Groups

Advice appreciated on the best thickness of MDF to attach flat screen bracket to.

Basically am going to have a false chimney breast made and plan to bolt the bracket on before its fitted but was wondering if anyone could advise as to the best thickness for a secure fit. It will be holding a 32" so thats a rough idea of the weight its got to hold.
    Hope that made sense

10 Comments

hi personally i would attach the bracket to the frame work of the false chimney breast and just clad it with plaster board.

don't do it......................

or at least don't put it above about normal eye level when seated

awful to see perfectly good tellies put up about 6 foot up a wall

the NHS will be dealing with cricked necks for years to come!!

Original Poster

peterdg55;4353854

hi personally i would attach the bracket to the frame work of the false … hi personally i would attach the bracket to the frame work of the false chimney breast and just clad it with plaster board.

Surely MDF is going to hold a lot more weight than the frame work, I dont know but thank you for taking the time to help :thumbsup:

Original Poster

scrumpypaul;4353877

don't do it......................or at least don't put it above about … don't do it......................or at least don't put it above about normal eye level when seatedawful to see perfectly good tellies put up about 6 foot up a wallthe NHS will be dealing with cricked necks for years to come!!

Good thinking batman :thumbsup: am going to mock up a cardboard tv and find optimum level.

i got a lovely cantilever stand from tesco for my 32"

bit like this

pcwarehouseltd.co.uk/ima…jpg

but a lot cheaper

you can't see any cables cos of cable management, the tv looks (more or less) as if it's just floating, and there is a stack of room on the bottom of the stand for sky boxes, wii etc

think twice, no, think thrice before you wall mount a tv

The tv should be positioned so that the height of the middle of the tv is level with your eyes when you are seated. This tends to look a bit odd so most people go with their eyes level with the bottom of the screen.

The mdf may be stronger but you are still presumbly attaching the mdf to the frame so why not attach it directly to the frame?

Route the cables up through the false chimney - I use these
    home-networking-online.co.uk/aca…tml
    Cables go in the bottom at the skirting behind some units and come out behind the telly.

Alternatively you can buy trunking.
    chaseavdirect.co.uk/ccp…tml

Fitting screws to MDF is not that good Build a softwood frame and plasterboard over but mark the frame position and fix the brackets to that:thumbsup:

Original Poster

gari189;4354441

The tv should be positioned so that the height of the middle of the tv is … The tv should be positioned so that the height of the middle of the tv is level with your eyes when you are seated. This tends to look a bit odd so most people go with their eyes level with the bottom of the screen.The mdf may be stronger but you are still presumbly attaching the mdf to the frame so why not attach it directly to the frame?Route the cables up through the false chimney - I use these http://www.home-networking-online.co.uk/acatalog/Brush_Faceplates.html Cables go in the bottom at the skirting behind some units and come out behind the telly.Alternatively you can buy trunking.http://www.chaseavdirect.co.uk/ccp6/prod--BOSSCOM-Aluminium-Cable-Cover-Cable-Management-Tidy.html

Thanks, some good advice there.

Original Poster

mikebike;4355245

Fitting screws to MDF is not that good Build a softwood frame and … Fitting screws to MDF is not that good Build a softwood frame and plasterboard over but mark the frame position and fix the brackets to that:thumbsup:

Was going to bolt not screw

Original Poster

scrumpypaul;4354369

i got a lovely cantilever stand from tesco for my 32"bit like … i got a lovely cantilever stand from tesco for my 32"bit like thishttp://www.pcwarehouseltd.co.uk/images/products/4092.jpgbut a lot cheaperyou can't see any cables cos of cable management, the tv looks (more or less) as if it's just floating, and there is a stack of room on the bottom of the stand for sky boxes, wii etcthink twice, no, think thrice before you wall mount a tv

I should just say that I am having the false fire place made to cover a doorway (living room has 2 and I moved in with fairly new 3 and 4 seater sofas so positioning furniture is a nightmare) and tv needs to be on the wall really but thanks for your advice :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions