Groups
    EXPIRED

Advice needed on tv choice!

I can't make my mind up on which tv to buy, i have narrowed it down to these:
    Toshiba 32AV615 32" HD Ready Digital LCD TV
    Samsung LE32B450C4W 32" HD Digital LCD TV
    Nordmende NU325LD 32" HD Ready Digital LCD TV
    Toshiba 32 AV554DB LCD HD TV
    All the above are 32"
    Panasonic TX-P42C10B 42" HD Ready 100HZ this one is a 42"
    Could someone also explain the difference between HD ready and HD.
    Thanks

6 Comments

Original Poster

Sorry forgot to mention going to buy from CDiscount so need advice asap.

:thumbsup:hd ready means it wil only display upto 1368x768, full hd is 1920x1024 i think, but this means the quality is far superior you will only get upto 1080i display on hd ready, full hd you will also get 1080p the best that there currently is, i would go for a good make i have got 2 x 40" sony bravia's one is hd ready and other is full hd not much difference,brilliant picture

I have not had any experience of the above TVs so cannot comment on blackness levels or color and gray scale banding. I will leave recommendation to others who may have had experience of these models.

With regards to HD and HD Ready, here is a quick summary.

HD is a loosely defined term to describe a picture that is higher than standard definition (SD). Since SD is also loosely defined it is not easy to quantify what picture is deemed to be HD. Some specify a PAL resolution of 576 vertical lines to be the yardstick for standard resolution. Effectively, HD is NOT a standard and there is no body that sets any standards on how HD is to be defined.

HD Ready, by contrast, is a standard and is defined by the body EICTA. HD Ready must specify a minimum of 720 vertical pixels, supports HDCP decoding for playback of HDCP encryped feeds and also carries inputs that encapsulates HDCP decoding (such as HDMI inputs with HDCP, DVI inputs with HDCP, Displayport with HDCP).

HD Ready 1080P is also set out by EICTA and is a superset of HD Ready. The specifications add 1080P and one to one pixel mapping to the data sheets of HD Ready.

NOTE: Full HD is also very loosely defined and is NOT standardised. A TV that is described as Full HD may not be suitable for blu ray playback. In fact, since Full HD is NOT a definition, it can mean anything, although a lot of consumers mistakenly believe it to mean the same as HD Ready 1080P.

Original Poster

So would it be better to get hd or hd ready?

storey26;5312459

So would it be better to get hd or hd ready?

As I said earlier:

HD Ready, by contrast, is a standard and is defined by the body EICTA. HD … HD Ready, by contrast, is a standard and is defined by the body EICTA. HD Ready must specify a minimum of 720 vertical pixels, supports HDCP decoding for playback of HDCP encryped feeds and also carries inputs that encapsulates HDCP decoding (such as HDMI inputs with HDCP, DVI inputs with HDCP, Displayport with HDCP).

Surely that answers your question! One is a standard and is strongly defined. The other is not a standard and can mean anything.

Can I just say, I have a sony Bravia HD Ready and the picture is perfect, my mate has a 1080p Panasonic and to be honest I can't tell the difference. I think the colour is also better on the Sonys. So IMHO save yourself a few quid and get a decent HD Ready. I may be wrong but I think my HD Ready Sony Bravia is 720p as opposed to the HD which is 1080p.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Led light bulbs. Never used them, what do I need to know?58
      2. Laptop advice needed please - cheap, fast (to boot), no thrills22
      3. Localphone VOIP long distance app broken (not ios11 compatible)11
      4. Iphone 7 - What Case?23

See more discussions