Advice needed: Best long-lasting and warmest winter jackets/coats under £100

Posted 20th Jan 2023
Hello all, I'm in need of a new winter jacket/coat for next winter, currently I have a Superdry Ultimate Core Down Jacket but I'm looking for something warmer, durable, sustainable, and reasonably priced (under £100). Can anyone recommend any brands or models they've had good experiences with? Also, any tips on finding the warmest jacket and the difference between a jacket and a coat would be appreciated. I'm trying to buy something that would last me for many years, I believe in conscious buying and buying it for life (although it is not possible). I'm new to the UK always changing weather and to a cold weather in general. Thank you for your input and suggestions!
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I would always recommend multiple layer over one thick coat. I use a waterproof goretex coat as an outer layer and down jacket as an isulating layer if required. Cheaper and more flexible as sometimes it is rainy but not too cold etc.
    the best time to buy your winter cloths is in the spring / summer sales depending on the brand you want.

the best jacket brands i know of is Rab or Canada Goose but both are out your budget unless you look on ebay.

a Rab jacket is well known and liked, Canada Goose is a very expensive brand but it is seen as a fashion item and a big investment as the jackets can last upto 40 years if looked after. they also can be brought on ebay but second hand prices start at over £200 , simply because a new jacket costs £800 - £1400. i have a canada goose jacket i brought it second hand and its a very good quality jacket.
    Craghoppers Expolite jacket, with or without a hood versions are available. Im on my 6th year with mine. Often down as low as £60 but can be as much as £120 depending on when you buy.
    My winter jacket is a Dare 2b ski jacket and a hiking jacket from decathlon.
    It is mainly because of UK wet weather, it is better getting something waterproof with hood
    (edited)
    my hubby picked up a down snow boarding jacket at TKmaxx after winter ended in the sales, paid 50 for it and its going strong i would steal it if i could lol. A weird place to look is I have a Zara coat, its down, its lined, its waterproof and its 3 years going without letting me down and I have a raynaunds so i am always cold but not in this. It surprised me because my snowboarding coat didnt keep me this warm! lol. Pajar also makes lovely coats, snow and rock have a lot when the sale goes down.
's avatar
Top Merchants