Expired

Advice for bank error

Found 21st Aug 2017
Hi all just wondering if I could get some advise on a recent bank error that's worked in my favour.

I recently made a transfer from bank account to PayPal instead of withdrawing funds from my PayPal account to bank account by mistake. I contacted the bank on friday to cancel this as it was in error, which was fine, the money was refunded to my account that evening as it had not gone out as an authorised direct debit yet.

Today however I had an email from PayPal saying the transfer has been complete with £400 deposited to my PayPal account. 2 minutes later another email from PayPal stating that a transaction for £20 had been cancelled by the bank.

Basically I think the bank have refunded the £400 requested but cancelled the wrong direct debit request (the £20 one) which now leaves me with an extra £380 sat in my PayPal. Do I inform the bank of the mistake or ride it out?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Why do so many people on this website need other people's help in deciding whether or not to do the right thing?
9 Comments
The bank always finds out eventually, not worth the risk
Why do so many people on this website need other people's help in deciding whether or not to do the right thing?
RossD895 m ago

Why do so many people on this website need other people's help in deciding …Why do so many people on this website need other people's help in deciding whether or not to do the right thing?

Because Google shows no results for bank errors relating to the consumer being in favour. And it all depends on what you class as the "right" thing.
Contact your bank and explain what happened. Only way to keep the money is to get in writing from the bank that it's your money.
MrClifford50 m ago

Because Google shows no results for bank errors relating to the consumer …Because Google shows no results for bank errors relating to the consumer being in favour. And it all depends on what you class as the "right" thing.

Wow... You tried to Google an answer for this?

It's quite clear what I implied when saying "the right thing".

...Unless you believe that theft is righteous... and given that you have asked this question I wouldn't be surprised.
Edited by: "RossD89" 21st Aug 2017
they normally spot these sort of things later down the line and sort it out themselves. banks are very pedantic with paper work and rarely make mistakes without rectifying them as they get audited. however, it is not impossible that it fall through the loop. it is not your responsibility to sort out their errors so if it was me, i would just leave things as they are with the expectation that the bank will probably do the correction at some point.

however if not then you would be in profit
sounds more like a Paypal error to me...?
MrClifford27 m ago

Because Google shows no results for bank errors relating to the consumer …Because Google shows no results for bank errors relating to the consumer being in favour. And it all depends on what you class as the "right" thing.

It's not your money. Surely, without having to think too hard, the 'right thing' is to give the money back to the owner.
MrClifford28 m ago

I think you will find it does
Bank error in your favour
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions