Groups

Advice Needed????

Hopefully someone can help as I have no idea about these things...so here goes

I agreed to swap my car with another one in Ireland, he was willing to come over here for the swap (told me it costs £300 return trip for a ferry), then I did a HPI check and the car came back as recorded outside the EU?? but after that I've decided not to go ahead with the deal.

Problem now is that he's now threatening me with a solictor for his ferry crossing £300 and backing out of the deal. We only agreed via email, nothing verbal or signed, and the deal might not of gone ahead anyway once we checked each other cars.

Do I have anything to worry about??? and do I have to pay his ferry cost, He' already has £50 as a deposit for the orginally.

Thanks, will give people rep for any advice..

19 Comments

It sounds like he must really want your car if he is willing to pay £300 to come and get it. Makes me wonder why? All sounds a bit dodgy to me and I would stear clear. He doesn't have a let to stand on legally as far as I can see. You don't even know if he has really paid out that much for his ferry.

Yeh just reply saying 'do what you need to do' because i reckon he is only saying this to scare you into doing it. Just ignore him.

Did you specify that the vehicle had to be EU registered, or were you just looking for a cheap car.
    The email is proof of a contract, so depending on what you both agreed on in the first place you may or may not have a problem.

Original Poster

yeah I know, how many ferry's can you get from Ireland to Stranrear (that's where we were gonna meet) cheapest I found was Stenaline £109 return inc Car??

If you said you would only go ahead ahead with the deal after you had seen/checked the car then it's fine. You reserved the right not to buy if you weren'y happy with what he was selling.

KDH001;2397474

Did you specify that the vehicle had to be EU registered, or were you … Did you specify that the vehicle had to be EU registered, or were you just looking for a cheap car.The email is proof of a contract, so depending on what you both agreed on in the first place you may or may not have a problem.

Maybe there's a difference in Scottish law, but I would have said the same. Even verbal contracts are legal and binding in most cases.

Original Poster

Here's a copy of an email I sent him..
    If everything else is OK, Bodywork Etc and the car comes as per your description on ebay then I’d Agree with the Straight Swap (Just need to get my private plate removed). I do still have the orginal plates so you wouldn’t need any making.
    The HPI later says Not registered in the EU and he admitted in an email the car has a small dent...
    Anyway the main thing I need to know is about the Ferry Crossing as this is the email he sent.
    [COLOR=navy]"It’s a bit late to pull out now – I have booked a ferry and regardless of your situation I am sure you can appreciate I will needing the £300 for that. If you don’t think that’s fair you can speak with my solicitor. This is something I am not going to back down on. I do have your name and address.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=navy]I also backed out of a deal on ebay from someone else on this car because you agreed to this deal.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=navy]I am not impressed here[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=navy]You have my paypal details so lets see some money in there before the end of the week."[/COLOR]

Tell him to go and **** off!!!

If everything else about the car is ok, then I would say you have a problem. If the registration was not specified on the advert, and you did not ask, thats a mistake on your part, and you would appear to be the one in breach of contract if you refuse to complete the swap. Your email only seems to inquire about the condition of the vehicle, if it meets the description then you have no get out. There is nothing wrong with a registration from outside the EU, it's just not desirable.

MANJ_007;2397612

Tell him to go and **** off!!!

Yep exactly. Do you realise how much solicitor fees cost. It will cost him more to see a solicitor for 2 hours then the feery. most charge over £200 ph so he will not do anything. Tell him to try and pull this fast one on someone else. Just say ok i will wait to hear from your solicitor. You never will hear from them i bet!!

hollypinder;2397709

You never will hear from them i bet!!

You're probably right. As he has to use the ferry tickets or lose out he'll probably just load up a few mates with ally bats....... Or is that just my way of thinking, cos that's what i'd do if i'd just been stiffed for £300:thinking:

£300 quid for a crossing from Ireland the the UK?

Bit expensive isnt it?!!! He's having a laugh surely?

Original Poster

Just noticed he's put his car back on ebay.

Warrenmole2004;2397841

Item number? What is it?

exactly so dont worry. Just ignore all further contact. and if he does keep emailing ask for the ferry receipt as i bet he didnt pay that much. Thanks.

hollypinder;2397894

exactly so dont worry. Just ignore all further contact. and if he does … exactly so dont worry. Just ignore all further contact. and if he does keep emailing ask for the ferry receipt as i bet he didnt pay that much. Thanks.

I agree. Ask for a photocopy of the receipt. This should prove if he has paid this price. Also This sounds like a full price ticket so if he has paid he should be able to get a refund. Worst case some cancellation fee to be paid. Better than £300.

Original Poster

yeah, already has £50 that I said he could keep...

Warrenmole2004;2397841

ebay is different. That is an agreed purchase if you are the winning bid or use buy-it-now, but that's under the condition of it being exactly as it's described. If it is as he's described then you should really complete the deal.

Otherwise he's 'earned' £50 for nothing! That sounds like a good deal for him, by my reckoning.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …147347
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764524
      3. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1742
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523414

See more discussions