Groups

Advice Needed on Car Insurance. Owning 2 cars.

Banned
    The scenario:
    I have owned a Micra for several years with me being the owner and the wife being a named driver (she passed test 2 years ago). Paid £530 to esure. Voluntary Excess is £150 Renewed in January. Got 5 years Protected NCB.

Thats all fine, and I think the price is reasonable.

Here comes the problem. I bought another car, a Zafira. Rang up esure, and they said they do not do 2 cars, so they gave me a number for Masterquote and he gave me a code too (they are connected to them). Rang them but they are closed today. So went on their site. The quote was £2400, lol. Forget this, I thought.

So I popped along to gocompare and confused. Am getting quotes from tesco/admiral for £800ish. I stated I have 5 years NCB and want protected.

The question is, If I go ahead and do the insurance, what implications does it have on the esure insurance. Does that 5 years automatically come off that policy and onto the tesco/admiral one? OR do I need to ring esure up and tell them that I have transferred my NCB? Will the price for the esure insurance go sky high?

Any comments, advice, hints, tips will be appreciated as I am quite confused.

I do want the NCB do be on the new car, so if the wife has an accident my insurance is not affected, and she needs to start to build her own NCB anyway.

23 Comments

You are responsible for telling your current insurer that you are switching your NCB across. There are some companies that will allow your wife a NCB based on her claim free years of driving your car, its worth looking around.

Have I got this right...
    Micra insured in your name until Jan 11,wife a named driver
    You have new Zafira you want to insure?

You can not use the NCB on the micra policy for a new policy for the zafira unless you end the policy with esure,the same bonus cannot be used on 2 policies at the 1 time,

So either you leave the micra policy as it is with you as main driver,wife 2nd driver and let it run it's course,or
    you change the vehicle details on that policy to your zefira and your wife takes out a new policy on her own ,

Or admiral do a 2 car policy,but each car still has to have it's own no claims bonus,so if you took out a 2 car policy from them,you would be insuring 1 car with your current no claims bonus and the other with 1st time insurance or zero no claims,

They also let you take the policy out for car1 now then add the 2nd when the other policy on 2nd expires,so that would entail insuring your zafira without any no claims discount now with a view to adding the micra in jan using the NCB it already has,

If you aren't going to be the main driver of the micra anymore though legally you have to inform the insurance of this,

You just have to work around with the options and which car it would benefit the most to have the full no claims discount on...obviously the one with the higher insurance premium,

It may work out best to just keep what you have,put your new car onto it and let your wife take out a brand new policy,she'll get a starter bonus at least and possibly a good cashback on it too

Original Poster Banned

thanks for that advice grabbit, you got the scenario right.
    your advice is useful...
    i think i will ring esure up again and tell them i have changed my car, hopefully it should not be too expensive. so i will be keeping the ncb on micra.
    then i will have an uninsured micra, so will have to find insurance for it. i suppose that will not be cheap.

It wont be that expensive I wouldn't think,I have 2 cars insured,1 with full no claims and another which I started afresh with none,only cost me about £200 for the 2nd one and I got £50 cashback,so for £150 that was brill

Go do all the comparision sites like compare the market,go compare,travel supermarket etc and see which one gives best quote for the micra for 1st time insurance,

Then check out the cashback offered on the cheapest ones from quidco to see which works out cheaper overall,

Use quidco too while your doing the comparision sites,

Clear all your cookies before actually taking out a policy to ensure your cashback tracks

Original Poster Banned

just got a quote from gocompare,
    650 is cheapest one from magic quote, never heard of them.
    its not a bad price.
    going to ring up esure now if they r open i will let you know what results i get

£650 is pretty expensive for a micra,it's a low group,you need to try adding yourself as a second driver on the policy even if you never drive it it can make the policy cheaper

Original Poster Banned

esure are closed, so its monday now.

i suppose i got a bit more time to research the micra.
    if they are too expensive to swap micra to zafira, can i cancel or do i have to wait till jan again?

thats good advice regarding quidco and cookies. i bought something a while ago from Play, but i didnt get the quidco, probably related to cookies.

Original Poster Banned

grabbit;8280130

£650 is pretty expensive for a micra,it's a low group,you need to try … £650 is pretty expensive for a micra,it's a low group,you need to try adding yourself as a second driver on the policy even if you never drive it it can make the policy cheaper

oh, ok i will try that boss.

Original Poster Banned

gocompare, does not give me an option to add additional driver details or maybe i am looking in the wrong place. will keep at it.

Original Poster Banned

found it.

HomeEducation;8280164

oh, ok i will try that boss.

Lol.

Yes,you can cancel the policy you have now and take out 2 new ones but you'll be penalised and wont get full value of the unused period back in your refund

Original Poster Banned

lol, did what you said and it went up to 800

Original Poster Banned

by the way, all this time, it has been coming up with £0 for voluntary excess, and £1500 for compulsory excess. will attach screenshot. am getting a serious headache, i think its time for another cup of tea. maybe i should sell the zafira and buy an imac quad core i7 with 8gb ram for £2k; and make do with one car.

Original Poster Banned

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3154/insurance.jpg

I can't understand why it's coming out so expensive for a micra,is it a young driver? Or are their convictions or something?

Plus the compulsory excess is mad too on the best quote

Original Poster Banned

She is 30 :oops:, getting old. No convictions.

I have to admit I'm similarly puzzled by the quotes - I'm under 30 and was getting lower quotes for a Jag XKR, in fact I was getting under 800 for both my current car (group 13) and a Lancer Evo VIII (group 20). Have Admiral/Elephant taken themselves off price comparison sites or are they just not on that one?

John

HomeEducation;8280591

She is 30 :oops:, getting old. No convictions.

OOOh no!! don't say that,lol

Johnmcl7;8280600

I have to admit I'm similarly puzzled by the quotes - I'm under 30 and … I have to admit I'm similarly puzzled by the quotes - I'm under 30 and was getting lower quotes for a Jag XKR, in fact I was getting under 800 for both my current car (group 13) and a Lancer Evo VIII (group 20). Have Admiral/Elephant taken themselves off price comparison sites or are they just not on that one?John

Glad someone's in agreement,there has to be something amiss with those sort of quotes,it cant be correct surely,

Are you doing 3rd party,fire & theft?

Mine was only £700ish with 2 young drivers on it but full no claims,other one with just myself on it was £200 1st time insurance

No, my quotes were fully comprehensive although where I live is a 'good area' so the insurance companies don't go hard on the quotes. I'm assuming the OP must be in an area insurance companies don't like as I have friends near Manchester who seem to get hit hard for insurance.

HomeEducaton: What are the quotes on the previous page for, insuring the Zafira?

John

Original Poster Banned

Am out at the moment. Will update you guys later. Been doing comprehensive. Will try diff postcode

HomeEducation;8280154

esure are closed, so its monday now.

You do realise that it is Easter, and Monday is a Bank Holiday.;-)

Original Poster Banned

Inactive;8282574

You do realise that it is Easter, and Monday is a Bank Holiday.;-)

Easter? What's that?

Will check on Tuesday then.

Original Poster Banned

Just an update and thank you to grabbit, kidcat and john for all your useful comments and help.
    i rang up esure today and said i have changed my car to the zafira, he charged me £150 plus £27 for greenflag. so my 5 years NCB has gone over to the new car. This left the micra uninsured. The best quote I could find (after many hours of research) was £800 for the Mrs. I suppose like you guys said it is a lot but the excess is £350 as opposed to the quotes of £650-£750 that I got which the excess being £1500, lol.
    Now my next mission is to get a Bluetooth Wireless system fitted into the car, so I can use the Ipod with it. I will start another post for this.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine11
      2. Win a Mazona Olympus 8kW multi-fuel stove @ Gr8 Fires33
      3. Jazz apple slicer for the price of a stamp33
      4. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains55

See more discussions