Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Advice needed from HUKD community.

Posted 6th Jan
hi I have recently sold a TV that's only a few weeks old on eBay for collection only the buyer has paid via PayPal everything has gone smooth so far but my question is for my own protection should I take a video of the buyer coming to collect the item? and making sure he is happy ect.. as I've heard lots of scammers saying they never collected such item.. please let me know what you're course of action would be.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Refund the payment and tell them to bring it on the day and check all notes when they do come to collect. There are a few scams such as where the buyer will say didn’t receive and PayPal won’t cover you for collection. Insist on cash only for collection. It could be totally legit but I wouldn’t take the chance.
Edited by: "samtman" 6th Jan
video wont mean anything, Ebay only accepts something from a courier like tracking number

cash on collection is the only way to be safe
39 Comments
Refund the payment and tell them to bring it on the day and check all notes when they do come to collect. There are a few scams such as where the buyer will say didn’t receive and PayPal won’t cover you for collection. Insist on cash only for collection. It could be totally legit but I wouldn’t take the chance.
Edited by: "samtman" 6th Jan
Tricky one you could sign a disclaimer as he collects it and offer to switch it on?
I would personally also take photos of the tv time/date stamped to prove condition
If you record the person you would have to ask for permission I’m guessing
I sold one recently and they insisted they didn’t want to see it switched on and working, so I made a video stating the date and time and showed it was in working order just before they arrived (and the TV was a few years old and I suspect yours has sold for a lot more). There was no issue as it turned out and not sure whether my video would’ve made any difference, but it made me feel better! The guy who picked it up said ‘no I trust you, plus I know where you live’ (with a laugh). Looked to me like he didn’t show particular care loading it until his car so it could’ve been damaged in transit...
Edited by: "Ianaf72" 6th Jan
video wont mean anything, Ebay only accepts something from a courier like tracking number

cash on collection is the only way to be safe
You absolutely MUST cancel the payment and insist on cash. You just cannot take Paypal and let someone collect, it doesn't matter what you video or get the customer to sign you will 100% get scammed. They will take it away and then later open a not received dispute, they have 180 days to do this now.
Ianaf7206/01/2020 15:41

I sold one recently and they insisted they didn’t want to see it switched o …I sold one recently and they insisted they didn’t want to see it switched on and working, so I made a video stating the date and time and showed it was in working order just before they arrived (and the TV was a few years old and I suspect yours has sold for a lot more). There was no issue as it turned out and not sure whether my video would’ve made any difference, but it made me feel better! The guy who picked it up said ‘no I trust you, plus I know where you live’ (with a laugh). Looked to me like he didn’t show particular care loading it until his car so it could’ve been damaged in transit...

Hope you didn't take Paypal.
Cash only for me
I used to simply ask a buyer to sign "received" & their signature at point of collection, just as you would in a warehouse.that way it is a document in hand.
it could be uploaded if a dispute arose.
Mr_Gus06/01/2020 15:56

I used to simply ask a buyer to sign "received" & their signature at point …I used to simply ask a buyer to sign "received" & their signature at point of collection, just as you would in a warehouse.that way it is a document in hand.it could be uploaded if a dispute arose.

Would this be enough as proof for eBay if something went wrong? as I could print something off and ask buyer to sign
Mr_Gus06/01/2020 15:56

I used to simply ask a buyer to sign "received" & their signature at point …I used to simply ask a buyer to sign "received" & their signature at point of collection, just as you would in a warehouse.that way it is a document in hand.it could be uploaded if a dispute arose.

Or could I get the buyer to send a message to me via eBay to confirm he's happy with the product and has collected it? as it's proof via ebay messages then
Justsuperman06/01/2020 16:02

Would this be enough as proof for eBay if something went wrong? as I could …Would this be enough as proof for eBay if something went wrong? as I could print something off and ask buyer to sign

It's certainly not enough. To be covered by seller protection you must send the item to the registered address and upload the tracking number to ebay/paypal. The rules are the rules and trust me they stick to them, no exceptions.
Justsuperman06/01/2020 16:05

Or could I get the buyer to send a message to me via eBay to confirm he's …Or could I get the buyer to send a message to me via eBay to confirm he's happy with the product and has collected it? as it's proof via ebay messages then

Doesn't make any difference, you must send the item with tracking to the registered buyer address.
Azwipe06/01/2020 16:13

Doesn't make any difference, you must send the item with tracking to the …Doesn't make any difference, you must send the item with tracking to the registered buyer address.

Okay bud, I believe you hence why I put this thread up
No ifs, no buts - cash on collection only

Doesn't make any difference, you must send the item with tracking to the …Doesn't make any difference, you must send the item with tracking to the registered buyer address.

Do I cancel via eBay or PayPal to refund the buyer
Bank transfer is ok, better than cash as no chance of dodgy notes.
Justsuperman06/01/2020 16:02

Would this be enough as proof for eBay if something went wrong? as I could …Would this be enough as proof for eBay if something went wrong? as I could print something off and ask buyer to sign

It’s risky because actual buyer could send his mate to collect so all your ‘sign this’ ‘ive a photo of you taking it’ etc will all mean nothing if he says he didn’t collect. Your proof could be you getting a mate to sign it etc so PayPal will still side with buyer if he’s dodgy. Chances are he’s legit but is it worth risking?
toonsquirel06/01/2020 16:21

It’s risky because actual buyer could send his mate to collect so all your …It’s risky because actual buyer could send his mate to collect so all your ‘sign this’ ‘ive a photo of you taking it’ etc will all mean nothing if he says he didn’t collect. Your proof could be you getting a mate to sign it etc so PayPal will still side with buyer if he’s dodgy. Chances are he’s legit but is it worth risking?

I've messaged to refund him and asked for cash on collection but we'll see.
What was on the PayPal invoice and was it goods or friends? If paid as friends your ok and if invoice doesn’t have full info you could just post him the remote or something like that to have your proof. Still risky though if he’s dodgy, most are genuine and the fact is you only hear of the small amount of people been scammed and you don’t hear of the millions who’ve risked it and had no problem.
toonsquirel06/01/2020 16:24

What was on the PayPal invoice and was it goods or friends? If paid as …What was on the PayPal invoice and was it goods or friends? If paid as friends your ok and if invoice doesn’t have full info you could just post him the remote or something like that to have your proof. Still risky though if he’s dodgy, most are genuine and the fact is you only hear of the small amount of people been scammed and you don’t hear of the millions who’ve risked it and had no problem.

Well it was sold on eBay so it wont be friends and family
toonsquirel06/01/2020 16:24

What was on the PayPal invoice and was it goods or friends? If paid as …What was on the PayPal invoice and was it goods or friends? If paid as friends your ok and if invoice doesn’t have full info you could just post him the remote or something like that to have your proof. Still risky though if he’s dodgy, most are genuine and the fact is you only hear of the small amount of people been scammed and you don’t hear of the millions who’ve risked it and had no problem.

Not wanting to be funny but your giving out bad advise here. It was an ebay sale so it couldn't have been a friends/familly transfer. You absolutely must follow the rules when selling with Paypal that includes posting the goods as described, sending the remote would be a silly mistake. People prey on people who are not clued up on ebay so you should not take the view that only a few people are scammers. Ebay is full of scammers and Paypal with collections is the oldest trick in the book. The op had the common sense to ask for advise on here, plenty of us have been trading on ebay for years and know all the scams.
Edited by: "Azwipe" 6th Jan
Azwipe06/01/2020 16:31

Not wanting to be funny but your giving out bad advise here. It was an …Not wanting to be funny but your giving out bad advise here. It was an ebay sale so it couldn't have been a friends/familly transfer. You absolutely must follow the rules when selling with Paypal that includes posting the goods as described, sending the remote would be a silly mistake. People prey on people who are not clued up on ebay so you should not take the view that only a few people are scammers. Ebay is full of scammers and Paypal with collections is the oldest trick in the book. The op had the common sense to ask for advise on here, plenty of us have been trading on ebay for years and know all the scams.

He could of took the deal away from eBay, You do realise if you offer PayPal through eBay and offer collection as an option the buyer has the right to pay by PayPal and you can’t refuse it. Also if he genuinely is still in ebay cycle then you can get the buyer to message through eBay while in the house collecting to say thanks for the tv I’ve collected it and eBay are happy with this.

Talking about bad advice, eBay clearly state sending a message is proof and they also state you CANT ask a buyer to pay a different way than you’ve got on the listing so if he has PayPal it’s against rules not to accept PayPal and ask for cash.
Justsuperman06/01/2020 16:30

Well it was sold on eBay so it wont be friends and family

In that case as others have stated he’s already accepted PayPal as payment and will need separate proof like message through eBay, eBay also state you can get person collecting sign something but they could lie which is the risk of this.
Oh what about disclaimer and proof of ID of the buyer and take a photo of it
you could therefore ask for driving license, scan it & get a matching signature as proof of pick up, honest folk have never minded proving who they are, turning up at a pre-set time, pre-set location etc...
ndyanem06/01/2020 16:48

Oh what about disclaimer and proof of ID of the buyer and take a photo of …Oh what about disclaimer and proof of ID of the buyer and take a photo of it

That’s what I’d do along with asking them to send message stating item collected, if they come with proof like driving licence that a photo can be took of that will be good.
Personally I’d not of chosen that option on eBay as it has its risks but that time has passed.
Azwipe06/01/2020 15:51

You absolutely MUST cancel the payment and insist on cash. You just cannot …You absolutely MUST cancel the payment and insist on cash. You just cannot take Paypal and let someone collect, it doesn't matter what you video or get the customer to sign you will 100% get scammed. They will take it away and then later open a not received dispute, they have 180 days to do this now.

How exactly do you know he will be "100% scammed'.... The buyer used a convenient, easy way of paying for an item..... doesn't mean he/she is a scammer
Just get them to sign a receipt that they have picked it up.
furbars06/01/2020 17:17

Just get them to sign a receipt that they have picked it up.

Ebay wont accept that
Refund it. Get it in cash. Do this immediately
toonsquirel06/01/2020 16:45

eBay clearly state sending a message is proof

Where do they state that sending an 'I collected' message is acceptable proof?
I get why taking a picture of ID works for the seller, but as a buyer I wouldn't accept the seller taking a picture of my ID (and I'm no scammer)

To me the only solution is to refund and ask for cash on collection
deeky06/01/2020 21:36

Where do they state that sending an 'I collected' message is acceptable …Where do they state that sending an 'I collected' message is acceptable proof?

39610858-tsbVo.jpg
Bob2460107/01/2020 05:16

I get why taking a picture of ID works for the seller, but as a buyer I …I get why taking a picture of ID works for the seller, but as a buyer I wouldn't accept the seller taking a picture of my ID (and I'm no scammer)To me the only solution is to refund and ask for cash on collection

If the buyer isn’t happy with eBay suggestions for proof then at least the seller can ask for cash instead then, but as per ebay rules you can’t ask for cash if you’ve already offered PayPal.
steve.t06/01/2020 16:58

How exactly do you know he will be "100% scammed'.... The buyer used a …How exactly do you know he will be "100% scammed'.... The buyer used a convenient, easy way of paying for an item..... doesn't mean he/she is a scammer

Yeah I bet it’s in the 1000s and 1000s who daily sell on eBay and get the item collected that’s been paid by PayPal and 99.9% probably have no problems. No different from taking cash there’s a small chance it’s fake but you can’t avoid everything that might be a scam or fake you just have to best protect yourself just in case.
Just ring PayPal up and ask what's the procedure for sellers protection when the buyer is collecting and paying via PayPal. Tell them your concerns.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants