Groups

Advice - Cheap 5.1 Surround Sound System

Hoping someone with more understanding than me can help.

I'm looking for a cheap 5.1 Surround Sound system for my living room, I have a xBox 360, Sky+ Box and LCD TV all seem to have Optical Outs - I only use the TV for the xBox and the Sky so guessing I would want to connect them via Optical Out.

I currently use a Logitech 5.1 Set (amazon.co.uk/Log…1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240173120&sr=8-1) which I think is meant for a PC and have it connected via red and black cables.

Normally I'm alright with AV kit but lost on the sound issues.
    Can I expect a lot better sound quality with a true 5.1 System - how much do I need to spend?

Rep for help!

10 Comments

Original Poster

Hoping someone with more understanding than me can help.

I'm looking for a cheap 5.1 Surround Sound system for my living room, I have a xBox 360, Sky+ Box and LCD TV all seem to have Optical Outs - I only use the TV for the xBox and the Sky so guessing I would want to connect them via Optical Out.

I currently use a Logitech 5.1 Set (]Link Here) which I think is meant for a PC and have it connected via red and black cables.

Normally I'm alright with AV kit but lost on the sound issues.
    Can I expect a lot better sound quality with a true 5.1 System - how much do I need to spend?

Rep for help!

You will get a better sound from a proper setup. As long as the source is outputting 5.1 sound. It's a pity most don't.

I don't know how much you want to spend but these type of systems (with optical in) are rarely available cheaply.
    It will probably cost at least £150 brand new.
    I've got a 5.1 surround system but it's a very cheap one. It's made by 4gamers. I bought it second hand and paid £30. It's discontinued but you might be able to find someone selling it in the loot, on hotukdeals trade section or on auction sites.
    When I decided to get a system I was also considering the Pioneer HTP-GS1. It's all singing, all dancing with all the bells and whistles. It has 2 optical inputs which is a big plus. I can't vouch for it as I don't own it but it's very good from what I hear. It will cost an absolute minimum of £200 brand new and maybe £150 used if you are lucky and/or willing to buy used.
    Another system you could consider is the Spherex system marketed by Joytech in the United Kingdom. Again I can't vouch for it but it got great reviews in the offcial Xbox magazine. It's quite expensive (will cost around same as Pioneer) and will be hard to find.

If you get a system with only one optical input you can still connect multiple opticals through a Y-splitter. You can get these in Maplin or more cheaply on auction sites.
    All Xbox and Xbox 360 games can output in 5.1 surround sound. On the Xbox 360 you need to use the advanced audio dongle with optical out. You will also need to change the settings on the dashboard to output sound in 5.1.

Original Poster

Thanks for advice particularly Andrewolu's lengthy and detailed explanation, sounds like the sort of system is a bit pricer than I thought - will have to put this onhold as there are other priorites at the moment.

Rep left - it even gave you a extra yellow light!

i was in asda on friday and they have a 5.1 system for £39.99 i think it said 75w power and i don't know how good it was but you could get it and if you didn't like it take it back, unlike if you bought of the internet, it looked half decent:-D

So it did. Thanks.
    If only more people left reputation

Good luck with your search.

waycash;4974740

i was in asda on friday and they have a 5.1 system for £39.99 i think it … i was in asda on friday and they have a 5.1 system for £39.99 i think it said 75w power and i don't know how good it was but you could get it and if you didn't like it take it back, unlike if you bought of the internet, it looked half decent:-D

I bet you any money you like that system does not have optical in.

Andrewolu;4974815

I bet you any money you like that system does not have optical in.

thats almost guaranteed.

if you have a cash convertors local or similar, pop in and have a look. ive heard of fairly decent av receivers going for £50-60. could very well have an optical input or 2. they would be much better than throwing money at a cheap all in one 5.1 system from a supermarket.

this is the one ive got dude:

comet.co.uk/sho…XEU

its £169.99 at comet, but i got it for £130 on ebay, and id bet that you can find it for a similar price on there aswell..im knackered lol so off to bed and havnt got the energy to go into much detail, but its got optical out, aswell as a hdmi port, true 5.1 surround sound etc...brilliant system, especially if you can find it on ebay for cheaper...please feel free to message me if you have any questions and ill answer them when im more awake! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Cheers guys - that Samsung set is the one I want aswell after a good bit of looking around!

Rep left
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846166
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764206
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio44
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?31136

See more discussions