Advice for booking a safari

Posted 31st Oct
My fiancé and I are hoping to go on a safari in South Africa for our honeymoon next autumn and are starting to look at various options. I was wondering if anyone had any experience as to whether better value tends to be found in booking flights and everything individually or getting a package that covers everything?

Also, has anyone done any safari experiences that they particularly recommend?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
When you're there try very hard not to sing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".

It's just a whim away.
Hi, where about in South Africa are you going? There's certainly going to be a lot of options for you. Suiting all budgets too. I can try and help you as much as possible. I got married in Cape Town and lived there for a while too. I've done safaris all over the country too, so hopefully I can help out a little bit!
Eastern Cape has some really nice safari places. Addo Elephant Park and Double Drift which is more non-commercial.
We did Kruger National Park ( Flew to Nelspruit) and stayed in Marloth Park. Had 4 nights at Bushwise Safari lodge and they picked us up from the airport. Did two day time safaris and two at night. Holiday of a life time and managed to see all the big five. Booked independently. Did Capetown and the Garden route on the same trip. Flew London- Johannesburg - Nelspruit - Johannesburg - Capetown -London
chuckiedoll31/10/2019 10:12

Eastern Cape has some really nice safari places. Addo Elephant Park and …Eastern Cape has some really nice safari places. Addo Elephant Park and Double Drift which is more non-commercial.

I spent 8 hours driving around Addo, and didn't see a single elephant!! Was the hottest day of the year mind you..

We stayed at an awesome chalet right by Addo - lenmore-addo.com/

There's a great private game reserve up the coast in East London - Inkwenkwezi.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hot…tml
I think there were some people on The Apprentice who could help
I'm going in January for my 50th.

Flights
Glasgow - Dubai (1 night stopover) - Joberg
Joberg - Cape Town
Cape Town - Dubai - Glasgow

All in with Emirates £730

I booked a Safari with xanatseni private camp, we are driving from Joberg to the camp (6 hr drive) for 3 nights all inclusive with private safaris for 26500 rand per night for all 4 of us - £1350 a night

We then move on to Cape town, Kynsna and Camps Bay - all hotels booked online at around £100 a night for 2 people.

The whole trip cost is around £5k per couple including all car hire, hotels etc and a stopover in Dubai.

All the packages I looked at were pretty rubbish for this price and were quite limited. I've been planning since April and completed all bookings etc at the weekend. Now on a countdown 11 weeks to go

Please shout back if you want any more info.
adam_holcombe31/10/2019 11:53

I spent 8 hours driving around Addo, and didn't see a single elephant!! …I spent 8 hours driving around Addo, and didn't see a single elephant!! Was the hottest day of the year mind you.. We stayed at an awesome chalet right by Addo - http://www.lenmore-addo.com/There's a great private game reserve up the coast in East London - Inkwenkwezi.https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g312556-d1174370-Reviews-Inkwenkwezi_Private_Game_Reserve_Safari_Lodge-East_London_Eastern_Cape.html

Used to live in East London but unfortunately never had the opportunity to go to Inkwenkwezi
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants