Groups

Advice - Hooking TV upto computer

I'm looking to hook my TV up to a computer and be able to have PC/internet from the comfort of my sofa.
    I don't want to have a PC base taking up valueable space and the noise is a No! No!
    A laptop would be ideal, but spending cash on a sreen I don't want sounds stupid!

In a perfet would I'd have a laptop without a screen. Nice and sleek and would hide nicely away. I have thought of getting a screen faulty laptop, but you never know what you're gonna get.

Any ideas?

10 Comments

I have just bought "PC to TV" from Maplin. It works pretty well.

maplin.co.uk/Mod…833

You wouldn't have to have your PC in the same room, Just a thought

what about this then? reviews.cnet.co.uk/des…htm

Looks perfect for you at around £200, stylish, and should be released any day now.

hmm you have two options here!!
    1. Get a small desktop box. Make one or guy one. They are called minipcs online, and you can buy a decent Pentium or c2d for around 400bucks!! Or buy a mac mini and hook that up!! So there is some sort of investment required if you want a completely silent PC experience on your TV.

2. Get your existing PC on ur tv by either buying a PC-TV converter or checking if ure TV has a VGA/DVI/HDMI input and ur PC has the same. If not you will need a rescaler of some sorts!! You can get them for about £20-£35 depending on resolution. Also you can keep ur PC in a different room, but you will have to run quite a long bit of cable!! Which is not a very good idea!! also you will have to go to the room where ur pc is kept to turn it ON and to change or insert DVDs/USB devices!!

Original Poster

My TV has got a VGA in port. Its a must for any new TV.
    I really don't want to go down the desktop route. A laptop (without screen) would be perfect.

Apple is not a consideration. Expensive and just to limiting.

what about my idea, it's basically a laptop without the screen...

the PC i built would be very quiet if I swapped out the graphics card and got a fanless one, WD 500GB is whisper quiet and akasa amber fans keep it cool without producing much noise, you could get a shuttle case and add something low power like a pentium dual core or 45/65W Athlon, just a thought, otherwise look out on ebay for cheap HTPC deals

build a htpc ...... find the bits on ebuyer & dabs etc...... you can buy parts which are "whisper" quiet...... HTPC is the way to go (i have my xbox hooked up as one )

If you're not going to be playing films what about an Ultra-low power PC like a fit-PC or cherrypal?

If your TV only has VGA and not HDMI then make sure it can accept full resolution through VGA as some are limited to 1024x768.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism1626
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …226675
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416614122
      4. Are these two things distinctly different to you?32162

See more discussions