Groups

ADVICE-Been Given Old(ish) Computer-Turn it into a gaming machine!

Banned
    Hi,
    Ive been given the old home computer very kindly by my parents (had to work for it though =) I was after some advice on turning i into a machine capable of playing cod4 at highish settings and hopefully the new one when it comes out. I have a screen keyboard and mouse its just the base bit is quite old ( i think)
    My gaming standards are low given ive been playing cod4 on a white mabook with integrated graphics!

Anyway the specs are:
    Amd 3200+
    1gb ram
    550w psu
    6300gt graphics
    250gb hard drive

I have got a pretty small budget but id appreciate any ideas

26 Comments

The only part you'd be able to re-use would be the HDD and maybe the PSU...

Cod4 really doesnt require much performance to achieve good results. All i'd recommend you do is upgrade your graphics card. I warn you though, once you start upgrading you'll want to do more, and by the end of it there will be nothing left of your original system.

You can get better spec that this for £250...Sorry to say but put it in the bin!!!

Original Poster Banned

thanks for the input
    any ideas for the graphics card-sorry im not very good with pcs (more of a mac person)

tonyg1962;5539377

Is your card agp ?,i dont think there is such thing as a 6300gt

I would imagine it is if its running a 3200.
    Have you tried installing it and seeing what results you get?

Original Poster Banned

yup i installed vista and then cod:waw and it just didnt run...

For some odd reason the computer as a whole gets high scores in the index rating (5s???)

Its cos that machine is a workhorse, good little PC.

What Graphic card you got? is it AGP or PCI-E if you want a hand finding out just ask
    This makes a difference as if its AGP it will be worth upgrapping 3 bits of your PC at least and maybe the PSU depending on the wattage.
    So you know the wattage of the PSU?

Original Poster Banned

Im sorry i dont know right now Ill take the cover off tomorow morning and get as much info as possible

olivier81;5540413

Im sorry i dont know right now Ill take the cover off tomorow morning and … Im sorry i dont know right now Ill take the cover off tomorow morning and get as much info as possible

If you click "RUN" in your "Start" bar and type "DXDIAG" you should be able to tell if your AGP or PCI-E from there

What is your limit really for the PC BTW?

Original Poster Banned

ok ill do that

Original Poster Banned

well i bought a ps3 but had a quick game on time crisis and couldnt get used to the joysticks. Think id prefer keyboard and mouse anyway/ So really the money I can get from the ps3-around £200?

olivier81;5540413

Im sorry i dont know right now Ill take the cover off tomorow morning and … Im sorry i dont know right now Ill take the cover off tomorow morning and get as much info as possible

That'll help with the PSU, but CPU-Z and GPU-Z are better choices for the internals.

Is that 3200 an Athlon XP or Athlon 64?

Original Poster Banned

um its 3200+ off the top of my head and i think 64
    definitely not dual core or anything

This is around your pricerange and would give you a kicking PC for the cash, you could upgrade bits later, like give yourself a Quadcore or double the ram to 4Gb, but this is a very solid PC from the bits you have and would last a while, hope it helps, its ebuyer.com BTW
    Remember you might need a PSU though and that would be an extra £15 if yours is 450Watts upwards then you might be ok. You would have to check the connectors though, to make sure you have the connection to connect the GPU card, If you have 450W you can just buy an adaptor if you dont have the connection.

MSI K9A2 Neo-F 770 Socket AM2+ 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard £47.99

ASUS HD 4850 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card £93.80

Crucial 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL6 Lifetime Warranty£18.80
    AMD Athlon X2 7850 2.8GHz Black Edition Socket AM2+ 3MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor £52.26

£212.85

As long as the system has a PCI-E slot, there's no reason that you can't just put a 4870 (approx £90, see the Deals section) in there. Games don't need a massive amount of CPU power. Most of them aren't even multi-threaded, so they wouldn't even take advantage of a multicore chip if you had one. An Athlon 64 3200 isn't a bad chip, even today. If you try running COD4 on the existing spec using the lowest video settings (ie. turn stuff like shader, texture res, screen res to as low as they go, since they're the things that only the video card deals with), you'll get a rough idea of how smoothly the game will perform with that CPU and witht he 4870 if it was set to high res.

An extra gig of RAM wouldn't be bad. Play sells a 1GB stick for £18, although youc an buy it cheaper second-hand. It'll do wonders for your loading times.

Original Poster Banned

Chuckles1001;5541064

This is around your pricerange and would give you a kicking PC for the … This is around your pricerange and would give you a kicking PC for the cash, you could upgrade bits later, like give yourself a Quadcore or double the ram to 4Gb, but this is a very solid PC from the bits you have and would last a while, hope it helps, its ebuyer.com BTW :)Remember you might need a PSU though and that would be an extra £15 if yours is 450Watts upwards then you might be ok. You would have to check the connectors though, to make sure you have the connection to connect the GPU card, If you have 450W you can just buy an adaptor if you dont have the connection.MSI K9A2 Neo-F 770 Socket AM2+ 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard £47.99ASUS HD 4850 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card £93.80Crucial 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL6 Lifetime Warranty£18.80AMD Athlon X2 7850 2.8GHz Black Edition Socket AM2+ 3MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor £52.26£212.85

Thanks for all that its really appreciated. Unfortunately I had forgotten that I borrowed £100 off my parents to buy the ps3 in the first place:oops:
    Therefore I only have £100 left (if I can sell it well)
    Id be willing to buy second hand components either from ebay or on here if that'll make it a bit cheaper

Original Poster Banned

To Update opened it up:

The PSU is a 550W HSE

I installed the programs and took a screenshot:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8342/82633498.th.jpg

For some reason its only addressing 512mb of ram when last time i turned it on (about 3 weeks ago) it had 1gb 100% positive. Thats slightly worrying...

FInally to add it would be great if cod4 could be played at native res (1920*1200)

olivier81;5541868

To Update opened it up:The PSU is a 550W HSE I installed the programs and … To Update opened it up:The PSU is a 550W HSE I installed the programs and took a screenshot:For some reason its only addressing 512mb of ram when last time i turned it on (about 3 weeks ago) it had 1gb 100% positive. Thats slightly worrying...FInally to add it would be great if cod4 could be played at native res (1920*1200)

What is the GPU card? Maybe you have a GB in your PC but maybe the GPU is using 512Mb, which would mean Windows only says you have 512mb?

Your PSU is good enough, you would have to check to see if it has PCI-E connector???
    Also what GPU slot has your PC got?

You can sort out something for £100 either way, if you just need a card or to change your Mobo, RAM & GPU. its a sliding scale, when you find things out I can sort you out

olivier81;5541868

The PSU is a 550W HSE

you bneed the rating details off the label on the side as well as the number and type of connector it's got (or a model number that'll bring up a webpage with those details, the rating and an unknown brand name don't really help.

Original Poster Banned

ok ill get that off the psu as to what the graphics card is and all the details if you make the screenshot full size you can see all of it (gpu-z and cpu-z i think). My error in the original post its actually a 6600gt

Not sure If i have missed it yet, but cant see if you have told anyone what GPU card you have (SLOT TYPE), Is it AGP or PCI-E???

Chuckles1001;5548241

Not sure If i have missed it yet, but cant see if you have told anyone … Not sure If i have missed it yet, but cant see if you have told anyone what GPU card you have (SLOT TYPE), Is it AGP or PCI-E???

Post 19 PCI-E:thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

Sorry I didn't make it clear enough. The screenshot has all the cpu-z windows and the gpu-z ones. I dont know how to interpret all the stuff in there but evidently the person above me does!

dcx_badass;5549189

Read my post above, add 2gb more ram and get a nvidia 8800GT or 8800gs … Read my post above, add 2gb more ram and get a nvidia 8800GT or 8800gs do't remember which is cheaper, should be able to do that for like £70 with new parts, will make a big difference!

+ 1 but I would go with ATI GPU but that is preffrence

Also have you tried playing the games you want to play on your PC with the settings up? If so how does it work?

Original Poster Banned

I had a look and ddr ram is so expensive! Is it worth replacing the motherboard gpu, processor and ram?

olivier81;5550483

I had a look and ddr ram is so expensive! Is it worth replacing the … I had a look and ddr ram is so expensive! Is it worth replacing the motherboard gpu, processor and ram?

Thats down to you, you should check how good you need it to be by checking the games you want to play.

DDR Ram 2Gb £20ish
    Mobo £40ish
    CPU between £40~£120
    GPU roughly £50~£100

these prices are rough Idea for what you should go for if you decide to go for the whole lot, and then a range in those without getting to expenisve while still imporving
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423014438
      2. Money Saving Tips...2139
      3. Well Done Turkey, Education improvement1433
      4. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710945

See more discussions