Advice for holiday refund

Posted 14th AprEdited by:"MrSprkle"
So I was in Egypt on the 14th of March, the Egyptian government announced the closure of all international flights and on the 19th our flights were cancelled, I managed to get a repatriation flight by the 21st but we lost the rest of our holiday, also during the time we were there, the hotel on the announcement, turned off AC, the all inclusive became a very limited meal each night, basically they shut the hotel down to minimal support and staff and all of us customers were left to deal with a very poor offering, didn't even heat the pool which in March at Hurghada is bloody freezing..

My Holiday was booked as a package through a local travel agency, but are acting like its out of their hands and I need to await the hotel to offer a refund and compensation as well as easy-jet, so far been offered, £10.00 per person per night refund, there was 7 of us, we had 7 days remaining on our holiday and most of what we had was not what was promised, this refund is about a 1/6 the cost of the holiday in total.

I cannot find any info about my circumstances so any one aware of how this works, who is liable what i should expect?

is it just an Insurance jobby or can i claim through ATOL or even section 75 as i paid on my credit card?

any help will be appreciated.

to note the hotel as since wrote back confirming that the hoilday was cut short and services were removed, but advised they will not be offering any compensation.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
Booked and/or paid on-premises at local travel agent or booked/paid off-premises?
AndyRoyd14/04/2020 23:39

Booked and/or paid on-premises at local travel agent or booked/paid …Booked and/or paid on-premises at local travel agent or booked/paid off-premises?

I paid over the phone, so off premises
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 14th Apr
deleted341252
If you had travel insurance I would claim on that as it would be a nightmare to claim from various different companies.

Also ring the credit card company and see if its too late to do a charge back - if you paid credit card???
MrSprkle14/04/2020 23:51

I paid over the phone, so off premises

Did you pay the £2.50 extra for atol protection and receive atol certification? If not, then you can't claim via atol.
Going on Holiday during a pandemic lol.
Why not just ring credit card, atol and insurance company. Only they can help and they will advise which is best option. They will all pass the buck so stick at it and get everything in email or writing stating what they will or won’t do. You always have small claims court as well..
Moral of the story. Don’t go to Egypt
Foxybunny15/04/2020 09:24

Going on Holiday during a pandemic lol.

FCO said it was fine we followed government advice..
Deal_Snatcher15/04/2020 10:24

Moral of the story. Don’t go to Egypt

Why? Been loads this could of happened in Spain, France... Italy?
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 15th Apr
Bargainhead15/04/2020 09:32

Why not just ring credit card, atol and insurance company. Only they can …Why not just ring credit card, atol and insurance company. Only they can help and they will advise which is best option. They will all pass the buck so stick at it and get everything in email or writing stating what they will or won’t do. You always have small claims court as well..

Try getting through to any of them..
chocci15/04/2020 06:28

Did you pay the £2.50 extra for atol protection and receive atol …Did you pay the £2.50 extra for atol protection and receive atol certification? If not, then you can't claim via atol.

Yes I did and I do have the certificate.
MrSprkle15/04/2020 10:57

Try getting through to any of them..

But regardless what gets said here you are going to have to contact them all anyway, fact...
Bargainhead15/04/2020 12:09

But regardless what gets said here you are going to have to contact them …But regardless what gets said here you are going to have to contact them all anyway, fact...

I am aware of that in the meantime I am allowing the Booking Agent to get back to me, I was just looking for some advice on here before I proceed and waste some of my time.
MrSprkle15/04/2020 10:56

Why? Been loads this could of happened in Spain, France... Italy?

As you said
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions