Advice needed on ebay sale

Posted 24th Mar
Hiya. I hope someone can help with this.

Recently sold a brand new iPhone that I initially bought from Amazon. I listed the phone as having 12 months warranty. As most (if not all) people know, Apple warranty starts from the time the device is registered and activated.

Buyer sent a message saying he contacted Apple and when he gave them the serial number they said it was of warranty. He mentioned he hadn’t opened the phone and that he wanted to return for a refund. Alarm bells start ringing now as this is impossible.

Checking on the Apple Coverage website, it clearly states the device hasn’t been registered yet. Sent a reply back to the buyer showing this.

My question is, as a private seller, will ebay force me to accept a return if I have proof that item is exactly as described?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Don’t buy or sell phones on eBay. Rarely goes to plan. Too many scammers out there. Ebay and PayPal always side with the buyer too making it so much easier for them to rip sellers off. Between their fees, PayPal’s fees and dishonest folk I tend to stay well clear. I sell on other platforms for cash only and meet in open public areas so that I know I am safe and people don’t have my address. I always carry a note checking pen with me too.
13 Comments
From experience Ebay will probably side with the buyer so you will have to accept the return. Let's hope it's still sealed and that the serials match (I take it you noted that already) when you get it back. Only then I would process the refund.
Waddayawant24/03/2020 23:05

From experience Ebay will probably side with the buyer so you will have to …From experience Ebay will probably side with the buyer so you will have to accept the return. Let's hope it's still sealed and that the serials match (I take it you noted that already) when you get it back. Only then I would process the refund.

You’re kidding right? That sucks.

I’m going to call ebay tomorrow and see what they say. When a similar thing happened to my brother, he called them up and they requested he accept the return but said that when he resold it, any difference in value would be covered by them.

I hate when buyers either have buyers remorse so make up a defect or they try to scam you and send back a different product. I’m just hoping the same thing doesn’t happen here.

Ahhh. I needed that money. I’m hoping it’ll be in my favour. I’ll keep this updated.
Edited by: "Phataphobic" 24th Mar
Like your brother it too happened to me I had to accept a return but luckily it was my item (I even marked it with a UV pen for security). I think I sold it on cex or some other place after that for similar money. What was his feedback like?
Waddayawant24/03/2020 23:13

Like your brother it too happened to me I had to accept a return but …Like your brother it too happened to me I had to accept a return but luckily it was my item (I even marked it with a UV pen for security). I think I sold it on cex or some other place after that for similar money. What was his feedback like?

Good feedback. Just under 100, so not high, but reviews on his feedback were good.

I’m hoping it’s a misunderstanding on his part if he did in fact contact Apple and they said this (as based on his message, English doesn’t appear to be his first language). I think I’ll send screenshots of the Apple Coverage website so he can see for himself.
Okay let us know how you get on good luck!
Phataphobic24/03/2020 23:09

You’re kidding right? That sucks. I’m going to call ebay tomorrow and see w …You’re kidding right? That sucks. I’m going to call ebay tomorrow and see what they say. When a similar thing happened to my brother, he called them up and they requested he accept the return but said that when he resold it, any difference in value would be covered by them. I hate when buyers either have buyers remorse so make up a defect or they try to scam you and send back a different product. I’m just hoping the same thing doesn’t happen here.Ahhh. I needed that money. I’m hoping it’ll be in my favour. I’ll keep this updated.

Ebay phone support is shut down for the time being.
Don’t buy or sell phones on eBay. Rarely goes to plan. Too many scammers out there. Ebay and PayPal always side with the buyer too making it so much easier for them to rip sellers off. Between their fees, PayPal’s fees and dishonest folk I tend to stay well clear. I sell on other platforms for cash only and meet in open public areas so that I know I am safe and people don’t have my address. I always carry a note checking pen with me too.
Accept the return, do NOT risk a dispute and the potential to lose the phone and the money. When the package arrives get someone to video you opening the box. I've sold a few new phones on ebay without issue.
Waddayawant24/03/2020 23:05

From experience Ebay will probably side with the buyer so you will have to …From experience Ebay will probably side with the buyer so you will have to accept the return. Let's hope it's still sealed and that the serials match (I take it you noted that already) when you get it back. Only then I would process the refund.

The refund is processed when the tracking shows it's been delivered, you cannot withhold a refund.
Whats betting the item returned is notan iPhone but a package matching the size/weight? Hope you have a record of the IMEI so as you can get it blocked.
harlzter25/03/2020 13:46

Whats betting the item returned is notan iPhone but a package matching the …Whats betting the item returned is notan iPhone but a package matching the size/weight? Hope you have a record of the IMEI so as you can get it blocked.

Yup. Took a picture of the back of the box with the serial number and IMEI number shown. I told the buyer to just return it as he ended up showing his true colours after trying to get a significant partial refund when he already bought the phone at a bargain price. I hate buyers like that.

I’ll take the advice someone said about recording opening the package. I told him to return it in it’s original form so we’ll see whether it has been unsealed or not.
Phataphobic25/03/2020 17:03

Yup. Took a picture of the back of the box with the serial number and IMEI …Yup. Took a picture of the back of the box with the serial number and IMEI number shown. I told the buyer to just return it as he ended up showing his true colours after trying to get a significant partial refund when he already bought the phone at a bargain price. I hate buyers like that. I’ll take the advice someone said about recording opening the package. I told him to return it in it’s original form so we’ll see whether it has been unsealed or not.

When I’ve sold phones on eBay (usually for family in laws) I’ve taken pictures of the box and matching IMEI on the phone screen and emailed the seller to ensure no misunderstanding. Remember on the sim drawer there a an IMEI number on that too , so make sure they all match
Just an update, buyer returned the phone and thankfully it’s in the same exact condition as it was sent. I did have to unseal it to make sure the phone wasn’t switched with a different one so lost value when I resell it.

However, I was fortunate enough to get an offer from a family member for a higher amount that he needs for work, so worked out in the end.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants