purchase/occupation.You may have even kept some correspondence with these details in them.You can then content the solicitors, explain the situation, & ask for their advice. They may be able to contact the addressee on your behalf.BFN,fp.

The neighbours said that she had gone into a home ,she was a elderly lady . I think it is up to the DWP to find her current address ,but after 2 years of sending letters back you would have thought that they would have by now.
Original Poster
Yesterday I was just so annoyed at spending time on the phone and there being no option to press to cover it ,looking for alternative numbers ,looking for email addresses then finding out that I couldn't send personal information in a email and being at a loss as how to contact them that I thought I would ask for advice .
jeany123

...I think it is up to the DWP to find her current address ,but after 2 … ...I think it is up to the DWP to find her current address ,but after 2 years of sending letters back you would have thought that they would have by now.

If somebody opens letters, & stacks them for other representatives to attend to, the fact the letter was "returned to sender" may be lost once the envelope is disposed of.

How about contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau?

[ citizensadvice.org.uk/ind…ice ]

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions