Advice needed about installing Win10 on older laptop.

Posted 8th Dec 2019
Ages since I've done anything like this so very confused. I've got an old laptop that exceeds the minimum requirements for windows 10, it's running (OK staggering along on one leg - definitely not running - maybe limping) on vista home, 32 bit.
If i buy a key, do I then download Windows from the MS site direct to the laptop, or do I burn it to dvd then format the laptop and change bios to boot from dvd?
At the moment it's almost a brick, but I don't want to actually brick it.
It's only wanted for Netflix and YouTube, and I don't want to switch to Ubuntu or the like as it will be used by my special needs granddaughter, and she is conversant with Win10.
Any advice, or directions to a walk through would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for reading my epistle.
Community Updates
Ask
30 Comments
If you have a laptop from the Vista days, I wouldn't imagine it'll cope very well with Windows 10 regardless of it meeting minimum specifications. Those specs basically just ensure it will boot, not that it will boot quickly or run anything in a reasonable amount of time.

I don't want to disregard your question though. From my knowledge, you generally have to burn a DVD and boot from that. I imagine the website would have detailed instructions to help.
Download Windows media creation tool and get a spare USB drive. It will create bootable device that you can run the install from.

Plenty of videos on YouTube
Not done a laptop in ages.
But I did an old dell laptop a few years back, I put an sdd in and used a usb flash that I downloaded from MS main site using its tool. I think it’s called media creation tool.

When booting up its was F2 F8 or F12 from memory.
then load from usb.

Ive never changed the bios.
The issue is not necessarily the spec. It's the drivers for everything that lists under Device Manager. You may find you can run W8.x than W10.

Since your grand daughter has needs, you may want to consider the assistive technology (free I think still) upgrade path. W 10 will tell you if it will let you upgrade
Thanks guys. Plenty to think about and read about. As I said it will only be for Netflix and YouTube when she stays at Christmas and other occasions. The other option is to simply get a second hand one for little money - I just hate throwing tech away. Makes my blood boil really.
Ringfinger08/12/2019 21:25

Thanks guys. Plenty to think about and read about. As I said it will only …Thanks guys. Plenty to think about and read about. As I said it will only be for Netflix and YouTube when she stays at Christmas and other occasions. The other option is to simply get a second hand one for little money - I just hate throwing tech away. Makes my blood boil really.

if it is only netflix and youtube, you could just buy a cheap tablet and it will be easier for her to use. the screen resolution on a tablet will also be better than a laptop as well as the battery life.
mutley108/12/2019 23:50

if it is only netflix and youtube, you could just buy a cheap tablet and …if it is only netflix and youtube, you could just buy a cheap tablet and it will be easier for her to use. the screen resolution on a tablet will also be better than a laptop as well as the battery life.

She's had tablets (plural) but the screen size means she carries it about and takes it to bed to watch. She consequently falls asleep and drops it or rolls on it and it breaks. The laptop is 15.6" so at night it can be put on a chest of drawers of of the way. Laptop is old, so like to get some use out of it. I appreciate your help though, thanks.
Ringfinger08/12/2019 23:57

She's had tablets (plural) but the screen size means she carries it about …She's had tablets (plural) but the screen size means she carries it about and takes it to bed to watch. She consequently falls asleep and drops it or rolls on it and it breaks. The laptop is 15.6" so at night it can be put on a chest of drawers of of the way. Laptop is old, so like to get some use out of it. I appreciate your help though, thanks.

there are a lot of articles that advises problems with windows 10 install on to older pc, so if it was me, i wouldn't bother.

cio.com/art…tml

would netflix and youtube not work on the existing operating system?

you could buy a rugged tablet protector that are designed for children, like this one for a samsung tablet for example

amazon.co.uk/TEC…h=1
1. Your laptop should be fine for win10; I suggest changing the normal hdd to a ssd.
2. No need for buying a win key; eventually get one from eBay for cheap.
Agree with above, with slight mods:
1. Your laptop will probably be fine for win10; would be ridiculously beneficial to change the normal hdd to a ssd, maybe after transition has been proven successful.
2. No need for buying a win10 key, ever, as the OS will still function, perform and auto-update same as a fully activated installation whether you like it or not. Only need to obtain a key if you wish to change desktop image to that of your fave cute cat.
If its only for Netflix and Youtube cant see any reason why a Linux Distribution should not be used. It saves a bit of money and should make it far better to use than Windoze 10.

Just give Zorin Lite a try zorinos.com/dow…te/
Before mentioning upgrading to ssd are we sure this laptop has sata connectors?

I definately wouldn't throw money at this old laptop as you can pick up a new one for £100

It's worth trying to go the free w10 route just to see if it works. You'll need a usb stick and then download windows media creation tool. It's all easy enough to do.

Also one thing to check when a laptop slows down is the amount of hard drive space left. It's probably down to the age and spec of the laptop but if you've very little hard drive space left that will slow it down even more.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 9th Dec 2019
m1keyp1key09/12/2019 09:22

Before mentioning upgrading to ssd are we sure this laptop has sata …Before mentioning upgrading to ssd are we sure this laptop has sata connectors? I definately wouldn't throw money at this old laptop as you can pick up a new one for £100 It's worth trying to go the free w10 route just to see if it works. You'll need a usb stick and then download windows media creation tool. It's all easy enough to do.Also one thing to check when a laptop slows down is the amount of hard drive space left. It's probably down to the age and spec of the laptop but if you've very little hard drive space left that will slow it down even more.

Thanks, that's the route I am going. Though I will burn to dvd as I don't have a large USB available.
What is your existing OS?

If you got Windows 7, 8, 8.1, you don't need to buy key from MS
Cisco06060609/12/2019 10:32

What is your existing OS?If you got Windows 7, 8, 8.1, you don't need to …What is your existing OS?If you got Windows 7, 8, 8.1, you don't need to buy key from MS

Unless upgraded since posting the first line of opening paragraph, it's still: running (OK staggering along on one leg - definitely not running - maybe limping) on vista home, 32 bit.
AndyRoyd09/12/2019 10:53

Unless upgraded since posting the first line of opening paragraph, it's …Unless upgraded since posting the first line of opening paragraph, it's still: running (OK staggering along on one leg - definitely not running - maybe limping) on vista home, 32 bit.

Given it's age - I'd go with the earlier response of try a Linux on it.
alg09/12/2019 11:07

Given it's age - I'd go with the earlier response of try a Linux on it.

"...and I don't want to switch to Ubuntu or the like as it will be used by my special needs granddaughter,"
AndyRoyd09/12/2019 11:13

"...and I don't want to switch to Ubuntu or the like as it will be used by …"...and I don't want to switch to Ubuntu or the like as it will be used by my special needs granddaughter,"

Without knowing what additional needs your granddaughter has, I'm not sure how relevant a comment that is. There are linux distros out there specifically designed to look like Windoze, Mac, etc., essentially masking the changes.

Many kids with additional needs are more flexible in dealing with change than a lot of people realise. And I say that as a parent of a child with additional needs, who has major literacy and numeracy issues, but adapts to technology changes better than some other members of my household.
Edited by: "alg" 9th Dec 2019
alg09/12/2019 11:22

Without knowing what additional needs your granddaughter has, I'm not sure …Without knowing what additional needs your granddaughter has, I'm not sure how relevant a comment that is. There are linux distros out there specifically designed to look like Windoze, Mac, etc., essentially masking the changes.Many kids with additional needs are more flexible in dealing with change than a lot of people realise.

The reply is appreciated but I am not OP; the prev response simply quoted OP text.
AndyRoyd09/12/2019 11:24

The reply is appreciated but I am not OP; the prev response simply quoted …The reply is appreciated but I am not OP; the prev response simply quoted OP text.

Apologies - I was responding more to the quote than the poster in this case.
alg09/12/2019 11:25

Apologies - I was responding more to the quote than the poster in this …Apologies - I was responding more to the quote than the poster in this case.

Not a problem; I'm sure OP appreciates all contributions.
I certainly do thanks. I've actually just dug out an old lenovo Ideapad, screen is a bit smaller, but it works OK. Just doing a refresh on it then I can take my time on the Emachine. So problem sorted, thanks all. I'm definitely going to look at Ubuntu now, if I can find one that replicates Windows enough (she really only needs to turn it on and click a shortcut to Netflix or YouTube).
She's not a silly kid but doesn't cope well with change (13 with the age of around a 6 year old, though mathmatically she is far advanced for her age - I don't understand half what she does, but she's correct apparently). So we try to keep change to a minimum.

Thanks again all, time for more reading and decision later.
Where are you buying windows 10 from, if its cheap there is a risk its a copy, normally its around 100 quid?
Ringfinger09/12/2019 12:08

I certainly do thanks. I've actually just dug out an old lenovo Ideapad, …I certainly do thanks. I've actually just dug out an old lenovo Ideapad, screen is a bit smaller, but it works OK. Just doing a refresh on it then I can take my time on the Emachine. So problem sorted, thanks all. I'm definitely going to look at Ubuntu now, if I can find one that replicates Windows enough (she really only needs to turn it on and click a shortcut to Netflix or YouTube).She's not a silly kid but doesn't cope well with change (13 with the age of around a 6 year old, though mathmatically she is far advanced for her age - I don't understand half what she does, but she's correct apparently). So we try to keep change to a minimum.Thanks again all, time for more reading and decision later.

As an earlier poster said, Zorin advertises itself as looking similar to Windows. If you are looking at Ubuntu, make sure you pick an LTS install - these have several years support, the non-LTS versions are 9 months iirc.

You can of course google for "linux looking like windows" for suggestions.
This international seller, been on TV for many years. Got to be good, eh?
39302331.jpg

Seriously though, I was going to buy a cheap licence, but as others have pointed out it's not necessary.
There has been a change of plan, probably going the Ubuntu route. Thanks for the advice though.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 9th Dec 2019
Vista is too old...
If you decide to go for linux, have a look at linux mint. It require lower spec PC, and I personally prefer that layout

I do not recommend buying windows key from MS. It is something like £100.
You can get a used PC with windows 10 installed for that price tag.
On, spent all afternoon trying to install Zorin, but it finally (after I've tried downloading to dvd, and it didn't run or read - then run up the road and bought a usb stick) wouldn't load that either as the download requires Win 7 or higher. Frustrated now. Walking away.

Gonna have a beer

Or three
Ringfinger09/12/2019 19:17

On, spent all afternoon trying to install Zorin, but it finally (after …On, spent all afternoon trying to install Zorin, but it finally (after I've tried downloading to dvd, and it didn't run or read - then run up the road and bought a usb stick) wouldn't load that either as the download requires Win 7 or higher. Frustrated now. Walking away.Gonna have a beerOr three

Not quite sure how you're trying to put the file on the media? Or what OS you're using. You're needing to burn the iso file on to the media - no idea if this will help, but there is an example of what to do at lifewire.com/how…270
Ringfinger09/12/2019 19:17

On, spent all afternoon trying to install Zorin, but it finally (after …On, spent all afternoon trying to install Zorin, but it finally (after I've tried downloading to dvd, and it didn't run or read - then run up the road and bought a usb stick) wouldn't load that either as the download requires Win 7 or higher. Frustrated now. Walking away.Gonna have a beerOr three

zorin or any other linux distro for that matter does not need any operating system like windoze pre-loaded. However, you do need an OS that can burn the ISO image you download to a USB memory stick or DVD. (Rufus software is the most popular burning tool in Windoze) And you need to ensure you download the right version for the laptop you intend installing on - for example 32bit on a 32bit machine.
Also you do not need to install as such, to begin with. Just boot from the USB/DVD and try it out.
Some BIOS on some machines can prove challenging Changing the settings to disable UEFI/Secure boot can often help.
I have used Windoze and UNIX + other OS since 1981. IMHO Linux is best but my voluntary work with AbilityNet brings me into contact with users who prefer Windoze. Although it grieves me to say, Windoze is far better for those with most accessibility needs BUT depending on the individuals needs there are solutions in Linux. Just not that mainstream.
Good luck - there are great Ubuntu, Linux Mint (try that next if Zorin proves to be a pig), etc community forums out there who can help
I've run Windows 10 on something as old as a LGA775 Pentium 4 (I think that may be limited to 32 bit) and a LGA775 Core 2 Duo.
And it runs acceptably snappily on the P4 (though a SSD certainly helps to get it booted up faster).

How much RAM does it have, it's generally feasible to bring one using DDR2 RAM (2 slot) up to 4GB with a pair of 2's, and one using DDR3 RAM (2 slot) up to 8GB with a pair of 4's (CEX) - DDR2 gets significantly more expensive for 4GB sticks, while DDR3 gets more expensive in 8GB sticks - I bough a DDR2 laptop which had only 1GB, so bumped up to 4GB for £4 - going to 8GB would cost £30-36.
In DDR3, 8GB (2x4) is £12, while 4GB (2x2) is just £2
Slam in that RAM!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants