Advice needed for Paypal/eBay issue

Found 5th Apr
Hi there, just hoping someone can give advice on an issue I've got at the moment. I now live in France and have had an item sent to me from the UK - an Amazon Kindle. I ordered it from the UK as A) Prices for Kindles on Amazon France are steeper than the UK and B) The French just DO NOT seem to want to sell their Kindles on eBay in France - no idea why.

Anyway it has been sent across, with tracking, and is now showing as 'distribue' from a sorting office approx 70km away from me.

I do not have the Kindle.

I haven't signed for anything, have been left no notes regarding it, the only information I have as to its whereabouts are online. It is also coming up as 'Lettre recommande' as in it's a letter-sized item and not a parcel as it should be.

I should add that the seller has been nothing but helpful and seems legit - 100% feedback, 3000+ deals.

Do any of you have an inkling of where I stand? I've tried Googling but everything is inconclusive.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
34 Comments
Has the seller contacted who ever it was he used to post it ?
As it's his contract with them they should be able to give more detail to him.
stefromuk3 m ago

Has the seller contacted who ever it was he used to post it ?As it's his …Has the seller contacted who ever it was he used to post it ?As it's his contract with them they should be able to give more detail to him.

Yep he used Royal Mail and they've said that as it's showing on the tracker as 'delivered in France' that's it as far as they are concerned.
Basics of UK contract law 101- you purchased an item including delivery. You paid but have not received the item. The contract has not been fulfilled. You are entitled to your money back.

> Did you specify the means of shipment? No; it is the sellers problem. Yes; it is your problem so long as the seller can show shipment took place and was adequately wrapped.

> Did the supplier ship to your verified (Paypal) address? Yes; the seller accepted responsibility for shipping to that address and it is the sellers problem as they contracted the P&P. No; then the seller should not have shipped it and it is the sellers problem.

> Is the item prohibited in the destination country? Less easy to answer. Not sure who owns the problem.

HOWEVER

from what you say, it may be that you have not yet complied with the admin technicalities in your chosen location and the item may be available when you do so. I do not envy you dealing with French bureaucracy

By the by

I used to work for HMG not long ago. We had laptops. We could use them outside the UK with permission. France was well known as one place where it was not even worth asking for permission. May or may not be relevant info.
LoRdPlOps11116 m ago

Yep he used Royal Mail and they've said that as it's showing on the …Yep he used Royal Mail and they've said that as it's showing on the tracker as 'delivered in France' that's it as far as they are concerned.

Royal Mail are useless at dealing with problems.
Maybe you could contact the local post office that should have posted it see what they say.
I didn't think Royal mail would deliver things with a battery in it like the Kindle?
Maybe he didn't declare that to them.
stefromuk4 m ago

Royal Mail are useless at dealing with problems.Maybe you could contact …Royal Mail are useless at dealing with problems.Maybe you could contact the local post office that should have posted it see what they say.I didn't think Royal mail would deliver things with a battery in it like the Kindle?Maybe he didn't declare that to them.

I contacted them and they said to set up a reclamation - you'd have thought they would try and track it down first, but no. I was kind of hoping they would get on the blower and phone the sorting office that had 'delivered' it, but they didn't. Hadn't considered the battery to be honest, good point. Thanks for the help btw.
ccnp17 m ago

Basics of UK contract law 101- you purchased an item including delivery. …Basics of UK contract law 101- you purchased an item including delivery. You paid but have not received the item. The contract has not been fulfilled. You are entitled to your money back.> Did you specify the means of shipment? No; it is the sellers problem. Yes; it is your problem so long as the seller can show shipment took place and was adequately wrapped.> Did the supplier ship to your verified (Paypal) address? Yes; the seller accepted responsibility for shipping to that address and it is the sellers problem as they contracted the P&P. No; then the seller should not have shipped it and it is the sellers problem.> Is the item prohibited in the destination country? Less easy to answer. Not sure who owns the problem.HOWEVERfrom what you say, it may be that you have not yet complied with the admin technicalities in your chosen location and the item may be available when you do so. I do not envy you dealing with French bureaucracyBy the byI used to work for HMG not long ago. We had laptops. We could use them outside the UK with permission. France was well known as one place where it was not even worth asking for permission. May or may not be relevant info.

They've been spot on so far La Poste, this is the first time I've had a problem, however it's also the first (and possibly last) time that I've ordered anything of this value from the UK. The French take bureaucracy to all new heights...sigh I can see this being a long, painful process. Thanks for the advice.
So you haven't received it yet is it held or is it still on its way to you?
If it's unboxed it would come as large letter, not parcel.
MR112358 m ago

So you haven't received it yet is it held or is it still on its way to you?

Has been marked as 'Distribue' since the 27th of March :-( when I queried this term at MY local office they said it means the same thing as delivered, this despite the fact that since I have been using the La Poste tracking website, every single item I've had delivered has been marked as 'Livre'.
redcantona44 m ago

If it's unboxed it would come as large letter, not parcel.

It's boxed up, that was one of the reasons I bought it, he advertised it as 'never having been out of the box' (or words to that effect) plus it was bundled with a charger, and he also said it was boxed (I probably should have led with that).
Distribue isn't usually used for a status of delivered, as you say, livre is.

Have you got the tracking number?
Edited by: "windym" 5th Apr
The person who posted it should be making a claim from Royal mail if it was sent tracked.
Bigfootpete10 m ago

The person who posted it should be making a claim from Royal mail if it …The person who posted it should be making a claim from Royal mail if it was sent tracked.

He said that Royal Mail said to him as far as they were concerned it was showing as delivered in France and therefore he couldn't claim anything.
windym15 m ago

Distribue isn't usually used for a status of delivered, as you say, livre …Distribue isn't usually used for a status of delivered, as you say, livre is. Have you got the tracking number?

Yup. RN308815543GB
LoRdPlOps11125 m ago

He said that Royal Mail said to him as far as they were concerned it was …He said that Royal Mail said to him as far as they were concerned it was showing as delivered in France and therefore he couldn't claim anything.

Looks like it was delivered to someone else, no signature shown. Seller has to push more harder for a claim and looks like you have to open a case via PayPal if used.
MR112310 m ago

Looks like it was delivered to someone else, no signature shown. Seller …Looks like it was delivered to someone else, no signature shown. Seller has to push more harder for a claim and looks like you have to open a case via PayPal if used.

Yes, sorry I should have made that clear, I used Paypal and actually rang them up last night - more to see where I stood than anything - they immediately opened a case and escalated it (which wasn't a step I wanted to take just yet) they also told me 'Don't worry, we've got your back'. I was not 100% reassured by this - hence this post.
Come back to England mate. We don't lock the doors until next March.
redcantona1 m ago

Come back to England mate. We don't lock the doors until next March.

LoRdPlOps1111 h, 7 m ago

He said that Royal Mail said to him as far as they were concerned it was …He said that Royal Mail said to him as far as they were concerned it was showing as delivered in France and therefore he couldn't claim anything.

If they didn't deliver to the correct place then he can claim. I managed to make a claim when I sent something to NZ, it eventually arrived two months later.
I checked both the UK and French sites for tracking and it does say it's delivered. You will lose an eBay and Paypal case.

What you need to do is ask the seller to dispute it with the delivery company. Did you pay by card via Paypal? If you did, you may be able to ask them to do a chargeback. But most card companies won't allow chargebacks when Paypal has been an intermediary in the transaction. Good luck.
On another note, is it possible to get the id numbers from the item and have it blocked, albeit temporarily? I don't know how they work so apologies if this is duff help!
windym1 h, 35 m ago

On another note, is it possible to get the id numbers from the item and …On another note, is it possible to get the id numbers from the item and have it blocked, albeit temporarily? I don't know how they work so apologies if this is duff help!

I did wonder about that - and mentioned it to the seller - but not sure if that's possible :-(
windym1 h, 41 m ago

I checked both the UK and French sites for tracking and it does say it's …I checked both the UK and French sites for tracking and it does say it's delivered. You will lose an eBay and Paypal case.What you need to do is ask the seller to dispute it with the delivery company. Did you pay by card via Paypal? If you did, you may be able to ask them to do a chargeback. But most card companies won't allow chargebacks when Paypal has been an intermediary in the transaction. Good luck.

Thanks, I was hoping that the fact that it showed as delivered to a point 70kms away would have an impact on it but now I'm not sure. I've put the claim in anyway so will just have to see how it all comes out. Oh the joys of life..
You could try adding to the case that the location is 70kms away and see if you can bring it to the attention of ebay before they close the case as having been delivered. You get 8 days before you can escalate so it's a good time to add all the info you have.

Good luck with it, it's a horrid thing to have happen and I think we've all probably been there at some time.
stefromuk11 h, 6 m ago

Royal Mail are useless at dealing with problems.Maybe you could contact …Royal Mail are useless at dealing with problems.Maybe you could contact the local post office that should have posted it see what they say.I didn't think Royal mail would deliver things with a battery in it like the Kindle?Maybe he didn't declare that to them.

They do. Have used them lots of times with phones and even my Macbook Pro and they delivered everything fine even when I used the self service machines and didn't specify there was a battery inside.

Where was the Kindle bought from? eBay UK or Amazon UK?

I read the comments and I understand it was bought from eBay... Ask the seller to confirm what address they sent it to. He should have a receipt with the address... If he could upload it in a message on eBay that would be proof in case it's a different address and you could have more chances to win a case even with a tracking showing "delivered" or equivalent.

Consider that the status of delivered isn't enough as eBay /PayPal also need to see it was sent to the same address as it is on PayPal.
As far as I know RM's tracking doesn't say what address it was delivered to so the seller needs to prove they sent it to the correct address using the receipt that shows the tracking number that says delivered.
If the two addresses are different then you have a strong chance of winning.
Edited by: "hearts22" 5th Apr
You can push for a winning ebay claim because you have no signature and the item is delivered 70miles from you. This should be all the info you need to win your claim. The seller can then claim back from royal mail using the same criteria. It really is a case of pushing in the right direction.
Edited by: "larrylightweight" 6th Apr
larrylightweight6 h, 34 m ago

You can push for a winning ebay claim becuase you have no signature and …You can push for a winning ebay claim becuase you have no signature and the item is delivered 70miles from you. This should be all the info you need to win your claim. The seller can then claim back from royal mail useing the same criteria. It realy is a case of pushing in the right direction.

Signature is only required for item over £750. He can definitely do something about the delivery address being completely different like I said in my post above
hearts2220 h, 20 m ago

They do. Have used them lots of times with phones and even my Macbook Pro …They do. Have used them lots of times with phones and even my Macbook Pro and they delivered everything fine even when I used the self service machines and didn't specify there was a battery inside. Where was the Kindle bought from? eBay UK or Amazon UK?I read the comments and I understand it was bought from eBay... Ask the seller to confirm what address they sent it to. He should have a receipt with the address... If he could upload it in a message on eBay that would be proof in case it's a different address and you could have more chances to win a case even with a tracking showing "delivered" or equivalent. Consider that the status of delivered isn't enough as eBay /PayPal also need to see it was sent to the same address as it is on PayPal. As far as I know RM's tracking doesn't say what address it was delivered to so the seller needs to prove they sent it to the correct address using the receipt that shows the tracking number that says delivered. If the two addresses are different then you have a strong chance of winning.

Hi, I bought it on eBay UK - I asked for confirmation and he said he had sent it to my address and quoted the correct one.
larrylightweight17 h, 44 m ago

You can push for a winning ebay claim becuase you have no signature and …You can push for a winning ebay claim becuase you have no signature and the item is delivered 70miles from you. This should be all the info you need to win your claim. The seller can then claim back from royal mail useing the same criteria. It realy is a case of pushing in the right direction.

I'm hoping it is all resolved amicably - he's been good so far, and I with him - he even said not to worry to me and he'd sort the money out - obviously thing can be said and then retracted later though. I am going to flag up the lack of signature and distance from the other depot though, hopefully that will go in my favour if we have to go down that route.
LoRdPlOps11154 m ago

Hi, I bought it on eBay UK - I asked for confirmation and he said he had …Hi, I bought it on eBay UK - I asked for confirmation and he said he had sent it to my address and quoted the correct one.

Ask to see the receipt. Just to be sure he is telling the truth; signature isn't required by eBay /PayPal if the item is worth less than £750.
The only thing they want to see is a status of delivered or equivalent at the address that's on your PayPal.

I think there must have been an error by the courier company in processing the address and they would only liaise with the seller as he's their client in that case. Good thing if he's cooperative.
Edited by: "hearts22" 6th Apr
hearts2213 m ago

Ask to see the receipt. Just to be sure he is telling the truth; signature …Ask to see the receipt. Just to be sure he is telling the truth; signature isn't required by eBay /PayPal if the item is worth less than £750. The only thing they want to see is a status of delivered or equivalent at the address that's on your PayPal.I think there must have been an error by the courier company in processing the address and they would only liaise with the seller as he's their client in that case. Good thing if he's cooperative.

Yes, I honestly think it's just one of those rare occasions where neither the buyer or seller is at fault but one of them is going to get shafted - he hasn't actually uploaded any tracking information to eBay or Paypal, he's just forwarded the number to me - which I do find slightly odd, but as long as things turn out OK I won't question it too much. I will update on here when there's actually a resolution to the matter - thanks for your help and advice.
LoRdPlOps1112 m ago

Yes, I honestly think it's just one of those rare occasions where neither …Yes, I honestly think it's just one of those rare occasions where neither the buyer or seller is at fault but one of them is going to get shafted - he hasn't actually uploaded any tracking information to eBay or Paypal, he's just forwarded the number to me - which I do find slightly odd, but as long as things turn out OK I won't question it too much. I will update on here when there's actually a resolution to the matter - thanks for your help and advice.

Good luck
hearts226th Apr

Good luck

Just as an update and for anyone else interested it looks like Paypal have sided with me - I'm not going to crow about it because, as I said, I genuinely think nobody was at fault here.

I've been on and off the phone with Paypal and they said that, as the item was showing as delivered a distance of 70kms (actually 92 when he checked it) away that the tracking was insufficient and they will process the refund.

So sort of great, just feel bad for the other guy.

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice :-)
LoRdPlOps11143 m ago

Just as an update and for anyone else interested it looks like Paypal have …Just as an update and for anyone else interested it looks like Paypal have sided with me - I'm not going to crow about it because, as I said, I genuinely think nobody was at fault here.I've been on and off the phone with Paypal and they said that, as the item was showing as delivered a distance of 70kms (actually 92 when he checked it) away that the tracking was insufficient and they will process the refund.So sort of great, just feel bad for the other guy.Thanks again for everyone's help and advice :-)

Well done

Hopefully the guy gets his money back from the delivery company.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants