Advice needed: Balanced Flue gas fire - brown stains inside the glass front

Found 24th Jan 2013
Was wondering whether anybody can offer any advice - particularly from gas engineers.
We had a brand new balanced flue gas fire installed in May last year, and have just noticed brown marks/streaking inside the glass front of the heater. Any idea what these could be?
Community Updates
11 Comments
Banned
Have you got a carbon monoxide detector fitted in your house ?
Original Poster
Just going to get one. After buying the house less than a year ago, its just something we never got round to doing. I'm now terrified of what it may be.
Banned
Why not phone the person who installed it ?
Original Poster
good point
Banned
Should have some warranty with it still ?
They are called skid marks. Its ok, they're quite common.
Original Poster
gmdlogan

They are called skid marks. Its ok, they're quite common.

Thanks. The existing balanced flue heater in the other other room already had them but the new heater has just developed them.

Do you know how they are caused?
Edited by: "fullbloom" 24th Jan 2013
im not an expert, but could be condensed steam/droplets, like you get in an oven glass door
Original Poster
Thanks to all those who helped. Situation has now been resolved. I phoned up the manufacturers.
fullbloom

Thanks to all those who helped. Situation has now been resolved. I phoned … Thanks to all those who helped. Situation has now been resolved. I phoned up the manufacturers.

Was it condensation?
Original Poster
I was given quite a comprehensive explanation. Basically, the natural gas that feeds into the fire has other chemicals mixed up with it, and it is the deposits from these chemicals after it is burnt that sticks onto the inside of the glass. It is worse in some weather situations. Hence it happening now.
Edited by: "fullbloom" 25th Jan 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants