Groups

Advice needed asap, Private tenant need emergency repair but cant get hold of landlord,

As title says,

This morning we noticed the toilet was leaking from the bottom of it, water was coming from the handle & water is pouring out of the overflow at the side of the house. The floor board by the toilet are soaked & feel softer than else where in the bathroom.

I called the landlord early this morning told him & he had a go at me because ever since i moved in here a year a go i have told him there have been a number of repair's needed doing. He said he would get someone out but never said when.

Half a hour ago the water started leaking in to the kitchen via the light fitting, I called the shop where the landlord is the owner he was not there i speak to his wife who said she " that he has gone out & that she cant contact him but will tell him when he get back in"

Then we started hearing the light making a some crackling sounds, so iv had to switch the down stair's light s off at the fuse box.

So dose any one know if i can call someone to get it fixed as a emergency maybe on health & safety or fire risk grounds. Without billing me as i dont have the money to get it fixed myself.

my partner is worried about cooking any dinner 2night as we have a electric cooker, & with 5 kids to feed tonight need this sorting out asap

49 Comments

just close valve on water suply to the toilet :thumbsup::thumbsup:

turn the water off at the stop cock asap

Original Poster

Its a very old toilet system, i cant really get to the pipe work because the toilet system has a box around it going all the way to the floor,

I really dont have the money to get it fixed as we are on benefits & dont have a lot of money spare at the mo.

there should be a little screw under your cistern on a pipe, get a flat head scewdriver or butter knife and turn it left till the water stops, this happened to me yesterday, my toilet didn't stop filling up and water leaked into my kitchen. as soon as i turned the screw it stopped

Turn the watter off. Not at the toilet.. to the whole house.

Original Poster

Titchimp;3091265

Turn the watter off. Not at the toilet.. to the whole house.

Not 100% where that would be, I know it may be the only option but i have 2 things that would stop me considering.

1, I have 10 month twins, & need water to make there bottles
    2., my partner is a recovering alcoholic, & the only thing that keeps her off the drink is endless supply of cups of tea

Long shot but take the lid off of your toilet and make sure that your float arm / float isn't getting stuck (so reach into the water and pull it up towards you as far as it will come)

canpages.ca/blo…jpg

mrfun1981;3091309

Not 100% where that would be, I know it may be the only option but i have … Not 100% where that would be, I know it may be the only option but i have 2 things that would stop me considering.1, I have 10 month twins, & need water to make there bottles 2., my partner is a recovering alcoholic, & the only thing that keeps her off the drink is endless supply of cups of tea

I know what your saying but if you bottle up a few litres of it and then turn it off you can still boil it etc. You landlord might not pay out for things ruined because you didnt turn the water off after noticing.

mrfun1981;3091309

Not 100% where that would be, I know it may be the only option but i … Not 100% where that would be, I know it may be the only option but i have 2 things that would stop me considering.1, I have 10 month twins, & need water to make there bottles 2., my partner is a recovering alcoholic, & the only thing that keeps her off the drink is endless supply of cups of tea

the chances are it is the ballcock in the cistern. You need to remove the cistern lid and look where the ballcock is? the ballcock needs lifting to stop water flow.

i would call landlord/wife and tell her again its flooding and the electrics are off. Tell then you WILL SUE if they dont sort it right away.

louloo;3091431

i would call landlord/wife and tell her again its flooding and the … i would call landlord/wife and tell her again its flooding and the electrics are off. Tell then you WILL SUE if they dont sort it right away.

There are no grounds to sue, threatening legal action isn't the best thing to do either especially considering that you do not know who is liable for the damage

As for the landlord hang to pay as someone said above yes he does as he is required by law to ensue the property is suitable to live in. If the problem was caused by the tenant though he is full within his rights to bill the tenant or take the costs from the deposit at the end of the tenancy

keep flushing the toilet and check the ballcock stops the cistern from filling up when you lift it ,if it does tie it up with a bit of string until you can contact the landlord

Original Poster

Titchimp;3091389

I know what your saying but if you bottle up a few litres of it and then … I know what your saying but if you bottle up a few litres of it and then turn it off you can still boil it etc. You landlord might not pay out for things ruined because you didnt turn the water off after noticing.

I could do that
    starsparkle2311;3091390

Usually underneath the sink, there should be a handle on the pipe, turn … Usually underneath the sink, there should be a handle on the pipe, turn it off. Turn it back on when you need to use the water just switch it back off agian. Most plumbers/electricians etc. will give you a bill, you won't have to pay straight up, don't worry about that, it's your landlord's responsibility. Remember, benefits or not, he(landlord) is still being paid rent for the house you live in and it should be in a fit/safe state for you to live in!

are you talking about the sink in the kitchen?

louloo;3091410

the chances are it is the ballcock in the cistern. You need to remove the … the chances are it is the ballcock in the cistern. You need to remove the cistern lid and look where the ballcock is? the ballcock needs lifting to stop water flow.

If i did that, & it sort of fixed the problem, my landlord would say ( well when he decides to get here) that he cant see a problem now as the water is not leaking & tell me to stop moaning he said that before when i needed a diff repair doing.

louloo;3091431

i would call landlord/wife and tell her again its flooding and the … i would call landlord/wife and tell her again its flooding and the electrics are off. Tell then you WILL SUE if they dont sort it right away.

All hell would brake loose if i said that, my dad has worked for my landlord for the last 20 years & iv none the landlord for about 17years or so. I was hoping when i moved in to his house that if i needed anything he would sorted it, but how wronge i was. its seams that as my dad works for him he thinks he can take the **** with me

Original Poster

Dose any one know if i called the council when they be able to send anyone to fix the problem on health & safety reasons etc

Banned

mrfun1981;3091545

Dose any one know if i called the council when they be able to send … Dose any one know if i called the council when they be able to send anyone to fix the problem on health & safety reasons etc

Go on to the website of your local council and also ask them to put you on the emergency housing list!

Banned

mrfun1981;3091545

Dose any one know if i called the council when they be able to send … Dose any one know if i called the council when they be able to send anyone to fix the problem on health & safety reasons etc

the coucil will tell you to turn the mains off, have you done this yet?

DLM;3091553

Go on to the website of your local council and also ask them to put you … Go on to the website of your local council and also ask them to put you on the emergency housing list!

i would sure get out if you can? sounds like a death trap:w00t:

mrfun1981;3091545

why would the council do anything? its your landlord's problem. Have you got house insurance as they will have a helpline?

Banned

louloo;3091602

why would the council do anything? its your landlord's problem. Have you … why would the council do anything? its your landlord's problem. Have you got house insurance as they will have a helpline?

house insurance could be your best bet, land lord does'nt seem very helpfull, have you got any handy friends that could pop round ??

hope you get it sorted out soon xx

IMO the biggest risk is the mix of water and electric's ....this site's got some DIY type advice if that's any good?
    ultimatehandyman.co.uk/plu…htm

Roughly what area are you in?

Banned

third time lucky..............

TURN THE STOP COCK OFF!

tenants have a duty of care to the property too. Any excess damage caused by you leaving the leak running would be liable to you I would have thought. But sounds like the maximum damage has happened already with the mains lights shorting out.

Turn the stopcock off and then open the toilet cistern lid and wedge the ball cock up to the horizontal

csiman;3091645

third time lucky..............TURN THE STOP COCK OFF!tenants have a duty … third time lucky..............TURN THE STOP COCK OFF!tenants have a duty of care to the property too. Any excess damage caused by you leaving the leak running would be liable to you I would have thought. But sounds like the maximum damage has happened already with the mains lights shorting out.Turn the stopcock off and then open the toilet cistern lid and wedge the ball cock up to the horizontal

I don't think the OP wants to solve the problem as that would mean the landlord wont pay anything

If i did that, & it sort of fixed the problem, my landlord would say ( … If i did that, & it sort of fixed the problem, my landlord would say ( well when he decides to get here) that he cant see a problem now as the water is not leaking & tell me to stop moaning he said that before when i needed a diff repair doing.

To the OP YOU ARE liable for any damage caused by you not turning your water off

If the problem is just the float you will be liable for the full cost of all repairs

Original Poster

HI guys

Sorry for not getting back sooner, had to carm my OH down as this is stressing her out, plus had to go & get my 5 year old from school.

IV looked at the under the sink & i CANT find the handle that people have spoke about il post pictures of what i can see in a couple of mins

I found the phone number of the plumer that i no the landlord use's and ask him if she still works for my landlord & if he has called him, he said he still works for him BUT my landlord has not called him yet!!!! But he said he would try & call my landlord for me & see what he say's

Can you ask a neighbour where their Stopcock is? This is more important than anything else you are doing in the meantime.

Original Poster

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/63/dscf0893dt9.th.jpghttp://img58.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/861/dscf0894rj1.th.jpghttp://img68.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

That is all iv got, a waste pipe for water & 2 other pipes that go out of the back of the cupboard, I know that the cupboard has a false back on it do you think the handle is behide that

Banned

follow where those thin white pipes go as they will lead to a stop cock somewhere in your flat. by law you have to have one somewhere. May be in an airing cupboard.

This is what a Stop Cock looks like.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh89/thesaint01/DSC00041.jpg

Mine is in my meter cupboard.

Anyone else reading this thread that doesn't know where theres is, find out now.
    Turn it off and on again, they can get stuck, and when you need to turn it off and can't in an emergency, your jiggered.

Turn it off and on again once a year.

Original Poster

csiman;3092231

follow where those thin white pipes go as they will lead to a stop cock … follow where those thin white pipes go as they will lead to a stop cock somewhere in your flat. by law you have to have one somewhere. May be in an airing cupboard.

Ok will do im guessing that it must be behide the false back on the cupboard, so time to pull the cooker out, as thats the only way to get to the space behide the cupbaord.

thesaint;3092268

This is what a Stop Cock looks like.Mine is in my meter cupboard.Anyone … This is what a Stop Cock looks like.Mine is in my meter cupboard.Anyone else reading this thread that doesn't know where theres is, find out now.Turn it off and on again, they can get stuck, and when you need to turn it off and can't in an emergency, your jiggered.Turn it off and on again once a year.

Thanks for the picture, iv looked all over the house & i cant see one so it must be behide the cupbaords.

Iv managed to get a hold of my landlord again, at 1st he said someone will be out tomorrow, but then i told him about the water coming in the kitchen via the light & that iv had to turn it off via the fuse box cos of the sounds we heard ( dont think his wife told him). So he said he call me back in 5mins. He called back & someone will be out in a hour & half. Im just hoping its not one of his cowboys he likes to use to save a couple of £'s

Banned

Good Luck and i hope you have a better evening :thumbsup:

Original Poster

DLM;3092608

Good Luck and i hope you have a better evening :thumbsup:

Thanks, but things are not going that good at the mo,

Just been in to my daughters room, & the water has socked though the floors in to her room abit. So iv had no choice but to find the stop cock, managed to find it right at the back under the kitchen cupboard, it was very hard to turn.

Been running the tap for the last 20mins & its still trickling out, so im not sure if its completely closed, but the water has stopped coming out of the overflow & handle of the toilet.

Just hope some one comes soon i dont think they will fix the problem, but hope fully they will just make sure everything is safe until morning & come back & fix it all then

Banned

mrfun1981;3093006

Thanks, but things are not going that good at the mo, Just been in to my … Thanks, but things are not going that good at the mo, Just been in to my daughters room, & the water has socked though the floors in to her room abit. So iv had no choice but to find the stop cock, managed to find it right at the back under the kitchen cupboard, it was very hard to turn. Been running the tap for the last 20mins & its still trickling out, so im not sure if its completely closed, but the water has stopped coming out of the overflow & handle of the toilet. Just hope some one comes soon i dont think they will fix the problem, but hope fully they will just make sure everything is safe until morning & come back & fix it all then

Try to stay positive.

ring the landlord in the morning and if necessary leave a message to explain that you need him to contact you within 24 hours as to when he can get it repaired he should then ring you with a time for the repair within the following 24 hours (total 48 hours max passed) if the repairs not done within 24 hours you will have to arrange to get someone in and the bill passed to him for payment - you are legally in your rights to do this

sn0ttyang3l;3095599

ring the landlord in the morning and if necessary leave a message to … ring the landlord in the morning and if necessary leave a message to explain that you need him to contact you within 24 hours as to when he can get it repaired he should then ring you with a time for the repair within the following 24 hours (total 48 hours max passed) if the repairs not done within 24 hours you will have to arrange to get someone in and the bill passed to him for payment - [COLOR="Red"]you are legally in your rights to do this[/COLOR]

It's best to be sure about statements like this. Landlords can usually sniff out tenants who state the law with no proof. I think you are wrong (I'm a landlord) but will be happy to be proven wrong.

I had this sort of problem where the water supply needed to be fixed. went to the council for advice and I was told because of the nature of the repair I had to contact the landlord first and ensure he dealt with it straight away - i was told if he didn't then i was to contact him again either by a note through his letter box or a message on his answerphone to say that I would be getting it repaired on health and safety grounds and that he would have to pay the bill - he got it repaired within 2 days of it - ive attached something i found on line which should also help
    thesite.org/hom…nce

You many have a case for damages, but: "The aim of damages is to restore the tenant to the position he or she would have been in had there been no breach of repairing covenant". So don't expect courts to look kindly upon money grabbing type lawsuits.
    The law you need to look at before making threats to sue, etc is the following:
    Pre-action Protocol for Housing Disrepair justice.gov.uk/civ…htm
    Section 17 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985
    Section 4 of the Defective Premises Act 1972
    Section 2 of the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957
    Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985

Reasonable timeOnce the landlord has received notice of the disrepair, … Reasonable timeOnce the landlord has received notice of the disrepair, the repairs must then be donewithin a reasonable time.“Reasonable time” will be judged by the type and extent of the disrepair. The biggerand more expensive the repair necessary the longer the time period would probablybe. Note, however, that where the repair necessarily is in the nature of an emergency(e.g. where the fault is a burst or broken water pipe or a total electrical failure) then“reasonable time” may be very short indeed regardless of any other considerations.Even where it is something less urgent, such as missing roof tiles, the landlord shoulduse reasonable expedience and a delay of a week or two should normally beacceptable. Where the disrepair involves major structural works, these take time toarrange and co-ordinate and the landlord would be justified in taking longer.Set-off / self-helpTenants sometimes withhold rent on the basis of using the rent to pay for repairs thatthe tenant claims the landlord should have carried out, but generally the tenant has nolegal right to set-off in this way.However in certain circumstances, a tenant may use the rent to pay for repairs oroffset rent arrears where the landlord has clearly breached a repairing obligation andhas failed or refused to carry out the repairs.This right is provided only in thecircumstances outlined above and when exercised according to a clearly definedprocedure; the tenant must inform his landlord that he intends to carry out the repairshimself and submit any estimates, in order to allow the landlord a chance to carry outthe works himself.

Banned

I doubt very much there is any case for damages. After all, it wasn't an emergency job until the op decided to leave the water supply on. If anything, i would say the landlord has a case for damages against the tenant.

Original Poster

UPDATE:

Someone come out last night, he fixed the problem said something about lime scale in the ballcock & was making the toilet overflow. He said he could clean the ballcock with out replacing it & it should fix the problem but if it starts to leak again he will need to replace the ballcock. He flushed the toilet a couple of times & it seams to work ok,

So put on the lights downstairs & he went without checking the light fitting & said if there is a problem with the wiring it will trap at the fusebox. After a couple of mins with the lights being on, the one where the water come out started making crackling sounds me & the OH didnt like it so i called the guy again that had been out told him so he agreed to come back & check it, he listen & said that's just water that is above the fitting. He agreed prob best to drain the water.so he undone the fitting & drained the water, there was a fair bit there. He said leave the light fitting hanging down for the night to let it all dry out. & screw it back in, in the morning & it will be ok to use.

Now im no electrician, nor was the man who did come out he is builder/plumer by trade, so im not totally sure how safe the light fitting & the wires connected to it are safe to use, surely being in water for a while will not make them safe to use???

csiman;3096903

I doubt very much there is any case for damages. After all, it wasn't an … I doubt very much there is any case for damages. After all, it wasn't an emergency job until the op decided to leave the water supply on. If anything, i would say the landlord has a case for damages against the tenant.

not a emergancy job? with having a load of water around your toilet. that had already ruined some of the tiles on the bath room floor that will need replacing. That's why i called the landlord to tell him, who was more interested in moaning at me cos i had a repair that needed doing asap!!

He didnt tell me to try & find the cock stop & turn the water off!!! He wasn't bothered to come around to check the leak himself. AN when i did final get a hold of him late afternoon he did tell me that he had been out & not got around to calling someone & that's why someone will be out in the morning. but when i told him the lighting had gone he agreed to send someone out last night.

Il hold my hands up & say yeah maybe i could of turned the water sooner but at 1st i didnt no where the cock stop was. But the landlord could of taken the issue a bit more serious when i 1st called him.

An even if some of the wiring is f*cked up the landlord can :whistling: for any money from me because when his electric cooker keep tripping the fuse box the electrician he sent out told me that he told the landlord that the whole house needed re-wiring about 3 years ago but my landlord wont pay the ££'s to do it.

even tho i know the landlord really well i regret moving in here. as he keeps being ass with me but the council wont help offer me a place as im adequately (sp) housed

mrfun1981;3097770

UPDATE:Someone come out last night, he fixed the problem said something … UPDATE:Someone come out last night, he fixed the problem said something about lime scale in the ballcock & was making the toilet overflow. He said he could clean the ballcock with out replacing it & it should fix the problem but if it starts to leak again he will need to replace the ballcock. He flushed the toilet a couple of times & it seams to work ok, So put on the lights downstairs & he went without checking the light fitting & said if there is a problem with the wiring it will trap at the fusebox. After a couple of mins with the lights being on, the one where the water come out started making crackling sounds me & the OH didnt like it so i called the guy again that had been out told him so he agreed to come back & check it, he listen & said that's just water that is above the fitting. He agreed prob best to drain the water.so he undone the fitting & drained the water, there was a fair bit there. He said leave the light fitting hanging down for the night to let it all dry out. & screw it back in, in the morning & it will be ok to use.Now im no electrician, nor was the man who did come out he is builder/plumer by trade, so im not totally sure how safe the light fitting & the wires connected to it are safe to use, surely being in water for a while will not make them safe to use???not a emergancy job? with having a load of water around your toilet. that had already ruined some of the tiles on the bath room floor that will need replacing. That's why i called the landlord to tell him, who was more interested in moaning at me cos i had a repair that needed doing asap!!He didnt tell me to try & find the cock stop & turn the water off!!! He wasn't bothered to come around to check the leak himself. AN when i did final get a hold of him late afternoon he did tell me that he had been out & not got around to calling someone & that's why someone will be out in the morning. but when i told him the lighting had gone he agreed to send someone out last night.Il hold my hands up & say yeah maybe i could of turned the water sooner but at 1st i didnt no where the cock stop was. But the landlord could of taken the issue a bit more serious when i 1st called him. An even if some of the wiring is f*cked up the landlord can :whistling: for any money from me because when his electric cooker keep tripping the fuse box the electrician he sent out told me that he told the landlord that the whole house needed re-wiring about 3 years ago but my landlord wont pay the ££'s to do it.even tho i know the landlord really well i regret moving in here. as he keeps being ass with me but the council wont help offer me a place as im adequately (sp) housed

Has the house got a valid electrical and gas certificate? if not get along to your solicitor and get it sorted as he is breaking the law im sure. If the wiring is shot he wont have an elec certificate, and i am pretty sure you can get it examined and he will have to repair it, and get it certified.
    I am unsure if you have called the landlord out previously for jobs(probably justified) and so he is just unhelpful due to that, or if he is just disinterested anyway. As you are not working it wont cost you anything to seek advice from a solicitor.
    I wouldnt be sat thinking about it if i was you-get advice and get to the council on the list or look for another private rent if things are as bad as you say? why you have stayed so long beats me:?

have you got in touch with any housing associations in your area to be placed on a list for re homing, where i live they own more of the housing than the council. the sooner you get away from renting off your existing landlord the better

Original Poster

louloo;3097816

Has the house got a valid electrical and gas certificate? if not get … Has the house got a valid electrical and gas certificate? if not get along to your solicitor and get it sorted as he is breaking the law im sure. If the wiring is shot he wont have an elec certificate, and i am pretty sure you can get it examined and he will have to repair it, and get it certified.I am unsure if you have called the landlord out previously for jobs(probably justified) and so he is just unhelpful due to that, or if he is just disinterested anyway. As you are not working it wont cost you anything to seek advice from a solicitor. I wouldnt be sat thinking about it if i was you-get advice and get to the council on the list or look for another private rent if things are as bad as you say? why you have stayed so long beats me:?

Its got a valid gas but no valid electrical certificate, but after having a quick search dont need to have a valid electrical certificate by law you only need a gas one.

Iv try & make it brife as pos to why i took this place,

I was in another private rented house it was only 3 bed, with having 3 kids & my OH was due to give birth to twins we were already sleeping downstairs as we had turned our room in to nursery for the twins.

I was qucikly shown around this house & i only really looked how big it was i DIDNT look at all the finer details i only wanted to make sure there was enough room for me, my partner & 5 kids to live. That there was the biggest mistake mistake iv EVER made.!!

When moving in he told me that he would have central heating fitted with in 3 months of me moving in cos at the mo we have only got hot air heating & that dose not even go in to every bedroom, im still waiting nealy a year on. he is now saying that he owns another house which is going to be knocked down soon, so he will rip the central heating out of there & put it in to mine

the front door had no letter box, so iv had to buy draft excluders for it but it dont stop all the cold from coming in, been to B&Q & homebase but they dont sell the size thats needed. landlord keeps saying he will sort it

Moved in only to find out the kitchen cupboards were dirty & rotten + kitchen floor was soaking wet cos last tentants washing machine had leaked when moving out. without cleaning it up. So the landlord to get a new kitchen & floor put in for me. cost over £1000 + labour cost's

The downstair's toilet started to leak he sent some to look at it, then went India for 6 weeks so i had a bucket catching the water until he got back to pay the bloke to do the work.

could carry on couple of broken light fitting & plug sockets, some iv even got a family member to fix cos i dont want my landlord moaning at me or getting my dad involved & moaning at me.

I am on the council waiting list but they dont really want to help as iv got a house bigger enough, & they say if iv got heating in one room they cant help for that reason, so i have to pre-warm the kids rooms with portable heaters before sending them to bed

The contract runs out at the end of this month, if i refuse to sign a new one the council will say that im making myself homeless on purpose & wont help me find another place

Iv got me & the kids in to a mess & there is no way out really. cant find the money to go to another private house as there is no way i would get the money for the deposit & months rent upfront
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1319
      2. What's up with people creating accounts just to ask for UNiDAYS codes?33
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047150
      4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 187 ***1129

See more discussions