Groups

advice needed - broadband

My contract with BT is at an end and i want to swap as they seem really expensive compared with others. I'm stuck between Virgin's £15 bundle with up to 8Mb (I can get 3Mb in my area) for the cheapness as it's unlimited, or go for the orange laptop deal (my OH wants to buy a laptop).

Does anyone have any advice on which is the best to go for?

26 Comments

Dont go with orange (everyone will tell you this - the laptop may be free but the broadband they provide is poo!)

My advice (before the ADSL2 clan get here) is to see if you can get Virgins cable internet in your area. If not then look into an ADSL2 provider like BeThere or similar.

We have BT 1mb and I aksked them today what's going on? so they have upgraded me to 9mb and given me 10% of my line rental :thumbsup: can't complain with that now :giggle:

talktalk - £32 Quidco, wireless router for £20 and £16/month for broadband, and off peak calls (including line rental)

Ok the ADSL2 clan is here!

Don't go with Talk Talk - they're very bad!

I'm with Sky blah, blah , blah....

Check the conversation in this thread between me and Saxo....

]http//ww…950

I am with Talktalk, and can't complain.
    I had a slight delay with getting the broadband set up but I was refunded £20 for the inconvenience.
    For £16/month for the package, the price is very hard to bead.
    £20 for a wireless router is also good.

mrtootough

I am with Talktalk, and can't complain.I had a slight delay with getting … I am with Talktalk, and can't complain.I had a slight delay with getting the broadband set up but I was refunded £20 for the inconvenience.For £16/month for the package, the price is very hard to bead.£20 for a wireless router is also good.

erm... Sky £5 a month, free wireless router, just under 8 meg, constant speed with no drop outs, very loose usage cap, free off-peak calls

:thumbsup: (ok, i still pay BT for line rental @ £10.99 a month......)

jayhab

erm... Sky £5 a month, free wireless router, just under 8 meg, constant … erm... Sky £5 a month, free wireless router, just under 8 meg, constant speed with no drop outs, very loose usage cap, free off-peak calls:thumbsup: (ok, i still pay BT for line rental @ £10.99 a month......)

+BT Line Rental (£11) and your sky subscription (£15 Minimum)

yes but the sky sub does bring some lovely programming and some of the best repeats from the BBC & ITV in the 80s!!!!

Go for the aol offer ^_^ [url]www.carphonewarehouse.com[/url]

seriously though, TT has unbundled an exchange 6 miles from me and several friends signed up, unfortunately there are some serious contention issues and let's just say, they're not very happy!!!

Crazy1

We have BT 1mb and I aksked them today what's going on? so they have … We have BT 1mb and I aksked them today what's going on? so they have upgraded me to 9mb and given me 10% of my line rental :thumbsup: can't complain with that now :giggle:

9 meg, with BT are you sure??? Didn't they offer you BT vision for nowt either?

My advice,is don't go with any ISP that insists on any contract over a month long.

What happens if your chosen provider turns out be useless, no escape.;-)

Paddy_o_furniture

9 meg, with BT are you sure??? Didn't they offer you BT vision for nowt … 9 meg, with BT are you sure??? Didn't they offer you BT vision for nowt either?

I think so, is that the voip that comes with it?, not much good as I don't know anyone else using BT voip and it will cost me if I contact a skype person, suppose to be getting a headset and something else. 'Regrade' as they call it happens on the 9th :thumbsup:

6 miles away and TT went ahead and let you order BB from them?

Ugh.

erm.... no! my post says they unbundled an exchange 6 miles away and some friends of mine signed up - not me, i'd never go with TT!!!

Sky all the way baby!!

If your staying with BT ask them about BT vision, the most you should have to pay is £30 installation. It's a freeview PVR with VOD content (not a tocuh on sky but the potential is there and it's good for a 2nd TV). The VOIP part is BT broadband talk which effectivley gives you a 2nd line with free evening and weekend calls (UK 01/02 numbers) you can get a geographic number for your hub too. BT's broadband at the moment is up to 8 meg, you'll get no faster than that until they start rolling out ADSL2. ]BT Vision Website

Paddy_o_furniture

If your staying with BT ask them about BT vision, the most you should … If your staying with BT ask them about BT vision, the most you should have to pay is £30 installation. It's a freeview PVR with VOD content (not a tocuh on sky but the potential is there and it's good for a 2nd TV). The VOIP part is BT broadband talk which effectivley gives you a 2nd line with free evening and weekend calls (UK 01/02 numbers) you can get a geographic number for your hub too. BT's broadband at the moment is up to 8 meg, you'll get no faster than that until they start rolling out ADSL2. ]BT Vision Website

I quite agree, although speeds in excess of 8 meg are available if one was to choose an LLU or cable service!

I think that wraps it up!! :thumbsup:

Virgin Media, 20mb Cable.
    No down time, ever.
    Download rate up to 2.4mb/s, upload up to 800kb/s

Did three speedtests, heres the results;

1 = http://www.speedtest.net/result/163858229.png

2 = speedtest.net/res…png

3 = speedtest.net/res…png

I wish cable would come to our area - Are they still cabling up new areas?
    Basically if you're in a cabled area, it's an absolute no-brainer, but unfortunately some of us just can't get it! :-(

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice guys.

I can't get cable internet in my area, what's Virgin's non-cable broadband like, anyone know?

I was stuck with them for 4 months prior to moving to Sky - it was absolutely awful - 176k download speed on their up to 8 meg service!!!! Tech team - only 1 person there knew how to fix things and it was pot luck if you managed to get through to him. They kepyt putting all the blame on BT and couldn't do anything to help, so in the end 'got out of jail free' and left!

Again Virgin (non-cable) use BT's ADSL network, so there will be contention issues at the exchange, not to mention their traffic shaping / capping policy!!

My advice - stear WELL clear!

Esther - can you not get SKY? - of course you also need to be a Sky subscriber, but if you already are - it's a cheap option!

I had a bad experience with Sky BB. Had it for about 7 months with continuous drop outs, particularly in the evening. The last straw came when my connection went down for 2 whole weeks, with their support not being able to help at all.

At this point I cancelled and went with Orange. My OH has an Orange mobile contract, so we only have to pay £5 per month for upto 8mb speed, unlimited downloads and free calls over VOIP to the UK and 100 international destinations. It took time for installation, but I've not had one drop out and the speed is consistent.

It seems that with Sky, Orange, Talktalk etc, you can get good service and connection, but if you're one of the unlucky ones that has a problem with the connection, then the customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Original Poster

I can get sky but don't want to pay for the subscription - i download most of what i watch (hence why i want a good bb connection) tv wise so i'm happy with freeview for now.

Me and the OH both have Orange phones on contract. Would we be able to get a deal on the subscription price and do the laptop deal as well do you think?

esthersmile

Me and the OH both have Orange phones on contract. Would we be able to … Me and the OH both have Orange phones on contract. Would we be able to get a deal on the subscription price and do the laptop deal as well do you think?

I would say that you could only do the laptop deal or mobile deal. I can't see them combining both.

The free Orange basic broadband that you get with a mobile contract limits your downloads to 2gb per month, or you can pay £5 per month for unlimited downloads.

Looking at the ]free laptop offer, it seems that you can only get the basic broadband (I could be wrong), so this would be no good if you download a lot.

If you take up BB with your mobile, you have to start a new 18 month contract.

Personally I would get Orange BB with a mobile contract and pay £5 per month for the unlimited downloads. Total cost for 2 years would be £120, against £337 if you went with the free laptop deal.

Maybe give Orange a call or pop into PC world and see what they suggest.

AOLs new laptop offer is awesome. Dell inspiron - 1gb ram, 80 gb hard drive, intel celeron 540, windows vista, free wireless router . . .
    compared to oranges El systems 3101 laptop, 256mb ram, 40 gb hard drive, windows xp and intel celeron m420
    plus orange have a download limit of 2GB MONTHLY !!!!

Original Poster

Well i phoned orange and you can't combine the two (no surprises there but worth a try). Reckon i can hold off on the laptop for a bit as i just bought the vostro 200 from dell (desktop) and can convince boyf that that will be plenty for his needs...

he won't be able to use it in the living room, but that's what the xbox is for!! I'm a bit worried that signing up for 2 years to orange is a bit of a risk if they are ****. i may end up in 20 minths time paying over the odds for rubbish speed, the way technology is going at the moment i'd rather have a year at the most and save for a nice laptop.

no offence waterfordmma but i wouldn't touch AOL with a barge pole. After having to "disinfect" many of my mates' pc's after they had put aol stuff on there i know how difficult their software is to get rid of!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?32160
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846220
      3. RIP DOCTOR WHO34
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764317

See more discussions