Advice getting toddler to sleep longer

Found 28th Jun 2008
My 18 month old has always slept from about 7:30pm till anywhere from 7:30 - 8:30 am but in the last 3 weeks has started waking up at 6am. Don't think she's teething, doesn't seem to be over hungry, nothing has changed really. Not the hot water or anything disturbing her. Anyone got any ideas how I can get her to sleep longer?

Thanks in advance

21 Comments

when she wakes up wht does she do....also is the sunlight gtn in kuz its brighter earlier...any ther changes to her daily routine

babycentre.co.uk/tod…ep/ try this link i find this site particularly good for my baby as they always give you 6 approaches so no hard and fast rule and let you decide whats best for your child.

My nearly 12 month old changed like that so i put her to bed a little later! She was 7.15 - 7.45 for ages then started waking bout 6! She normally went sleep at 8 so i started leaving her go till about 8.30 - usually makes the difference!!

12 - 13 hours down to 11!

You've been spoilt! Thats all!

:roll:

WantOne;2409070

12 - 13 hours down to 11!You've been spoilt! Thats all!:roll:

Ha Ha ... true!! Lucky another word!!:p
I HATE getting up early!!:w00t:

Sloth/Mod

6 is a good time of day to get up.........i get up with my 2 at that time. If i sleep any longer i feel i've missed half the day.

do you give her /him a nap in the afternoon? if so maybe try making it a shorter nap,
but yeah you have been spoilt my daughter has always done 7:00pm -to 5:30-6:00, but that was fine by me, i think as long as there going through the night theres nothing to worry about, :-D

All of mine have had different sleeping patterns over the years! My first was a nightmare, waking every few hours for the first 4 years, 2nd slept through for 10 hours from the age of 3 weeks and the 3rd hardly slept at all and now I have trouble getting him out of bed in a morning!
as said before either blackout blinds, or a little later to bed..........you have been blessed to have your daughter sleeping so well!

we had the same problem when the clocks changed recently - we got some blackout blinds from dunelm for £12.99 & everthing changed back to normal.

you can get black out blinds from ikea as well

bellabonkers;2409149

you can get black out blinds from ikea as well

they are quite reasonable there too:thumbsup:

Also don't panic it could just be a phaze. AM takes periods of waking up crazy early for no reason. Usually lasts about a month then he reverts back to normal. I don't mind getting up early (well not much) in the summer but in the winter its a killer

Original Poster

sorry everyone for not replying earlier, had to get my son ready and take him swimming plus breakfasts etc.! Thanks for all the great info so far, will have a good read through and try some things. Rep and replies coming!

Original Poster

lucie_lew;2409016

when she wakes up wht does she do....also is the sunlight gtn in kuz its … when she wakes up wht does she do....also is the sunlight gtn in kuz its brighter earlier...any ther changes to her daily routine

She cries initially, more of just an attention cry so I go in and she's wide awake with her arms open shouting "hewwo!" :-D

Original Poster

DIVA1977;2409041

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/toddler/sleep/ try this link i find this site … http://www.babycentre.co.uk/toddler/sleep/ try this link i find this site particularly good for my baby as they always give you 6 approaches so no hard and fast rule and let you decide whats best for your child.

fantastic, thanks :thumbsup:

Original Poster

wow. read through everything, thanks for so much good advice and I guess maybe I should still feel lucky, I've got used to going to bed about 11:30 at night though so guess I'll have to go a bit earlier to make up for the lost sleep! Definitely going to try some blackout blinds. No ikea near here, will check see if they deliver or get the dunelm ones.

fennel - always worked for mine

it will be the daylight, but don't worry, it'll be going soon as we are passed the longest day.

Original Poster

octobergirl;2409751

fennel - always worked for mine

really? How did you give it to them?

Original Poster

warmapplepie;2409757

it will be the daylight, but don't worry, it'll be going soon as we are … it will be the daylight, but don't worry, it'll be going soon as we are passed the longest day.

not too soon I hope, I hate the dark days :-(

god your lucky.my 3 sleep from 11pm-5am every day.(i put them to bed at 8)doctor says they don't seem to need much sleep,but i do !!!
consider yourself very lucky
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1951380
    2. Show us your Photos 2017. October's Theme - 'Anything'32486
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247615
    4. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604803

See more discussions