Expired

Advice for killing weeds and grass behind back garden fence

Found 12th Jun 2013
I'm looking to stop the weeds and grass growing behind my back garden fence. Anyone had any success with this. However I do not want to cause harm to the grass in my back garden at the other side of the fence.

Not looking to spend much doing this. I read that vinegar would do the job and was thinking of pouring it into my sprayer and diluting it.

Behind the fence is an unused field.
Community Updates
8 Comments
why worry about grass you cant see behind a fence?

you wont be able to kill it using chemicals without affecting both sides of the fence.
csiman

why worry about grass you cant see behind a fence?you wont be able to … why worry about grass you cant see behind a fence?you wont be able to kill it using chemicals without affecting both sides of the fence.

It is visible as the fence boards have gaps between them and weeds and nettles grow through the gaps. It's a bit unsightly. I thought of laying a weeding sheet at the other side of the fence but I'm put off this idea as it's not my property.
If it's not your property, then they're not your weeds to kill.
You can cut/pull off any foliage back to the boundary. It's not your field and they're not your plants/weeds so they're not yours to kill. It's an offence to spray someone else's land. If they bother you, you could ask the landowner to strim them down more frequently, ask their permission for you to strim them down or put up a solid fence.
Could you put a new fence up?

Who owns the field? Can you ask for permission or ask them to do something?

For a cheap fix could you staple the weed barrier fabric to the back of the fence to stop them growing through?
nbuuifx

Could you put a new fence up?Who owns the field? Can you ask for … Could you put a new fence up?Who owns the field? Can you ask for permission or ask them to do something?For a cheap fix could you staple the weed barrier fabric to the back of the fence to stop them growing through?

Just looking to spray something to be honest but not sure whats available. Definitely not be putting up a new fence. Not sure who owns the field but doubt there would be an issue with me killing a small section of weeds/grass.
TonyAc

Just looking to spray something to be honest but not sure whats … Just looking to spray something to be honest but not sure whats available. Definitely not be putting up a new fence. Not sure who owns the field but doubt there would be an issue with me killing a small section of weeds/grass.

as mentioned, you will affect your own land as well as breaking the law
TonyAc

Just looking to spray something to be honest but not sure whats … Just looking to spray something to be honest but not sure whats available. Definitely not be putting up a new fence. Not sure who owns the field but doubt there would be an issue with me killing a small section of weeds/grass.

Is there some part of 'you will be committing a criminal offence' that you don't get? I've been on the receiving end of pesticide abuse and have zero tolerance for people who knowingly or negligently poison someone else's land
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants