Advice needed for MOT

Found 29th Aug 2017
Hi
My daughters Peugeot 107 (2008) is booked in for a MOT tomorrow and I was checking things yesterday and the Airbag light was flashing whist running.
It did come on once about 6 months ago and I had a wiggle with the connector under the seat and that seemed to sort it but now it's back and I've tried again and disconnected it and sprayed WD-40 but it won't go this time.
I've since read online I could just cut the connector out and wire the wires back together but I'm not sure on that one.
Has anyone else had this problem and is it a MOT failure ?
as I've looked online but can't see no mention of that only a reference to the seat belt tensioner.
cheers

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

Wd40 isn't the right stuff to use. It's an penetrating oil.

Original Poster

Cheers ,
no I just used standard wd-40 which works with connectors also it even says in their description.

stefromuk14 m ago

Cheers , no I just used standard wd-40 which works with connectors also it …Cheers , no I just used standard wd-40 which works with connectors also it even says in their description.

I don't think they would be selling a separate product if it was ideal. You could try spraying isopropyl on the contacts to try and remove the oil but I would take the hit and buy proper contact cleaner. Also if you had it apart check you haven't bent any pins.

Yep it's very likely to be the under seat connector. Give it another wiggle. You should not use wd40 you should use electrical contact cleaner.

Airbag light on is a failure, if the light doesn't come on at all i.e bulb removed then it's just an advisory

Same happened to my car Renault clio, seat belt light was on, it is a failure, my conector had got damp had to take it to my local garage and get it fixed he charged me £30.00 for a new one. check it is dry and dont use WD40 could make it worse I think

Original Poster

kester761 h, 55 m ago

I don't think they would be selling a separate product if it was ideal. …I don't think they would be selling a separate product if it was ideal. You could try spraying isopropyl on the contacts to try and remove the oil but I would take the hit and buy proper contact cleaner. Also if you had it apart check you haven't bent any pins.

Cheers
Yeah I will try that worth a shot.
I've only took the driver's side connector off so far was going to look at the passengers when I get home.

I dont know but if you are willing to risk your daughters life but wiggling the wire (which can disable the airbag at any time) than please be my guest... natural selection at its finest.

Please go to a garage and get it fixed, it isnt a bulb or a handbrake, this failure can cost a life

Original Poster

mattsk7 h, 26 m ago

I dont know but if you are willing to risk your daughters life but …I dont know but if you are willing to risk your daughters life but wiggling the wire (which can disable the airbag at any time) than please be my guest... natural selection at its finest.Please go to a garage and get it fixed, it isnt a bulb or a handbrake, this failure can cost a life

No the reason for that is because it's a common fault on that model with dodgy connectors and it cleared the last time it happened.
But obviously if it doesn't clear this time I'll get it fixed but was wanting to know if it passed a mot like this as it's tomorrow so would need to arrange something.

stefromuk10 h, 5 m ago

No the reason for that is because it's a common fault on that model with …No the reason for that is because it's a common fault on that model with dodgy connectors and it cleared the last time it happened.But obviously if it doesn't clear this time I'll get it fixed but was wanting to know if it passed a mot like this as it's tomorrow so would need to arrange something.

I'm sorry but that is piss poor excuse. Even if it's common fault how do you know that this particular time the airbag will work?

Original Poster

mattsk3 h, 21 m ago

I'm sorry but that is piss poor excuse. Even if it's common fault how do …I'm sorry but that is piss poor excuse. Even if it's common fault how do you know that this particular time the airbag will work?

Give over
You check the common faults first then move on.
If there's a problem I fix it myself and if in unable to I get it fixed at a garage.
Just because you like to take it straight into a garage without attempting a repair first is up to you.
And for your information the car is in for MOT today and it's not being driven by her as I'm taking it there , and if it fails it won't be driven as it expires tomorrow and I'll take it to a garage for repair.
Don't know why I'm justifying myself to you anyway.
Edited by: "stefromuk" 30th Aug 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions