Advice for negotiating a new broadband contract with Virgin

Posted 29th JanEdited by:"smush"
Hi I’m looking for some advice regarding negotiating my
broadband contract as it is up for renewal. I always try to get a deal where I’m
paying no more than £30 p/m and for the last few years I’ve been paying £29 for
150mb I called up recently to take out a new contract and was told they no
longer offer 150mb but they can offer me 100mb for £28 or 200mb for £33.

As it stands my contract has expired and yet I’m still on 150mb
and paying £30 due to go up to £34.50 in February as that’s when one of my loyalty
discounts expire so I don’t know why they cant keep me at 150mb?
Is it coincidence that the 200mb will be £1 cheaper than what
I am paying out of contract while the 100mb doesn’t seem as attractive because I was paying about that for 50 more mb? I know there are other providers but none in my area offer fibre above 60mb and even then its quite a drop in speed for not little in the way of price difference. I’m considering taking the 200mb for £33 because of the dreaded mid contract price increase Virgin uses I will at least have some negotiating power rather than being on their lowest package as they want their customers paying more not less so when the time comes I may be able to negate the price increase by saying I will move the slower 100mb package?
Alternatively BT may have rolled out their ultra fast 100mb fibre in my area by then and can negotiate even more. Just sucks that Virgin have what is effectively a monopoly on fast fibre.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
Make sure they can contact you for marketing purposes. Cancel. Let retentions ring you up.
Cancel ASAP or they will charge you the full price next month. They will then ring you with a better offer within a week or two
Lol, in this day and age....just try tinder? Or get a friend to set you up?
Krooner29/01/2020 21:07

Make sure they can contact you for marketing purposes. Cancel. Let …Make sure they can contact you for marketing purposes. Cancel. Let retentions ring you up.

This, paid between £17 and £26 for 15 months called to cancel as it was going up to £46. In a couple of minutes they offered it down to £38, told them that was nearly double the £20 I was paying in January last year she said she could knock another fiver off. Cancelled next day got a call from retentions asking why I was leaving told them last January price and she matched it there and then. Discounted for 14 months 12 month contract. That’s for 200mb BB only.

officially they only offer 100, 200 or 300 something and won’t quote you for 150
Edited by: "eslick" 29th Jan
I've just today renewed my contract with them as my previous offer expired (£50pm), was about to go up to £75.

I looked on uswitch and saw they offered the full house 200mb package for £49 + FREE wireless headphones.

I rang them up saying I'm not interested about the 200mb and free headphones just match the previous price, the woman I had on the phone said cheapest she can get is £56 for the same package as I have now, £61 if I want 200mb.

I said I'd think about it and rang back today, I asked the chap what the price would be if I removed the phone and I just said unfortunately I'm going to have to cancel as I really can't go over £50 budget.

He said he'd put me on silent for a couple minutes while he cancels my account, came back a couple minutes later and said he's spoken to his manager and can get me a £5 loyalty discount per month and also give me £12 credit ok my account, this basically brings it back down to £50pm again so accepted which I was happy with.

No need to wait for them to call back or wonder if they'll call back etc, done and dusted there and then, just stick to your story of £30 budget and see what they can do, they won't want to lose you for £4
Sc4mp029/01/2020 21:23

I've just today renewed my contract with them as my previous offer expired …I've just today renewed my contract with them as my previous offer expired (£50pm), was about to go up to £75.I looked on uswitch and saw they offered the full house 200mb package for £49 + FREE wireless headphones.I rang them up saying I'm not interested about the 200mb and free headphones just match the previous price, the woman I had on the phone said cheapest she can get is £56 for the same package as I have now, £61 if I want 200mb.I said I'd think about it and rang back today, I asked the chap what the price would be if I removed the phone and I just said unfortunately I'm going to have to cancel as I really can't go over £50 budget.He said he'd put me on silent for a couple minutes while he cancels my account, came back a couple minutes later and said he's spoken to his manager and can get me a £5 loyalty discount per month and also give me £12 credit ok my account, this basically brings it back down to £50pm again so accepted which I was happy with. No need to wait for them to call back or wonder if they'll call back etc, done and dusted there and then, just stick to your story of £30 budget and see what they can do, they won't want to lose you for £4

What do you get for the £50pm now? on Virgin's own website they are doing 200mb for £32 for new customers do you think I could get that for £30 if I persisted and told them I want to cancel or do they mostly just match what they offer new customers? I don't really want to drop my speed if I can help it and its a pity they have removed their 150mb offering

My contact settings were set to No but I've changed to Yes - says it can take up to 28 days to take effect. Slightly concerned if I cancel with them and they aren't able to call me back because of the 28 day change
Edited by: "smush" 29th Jan
smush29/01/2020 21:34

What do you get for the £50pm now? on Virgin's own website they are doing …What do you get for the £50pm now? on Virgin's own website they are doing 200mb for £32 for new customers do you think I could get that for £30 if I persisted and told them I want to cancel or do they mostly just match what they offer new customers? I don't really want to drop my speed if I can help it and its a pity they have removed their 150mb offeringMy contact settings were set to No but I've changed to Yes - says it can take up to 28 days to take effect. Slightly concerned if I cancel with them and they aren't able to call me back because of the 28 day change

I get 100mb broadband, full house TV which includes the BTspirt and free weekend and evening calls, which is the same offer I had last year as well.

So could provably have got the same but with 200mb for £55 but the 100mb broadband does us fine.
Arto29/01/2020 21:08

Cancel ASAP or they will charge you the full price next month. They will …Cancel ASAP or they will charge you the full price next month. They will then ring you with a better offer within a week or two

I'm out of contract, so if I cancel doesn't my internet get disconnected immediately?
If your contract has expired and it’s still running that means that the full price has now kicked in so you will be charged full price for the month but if you cancel now it’s will stop next month
smush29/01/2020 21:40

I'm out of contract, so if I cancel doesn't my internet get disconnected …I'm out of contract, so if I cancel doesn't my internet get disconnected immediately?

30 days notice required.

I'm paying £24.50 for 100mbs. I was on 200mbs previously and can honestly say I'be not noticed any reduction in performance.

Just cancel and wait for the call back. My deal is up in September and I'm prepared to move to 3 mobile for £17/month if Virgin will not maintain my current price.
I was on 200Mb BB, Mix TV, phone line and 2 x TV boxes (1 V6 and 1 TIVO) at £64 per month. This jumped to £74 this month and so I called asking for a deal. Was told the best they could do was £66 and so I cancelled. 2 days later, I got a call from retentions improving my TV to Max-It and replacing my TIVO with a 2nd V6 for £53.50 per month.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants