Advice for buying from Dell Outlet please

Found 15th Feb 2009
Hi, im in the market for a new laptop. Have around the £400 mark to spend on it and i think i want to buy a dell. It is only really going to be used for the internet and word processing. I would like the largest sreen i could possible get which i think will be around the 17" if i buy from dell outlet.

So wht do i need to look out for? It doesnt really give u much info on the laptops, if there a way which i can find out more? How often does it get updated? Is there a best time to buy from there? How long is the guarantee on them? What condition should i expect the laptop to be in?

thanks for you help, sorry about all of the questions!

x

1. Misc
  2. Dell
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Dell
10 Comments

All my personal experiences with dell has been bad. Dell laptops are cheap but they give up in a year or two. my advice..stay away from dell.....grab a sony or toshiba

Most lappys are returns and therefore brand new, 17" will be too big IMO for a laptop and in that budget you;ll find it highly difficult to find one. You can probably get a dell 1525 for £400 odd

Don't worry about 'all' dells being cheap and giving up in a year or two....
I am typing this on a dell Inspiron 8100 Lappy from 2001:thumbsup:
sure bits have gone wrong with it, but the parts are available...
I bought my sone a vostro 1500 from the outlet last year great spec and solid a s a rock...

they update at potentially any time of day...you have to keep checking back...
I don't know if its changed since I bought at christmas 07, but once I found 'a' time it varied by up to 1 hour each day for about two weeks... but be warned they fly outa there when they get put in...
If youre not after anything special , you might not have so much trouble

My experience with the "outlet" was good ...

Good Luck

If you click on the System Identifier code (the blue text on the left) you'll get a box up with info on the system. If you need more (and your using Firefox) right click on that box and 'view source' scroll down about 2 screens until you see a line that looks a bit like this...
The bit that read G4F834J is the service tag for the system and will be different for every machine. Once you've got that go to
support.dell.com/sup…ied
and enter the tag and you'll get a full run down of the system, built date and where it was made.

You have to keep checking the Outlet page every hour if you want a real bargain, I've just got a Studio 1737 with Dual core 2.16 cpu, 250 gig hd, 3 gig ram, 2 gig webcam, HDMI out and all the standard bit (card reader etc) for £320 but it took a week to find it (I built the same system on the Dell site and it came to 800 quid !!).

Original Poster

Thanks for all of you advice everyone, just one more question.

Can i buy from the business part even if i dont have a business?

Yes, but you don't get the same T&C's as a private buyer when you buy as a business.

and to answer your other questions, the guarantee is the standard Dell 1 year and the machines are as new. They've either never left the factory (ie the order was cancelled before the unit shipped) or they've been out and come straight back, but Dell refub them all before shipping tham any way.
I've had 2 so far and they were both just like new (apart from costing less than half the normal price !!).

Original Poster

Great, thanks u have been a real big help to me. I have gave you some yep

Dont suppose wht i should be looking for in a laptop please, i really am clueless, like wht type of processor?

It doesnt really give u much info on the laptops, if there a way which i can find out more? - if you click the laptop identifier you should get a pop up window giving you more detailed specs

How often does it get updated? - Never seen a defintive answer on this, I think it just depends on what machines are coming in. Sometimes the Outlet is very quiet with few good deals, other times they are flooding in it just needs patience.

Is there a best time to buy from there? - As above, I don't think there is.

How long is the guarantee on them? - Same as if buying the machine from the main Dell site, one year for most machines, three years for Latitudes/Precisions

What condition should i expect the laptop to be in? - Brand new, I've bought quite a few Outlet machines and you wouldn't be able to tell that they were as all the machines were properly packaged up with the various packaging protectors attached to the laptop.

I disagree strongly with the recommendation for Sony or Toshiba, in this pricerange on the Outlet you'll get a far better built machine than a cheap Sony or Toshiba (I don't hold the latter in high regard as I've seen way too many failures on them) particularly if you go for a Vostro 17 which has a mag-alloy chassis and spill proof keyboard. Sony do make some decent highend machines but for their budget models you're paying for the name rather than the machine.

John

mum2b;4384732

Great, thanks u have been a real big help to me. I have gave you some yep … Great, thanks u have been a real big help to me. I have gave you some yep :)Dont suppose wht i should be looking for in a laptop please, i really am clueless, like wht type of processor?

For internet and word processing the processor really doesn't matter as even the slowest ones available are going to be plenty for that. To be honest most of the specs aren't really going to matter aside from the larger screen which you know to look for already. As the machine will probably come with Vista I'd stick with 2GB or more although if you see a great deal on a 1GB machine it's easy enough and cheap to add ram.

John

I bought the one in this thread (see below), primarily to use for the same purposes as you, and I have to say I'm impressed with it so far. Does exactly what I need it to and runs really quickly compared to my ancient desktop. And it looks nice in a satin blue finish too.

hotukdeals.com/ite…-b/
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition56523
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle22
    3. Free flights to Europe711
    4. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)44

See more discussions