Advice needed for faulty car brakes pumping air

Found 3rd Jul
The brake pedal is sometimes going all the way to the floor without slowing the car down. It’s not every time, it can happen and then the brakes work fine for the next 10 times they’re needed. Pads and discs are fine. I’ve taken it to a garage and he bled the brakes and the ABS incase they had air in. The problem still persists though. Its quite scary when your driving and press the brake and the car just carries on rolling and I don’t even have a manual handbrake, it’s electronic. So when you press the brake and it fails, you have to release your foot from the pedal and press it again and it works then but it’s random as to when the brake will just go straight to the floor. Any advice on the probable cause is much appreciated, thanks.
Community Updates
AskHome & LivingBikeCar
17 Comments
Have you checked for a brake fluid leak ?
Has your level changed at all , what car is it?
Edited by: "stefromuk" 3rd Jul
Pedal travel genuinely to the floor, or travel to the usual point where braking would occur (but no braking effect applied to wheels)?
I had this issue with my 51 plate Passat some years ago. Turns out it was a servo issue and was too costly for me so I got rid of the car instead
Had this issue with drum brakes, it was the shoes needed re-adjusting after disassembly and cleaning.

I am happy to do any work required on the car/bikes but when it comes to working on brakes I hate it, sometimes I can bleed/flush in minutes and the next time its a complete PITA.
Sounds like either a leak or the brake servo to me. Best to get it done as quickly as possible.
Sounds like a servo issue. Try this test

Could be abs pump.

Possible brake piston sticking.

Leak?
Edited by: ".MUFC." 3rd Jul
Take it to a different garage and don’t drive it. Potentially you could kill someone or yourself.
stefromuk1 h, 19 m ago

Have you checked for a brake fluid leak ?Has your level changed at all , …Have you checked for a brake fluid leak ?Has your level changed at all , what car is it?

I haven checked properly myself I would’ve expected he garage to check this. I’ll check it over.
AndyRoyd51 m ago

Pedal travel genuinely to the floor, or travel to the usual point where …Pedal travel genuinely to the floor, or travel to the usual point where braking would occur (but no braking effect applied to wheels)?

All the way to the floor, then when it’s working normally, the braking point is about a quarter of the way to the floor.
Faiza40 m ago

I had this issue with my 51 plate Passat some years ago. Turns out it was …I had this issue with my 51 plate Passat some years ago. Turns out it was a servo issue and was too costly for me so I got rid of the car instead

My car is a Passat too 11 plate, hopefully it’s not that
.MUFC.35 m ago

Sounds like a servo issue. Try this testCould be abs pump.Possible brake …Sounds like a servo issue. Try this testCould be abs pump.Possible brake piston sticking.Leak?

Thanks for the link, just tried the test and it seems to be working fine. AA on their way out now as I have parts cover so I’ll see what they say.
jayonline8510 m ago

Thanks for the link, just tried the test and it seems to be working fine. …Thanks for the link, just tried the test and it seems to be working fine. AA on their way out now as I have parts cover so I’ll see what they say.

You're welcome, possibly a sticking piston or the abs pump then
Edited by: ".MUFC." 3rd Jul
.MUFC.31 m ago

ABS pump would probably show an error or at least a light.
My money is on Servo.

Biggest worry is it’s happened more than once and still the car was being driven. Failed 1/10 times of brake use. I’d be lucky if I got more than 1/2 a mile before it failed.
Oneday7716 m ago

ABS pump would probably show an error or at least a light. My money is on …ABS pump would probably show an error or at least a light. My money is on Servo. Biggest worry is it’s happened more than once and still the car was being driven. Failed 1/10 times of brake use. I’d be lucky if I got more than 1/2 a mile before it failed.

Not always, I'd be inclined to think a sticking piston or something. He has tested servo and it seems to be functioning. Seems an intermittent fault.
.MUFC.1 h, 4 m ago

A guy came from the AA and said it seems like the master cyclinder and he explained that it could be something inside sticking and not allowing the fluid through. Sounds like you were right. Waiting to get it checked in to Halfords as I have parts and labour cover up to £500 with a £35 excess.
jayonline859 m ago

A guy came from the AA and said it seems like the master cyclinder and he …A guy came from the AA and said it seems like the master cyclinder and he explained that it could be something inside sticking and not allowing the fluid through. Sounds like you were right. Waiting to get it checked in to Halfords as I have parts and labour cover up to £500 with a £35 excess.

It's a common fault on any car and the first suspect tbh. Think yourself lucky it's not the abs pump. They're very expensive new and second hand they're a gamble etc. Master cylinders are relatively cheap.
.MUFC.3rd Jul

It's a common fault on any car and the first suspect tbh. Think yourself …It's a common fault on any car and the first suspect tbh. Think yourself lucky it's not the abs pump. They're very expensive new and second hand they're a gamble etc. Master cylinders are relatively cheap.

Turned out to be the master cylinder said it was a ball ache of a job though because there wasn’t much room to access it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants