Found 9th Feb
I was wondering if anyone knows what too expect on a CBT, how much it'll cost and how long it would take too complete

1. Ask
  2. Weights
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Weights
20 Comments

If your on about CBT for riding a scooter don't expect much from the test, as long as you can ride and stop the bike your pretty much pass.

Also it is about £90- £120 depending on area.
Edited by: "dalecool92" 9th Feb

Original Poster

squiff

*to*toI'm guessing you mean Cognitive Behavioural Therapy? You probably … *to*toI'm guessing you mean Cognitive Behavioural Therapy? You probably need to qualify a a psychologist first, if you're not already.

​CBT compulsory basic training

Original Poster

dalecool92

If your on about CBT for riding a scooter don't expect much from the … If your on about CBT for riding a scooter don't expect much from the test, as long as you can ride and stop the bike your pretty much pass.Also it is about £90- £120 depending on area.

​thank you you know what size engine I could ride after I get the certificate

Done mine years ago don't know if it's changed from then, but had 2-3 hours theory, then an hour getting used to the bike and a walk through on basics then a good few hours of riding on the road. Borrowed one of the centres bike, was a wreck and gears were knackered and brake was failing, passed easily, dont think they failed anyone that day so guessing it's a low failure rate.

danh88

​thank you you know what size engine I could ride after I get the c … ​thank you you know what size engine I could ride after I get the certificate

​Depending on age, 125cc max

Original Poster

stoneblade

​Depending on age, 125cc max

​thank you sounds as a 125cc will be the highest for me then seeing as nearly 30

danh88

​thank you sounds as a 125cc will be the highest for me then seeing as n … ​thank you sounds as a 125cc will be the highest for me then seeing as nearly 30

​Yeah, you will have to have a L plate on always though til you pass full test.

If your over 17 then 125cc and you always have to show a L plate on the back and must not carry anyone on the back

did mine less than 2 years ago, on a 125

so first of all, it's training as you say - it's not a test, they don't fail you but if you do exceptionally bad they will bring you back for further training

on my cbt day we turned up at the shop, they talked us through general safety things and then we headed off to a empty car park where you just drive in circles and stuff, then after lunch they take you all out on the road (usually 2 people per instructor) and you just drive around a few road, eventually you will pull off somewhere to do an emergency stop and a U turn

then you head back to the shop and collect your certificate

I think £70 with bike rental, and take about 8hours (with lunch break)

sos just read other replies

so since you're 30 (therefore over 24) you can just do a direct access if you wanted which usually includes CBT, test 1 and test 2 in the price (you will have to complete the theory in advanced I think) - if you do this it costs around £700 including rental and then you can ride any bike you want

I'd probably recommend doing cbt then riding for like 6 months before taking a full test but some people may think I'm stupid for saying that
Edited by: "murtgurge" 9th Feb

Did mine about Sept 2016
Safety (clothing)
Safety (riding (theory & practical including which lane/part of lane to use at junction & roundabouts)
Safety (bike (theory & practical)
Control of bike (including safety (blindspot,signal) etc @ slow speed, during U turn and emergency stop)
Then if the tester is happy it's a 2 hour (I think) ride (under supervision with directions given over intercom) and they won't tell you if you make a mistake.

If I think of anything else I'll add later

Just remember keep checking mirrors & blindspot (can't remember correct term my trainer used) at every possible hazard, use indicators, keep distance and don't speed unless to escape injury

When I say theory - it's basically them explaining with some drawings etc and possibly answering (verbally) questions

Having been (IMHO) a good driver for many years and also a keen cyclist this made my test go well. He told me after a short time riding when we pulled into a store car park if I could pass you now I would but I have to do the full ride
Edited by: "philphil61" 9th Feb

philphil61

Did mine about Sept 2016Safety (clothing)Safety (riding (theory & … Did mine about Sept 2016Safety (clothing)Safety (riding (theory & practical including which lane/part of lane to use at junction & roundabouts) Safety (bike (theory & practical)Control of bike (including safety (blindspot,signal) etc @ slow speed, during U turn and emergency stop)Then if the tester is happy it's a 2 hour (I think) ride (under supervision with directions given over intercom) and they won't tell you if you make a mistake.If I think of anything else I'll add laterJust remember keep checking mirrors & blindspot (can't remember correct term my trainer used) at every possible hazard, use indicators, keep distance and don't speed unless to escape injuryWhen I say theory - it's basically them explaining with some drawings etc and possibly answering (verbally) questionsHaving been (IMHO) a good driver for many years and also a keen cyclist this made my test go well. He told me after a short time riding when we pulled into a store car park if I could pass you now I would but I have to do the full ride

mm cbt isn't a test it's training so if they didn't tell you when you did things wrong then they are just bad instructors

murtgurge

mm cbt isn't a test it's training so if they didn't tell you when you … mm cbt isn't a test it's training so if they didn't tell you when you did things wrong then they are just bad instructors

It's not a test you say?

OK and you get a certificate if you pass the CBT which gives you "permission/authority/legal right" to ride up to a 125cc (if old enough) and if the tester considers you are not safe enough you don't get the CBT certificate

But it's not a test? wtf

My trainer/tester only gave me directions over the intercom - now it could be that I'm an excellent student/competent motorcyclist/road user and didn't make any mistakes

Yeah right and it's not a test

philphil61

It's not a test you say?OK and you get a certificate if you pass the CBT … It's not a test you say?OK and you get a certificate if you pass the CBT which gives you "permission/authority/legal right" to ride up to a 125cc (if old enough) and if the tester considers you are not safe enough you don't get the CBT certificateBut it's not a test? wtfMy trainer/tester only gave me directions over the intercom - now it could be that I'm an excellent student/competent motorcyclist/road user and didn't make any mistakesYeah right and it's not a test

Loving the down votes
Just wish any that voted it down can argue the fact?

Pop along to the motor bike forum and look around the CBT section
themotorbikeforum.co.uk/vie…=47

Lots of details and experiences from people who are going through the learning process. I did CBT last year but then knackered my knee (not falling off a bike ) so I've not done my DAS test yet.
CBT is basic training as in the name. Gets you used to the real basics so that you are deemed competent to go out on the road.
Various theory stuff, which you'll know anyway if you've done any reading. Practical stuff covers the controls and very basic roadcraft followed by a couple of hours on the road with an instructor.

CBT is a gateway sort of thing, you need to demonstrate that you've learned what they teach you. When I did mine it was me and a young lad who struggled to 'get' the clutch/gears and he ended up having to go back another day as they discussed with him that he wasnt at a point where he would be safe on the road.
Edited by: "mas99" 9th Feb

philphil61

Then if the tester is happy it's a 2 hour (I think) ride (under … Then if the tester is happy it's a 2 hour (I think) ride (under supervision with directions given over intercom) and they won't tell you if you make a mistake.

That seems odd. I certainly got feedback as I was riding about. As well as the regular 'Indicators!' , commentary on how I was doing and what options I had. My ride took me through the centre of town, across a couple of notorious 3 lane roundabouts and past a couple of big schools between 3 and 5pm so very busy. Instructor talked about filtering options, road conditions, other drivers, kids, etc.

(btw - not me thats downvoting you)
Edited by: "mas99" 9th Feb

gov.uk/gui…tes

Short of it.
2ish hours of classroom going over the basics
2ish hours of on site training
2+hours of on road training
Total time including a few tea breaks and lunch is normally just over 8 hours.

Take any safety equipment you already have, failing that boots, jeans , t shirt and jumper. They should supply equipment, but the more sensible you go dressed the more they will appreciate it and understand your taking it seriously.

Cost is £100-£150 depending on location and time of the week.

If after the on site training your not safe enough to go on the road they will stop the course. Same goes if our unsafe on the actual road.
Most places will off massively reduced or free additional training to help you pass.

mas99

That seems odd. I certainly got feedback as I was riding about. As … That seems odd. I certainly got feedback as I was riding about. As well as the regular 'Indicators!' , commentary on how I was doing and what options I had. My ride took me through the centre of town, across a couple of notorious 3 lane roundabouts and past a couple of big schools between 3 and 5pm so very busy. Instructor talked about filtering options, road conditions, other drivers, kids, etc.(btw - not me thats downvoting you)

Mine picked up on one issue but only after he handed me the certificate
Maybe because the instructors/trainers are human and therefore have their own individual ways of "instructing"?

Thanks for confirming you are not down voting but the down votes means nothing to me whatsoever without a valid argument to substantiate (in other words they are just keyboard warriors who don't like to be proven wrong )

Have a good one mas99

murtgurge

so since you're 30 (therefore over 24) you can just do a direct access if … so since you're 30 (therefore over 24) you can just do a direct access if you wanted which usually includes CBT, test 1 and test 2 in the price (you will have to complete the theory in advanced I think) - if you do this it costs around £700 including rental and then you can ride any bike you wantI'd probably recommend doing cbt then riding for like 6 months before taking a full test but some people may think I'm stupid for saying that

You have to do the theory test before you can do Mod 1, and you have to do mod 1 before mod 2.

I've been umming and ahhing about getting a 125, but the 650 I've been riding on the DAS lessons is massively better and easier to ride. I can see the argument for pottering about a bit on a 125, but really you want to be on something bigger asap. 125's struggle on the open road/hills just because they are so underpowered.

danh88

​thank you sounds as a 125cc will be the highest for me then seeing as n … ​thank you sounds as a 125cc will be the highest for me then seeing as nearly 30

Its worse than that

You're limited to a 125 with less than 15bhp - so forget all those whizzy 2strokes.
ybr/cbf/ etc are all around 10hp. 'sports' 4 strokes like the yzr, cbr and the aprillia rs4 are up at 14hp.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. One4all gift cards can only be converted to Amazon codes until MIDNIGHT TON…11
    2. Anyone else bored of video gaming2745
    3. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21132
    4. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games11

See more discussions