Groups

Advice needed on data recovery please.

I'm in a bit of a pickle and need some help please.

I bought a Toshiba 1tb external HDD and have about 250GB of images and music stored on it.

Then yesterday disaster struck, instead of a steady blue light I get a flashing blue/red one.

It doesn't make any noise and the computer won't find it.

I presume it is k - nacked.

Please can anyone help with ideas for data recovery.

I have heard putting them in the freezer or banging them on desk may do it - but these sound old wives tale-ish.

Thankfully I have the images stored elsewhere so it isn't a tragedy but I'd like to get some stuff off there.

Can anyone recommend a data recovery firm that may do the job?

cheers

6 Comments

It may be the interface connection between the hard drive and the holder thats loose. Open it up and make sure the hard drive is firmly in place first before you go doing wacky things like putting it in a freezer!!!

It sounds like the enclosure itself is broken - If you want to access the data on the drive, you could buy another enclosure and put the HDD into it.

Or if you urgently need it, put the hard drive into your computer as a slave drive and access the data that way.

DragonChris;6740774

It sounds like the enclosure itself is broken - If you want to access the … It sounds like the enclosure itself is broken - If you want to access the data on the drive, you could buy another enclosure and put the HDD into it.Or if you urgently need it, put the hard drive into your computer as a slave drive and access the data that way.

+1

It sounds like the enclosure itself is broken - If you want to access the … It sounds like the enclosure itself is broken - If you want to access the data on the drive, you could buy another enclosure and put the HDD into it.Or if you urgently need it, put the hard drive into your computer as a slave drive and access the data that way.

Can't agree more with this - either of these plans won't do any damage even if it doesn't work - worst case your back to where you are now but putting it in the freezer or banging it on the desk is more likely to do more danage than good - I guess you could try these just before binning it in case but I'd try everything else first.

Original Poster

Thanks peeps, unfortuately I'm a complete ludite and the idea of removing drive a. and inserting it into drive slot b. is completely above me.

I may need to consult an oracle or at leas a local PC repair man.

Will taking the drive out invalidate my warranty? Toshiba say I can send it back for a replacement?

Thanks

neilc;6740858

Thanks peeps, unfortuately I'm a complete ludite and the idea of removing … Thanks peeps, unfortuately I'm a complete ludite and the idea of removing drive a. and inserting it into drive slot b. is completely above me.I may need to consult an oracle or at least a local PC repair man.Will taking the drive out invalidate my warranty? Toshiba say I can send it back for a replacement?Thanks

It really isn't hard, plenty of online guides etc.

I would ask Toshiba if you will get the original hard drive back from them if you send it to them, or even ask if taking the drive out to back up important data will invalidate the warranty. I personally would take it out anyway (being careful to make it look like I had never touched it), back up my stuff, delete it off then send it back

A quick google search or YouTube will show you exactly how to remove a hard drive from an external enclosure, and show you how to fit a hard drive into your PC.

Good luck!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions