Found 12th Jul 2008
I have a website with a catchy domain name. The only thing I have done to increase visits is add it to google and yahoo. I started it in January this year and so far I have had 430 unique visits. I thought this was ok seeing as though I haven't done any SEO or anything like that. What do you think I should do with it now. I want something to do with jewellry. I don't want to sell anything but use affiliate links to generate money. I have put some on the website but a website with just links and banners isn't too great. So what could I do?
Thanks

21 Comments

Impossible to know without knowing the domain name really

Original Poster Banned

I din't want to post incase it was in breach of any rules. Is it ok to let you all have a look at it.

ooh shouldnt i have added it?

tr2k8;2512970

I din't want to post incase it was in breach of any rules. Is it ok to … I din't want to post incase it was in breach of any rules. Is it ok to let you all have a look at it.

Good point - not sure!!

Admin

Self promotion is not allowed guys..

if anyone knows ill remove it?

Banned

I think the rule is no self-advertising, and I don't think this is advertising just wanting advice, so i would think you should be ok

oh they removed mine before i could! i didnt even think about it..sorry Juliet Bravo

Admin

UsernameStealer!;2512995

I think the rule is no self-advertising, and I don't think this is … I think the rule is no self-advertising, and I don't think this is advertising just wanting advice, so i would think you should be ok

The OP has stated they are going to use affiliate links on their site to make money.

Banned

juliet_bravo;2513013

The OP has stated they are going to use affiliate links on their site to … The OP has stated they are going to use affiliate links on their site to make money.

Ah right sorry, should have read the post more carefully :oops:

Original Poster Banned

I thought that I would be breaching the rules because it contains some affiliate links already. Does that mean no-one can help if I can't post the website?

juliet_bravo;2513013

The OP has stated they are going to use affiliate links on their site to … The OP has stated they are going to use affiliate links on their site to make money.

But that isnt self promoting in and of itself....? In fact, it is the opposite if anything, because now we know, no-one here is going to intentionally go to the site purely to click an affiliate link?

Bit heavy handed this IMO...

tr2k8;2513023

I thought that I would be breaching the rules because it contains some … I thought that I would be breaching the rules because it contains some affiliate links already. Does that mean no-one can help if I can't post the website?

Well, you need to offer something. No-one is just going to go to your site to click on some affiliate links, so you need to offer some kind of service to encourage this.

Are there any jewellry price comparison sites? If not, maybe worth looking into this avenue?

this is obviously fairly generic, as difficult to know without the domain name.

Stumble your site, submit to directories, start blogging etc

Abvance, all that is good advice, but seems pretty pointless until there is some meaningful content...

why dont ou use social network sites to adverise aswell
banner on myspace pages
and groups in facebook etc

add the key word: pearl necklace

Add information about jewellery, so people can use it as a resource, then they will be able to link through to different sites.

Original Poster Banned

Can anyone tell me if 430 unique views is good since the start of the year without doing any promotional work or seo.

Banned

tr2k8;2517939

Can anyone tell me if 430 unique views is good since the start of the … Can anyone tell me if 430 unique views is good since the start of the year without doing any promotional work or seo.

Not really, no. Just over 2 per day isnt very good. (But you did ask!)

Its a shame you cant post the URL. PM me if you like though and I'll see if I can assist. I would imagine there would be a few pointers I can come up with!

Banned

OK. Got your PM.

Firstly, it looks ok to me on the eye, which is a good thing. Sites that look naff will ensure your visitors will be there for a few seconds before leaving.

Its good that you have made use of metatags. However, you need to refine them. using words like "for" you" are pointless invidually. Dont over use key words. They accept a maximum figure and going over will be penalised. I wouldn't use more than 20 key words.

Page names are important too. Dont call them /1.htm, 2.htm etc That doesnt help. Instead try to use key names. eg types_of_rings.htm will help.

Make use of alt tags when naming images. (I didnt check to see if you have and the browser is now closed - but it is a common thing missed. Go sparingly though on the choice and dont keep repeating the same thing.

Obviously you will need to submit to search engines. Dont pay, just use the free methods with google, msn and yahoo. They are really the only ones that count.

Use RSS to show your ebay stuff live on the relevant page. (No point otherwise mentioning ebay!)

Having your site content changing also helps (ie dont let it be stagnent - search engine robots visit more often when they know the content needs to be refreshed in their databases.)

Lastly - your site needs more content! Its a bit bare ATM. Beg borrow or steal content from other sites (even if its just the ideas and not cut and paste copying!) It might be an idea to introduce sub menus rather than listing in one long menu.

As others have said, use some forums that allow signatures (and include the URL).... but dont spam them! I would imagine it would be fine to show the URL in your "home website" even here on UKHDs. (Mods please clarify.)

There's probably a few extra bits I can think up, but its enough to get you going!

Have fun!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition56529
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle56
    3. Free flights to Europe712
    4. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)44

See more discussions