Groups

*Advice for a new desktop- required processor power?

Hello all!

I'm receiving a new desktop off my father in law (lucky me) with which I will be using it for editing HD video and day to day computer tasks. I keep my eye on the latest Dell offers (MikeT) and have seen quite a few recently. BUT... would a Intel Core-Duo Processor 2.2 suffice? My budget is £400 for the base only. I will have 4gb of ram installed. This deal today seems a good offer...

hotukdeals.com/ite…-2/

Thank you in advance for any advice. I would really appreciate it. :-)

5 Comments

I have a dual core 2.4 laptop 3gb ram and a quad core 2.4 desktop 4gb ram and there is a difference in speed for video editing but cannot really tell in everyday usage.

A 2.2 dual should suffice for most tasks.

Original Poster

krunchynutt;3709618

I have a dual core 2.4 laptop 3gb ram and a quad core 2.4 desktop 4gb ram … I have a dual core 2.4 laptop 3gb ram and a quad core 2.4 desktop 4gb ram and there is a difference in speed for video editing but cannot really tell in everyday usage.A 2.2 dual should suffice for most tasks.

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

If the HD video editing software can use all 4 cores and you envisage using it a lot its well worth considering a 4 core setup, otherwise the 2 core will be fine

Original Poster

jah128;3710129

If the HD video editing software can use all 4 cores and you envisage … If the HD video editing software can use all 4 cores and you envisage using it a lot its well worth considering a 4 core setup, otherwise the 2 core will be fine

Ahh that's a good point. I have a copy of Vegas, which I believe uses the 4 core setup. Now to find a nice little quad core desktop :-D

Thank you

Video editing scales well so its not too hard to estimate what performance you will get. Trouble is most things aren't that well multi-threaded so for many applications a 3GHz dual-core is upto 25% faster than a 2.4GHz quad-core (of course both are powerful enough for most tasks regardless!).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846181
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764253
      3. Find out how good your GP surgery is99
      4. What do these 2 men have in common1422

See more discussions