advice needed please - i want to connect my pc to my tv,

Found 14th Jan 2010
BUT no hdmi or dvi on the pc. only hdmi on the tv. dont want to use rgb type cables as i have been told piture quality is poor. my pc is about 4 - 5yrs old, tv is philips flatscreen HD ready (1080). 18 months old.

is my pc too old? if so any info on what i should be looking out for? or any deals that would suit me? would be greatly appreciated, thanks. i want it to watch: internet footy / youtube / downloaded films etc. rep for helpfull answers, thanks again.

16 Comments

youtube had a video on this

Does your TV have a VGA connector? Most with HDMI do

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/SVGA_port.jpg/800px-SVGA_port.jpg

Fit a graphics card with HDMI,

buy a new PC - 5 years old is soooo old.

get one with HDMI/ dvi and optical audio out.

much easier - and will probably cost about £500 for 4gb ram, Intel Quad Core 2.6ghz or something

I use a Zyxel DMA1000 Media player, it was available from Scan.co.uk for around £30 delivered.

It connects to your TV through a scart connection or HDMI (it will upscale I think. Your computer connects to it via a crossover cable (supplied) and use the supplied media server software and it reads all of your movies, music and photos. I read on some forum some where that you can stream videos from the web, but I haven't managed it. It can also connect to your network via home plugs or cable (supplied).

Original Poster

pugw$sh;7542863

I use a Zyxel DMA1000 Media player, it was available from Scan.co.uk for … I use a Zyxel DMA1000 Media player, it was available from Scan.co.uk for around £30 delivered. It connects to your TV through a scart connection or HDMI (it will upscale I think. Your computer connects to it via a crossover cable (supplied) and use the supplied media server software and it reads all of your movies, music and photos. I read on some forum some where that you can stream videos from the web, but I haven't managed it. It can also connect to your network via home plugs or cable (supplied).

wanderer;7542874

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Internet-Streamer-Television/dp/B002LZUHMIthere you go sensible answerhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/DMA-1000-Digital-Streamer-Definition-composite/dp/B00156ABNEzyxcel

what is the difference? they look like they do the same thing !
it looks like they both play all pc located media. would i be able to download internet footy for about, say, 20 mins (to let it buffer), and then start watching it (in HD) on the telly?

thanks to all for your help so far

Original Poster

Tillboy;7542808

Does your TV have a VGA connector? Most with HDMI do sadly not, but … Does your TV have a VGA connector? Most with HDMI do sadly not, but thanks for the suggestion.

sadly not on tv, but thanks for the suggestion.

tonyg1962;7542826

Fit a graphics card with HDMI,

i was considering this , but was told that i may need to upgrade power in the pc?

ken-doh;7542846

buy a new PC - 5 years old is soooo old.get one with HDMI/ dvi and … buy a new PC - 5 years old is soooo old.get one with HDMI/ dvi and optical audio out.much easier - and will probably cost about £500 for 4gb ram, Intel Quad Core 2.6ghz or something

if only i had £500, thanks anyway.

dcx_badass;7542858

Most TV's have a VGA connector, and your PC will have one.

sadly not, but thanks for the suggestion

If youre not playing games then you can get a really low powered graphics card that may not need a new PSU,

Original Poster

tonyg1962;7543358

If youre not playing games then you can get a really low powered graphics … If youre not playing games then you can get a really low powered graphics card that may not need a new PSU,

thanks, i dont play games on pc, any suggestions?

heada;7543157

what is the difference? they look like they do the same thing !it looks … what is the difference? they look like they do the same thing !it looks like they both play all pc located media. would i be able to download internet footy for about, say, 20 mins (to let it buffer), and then start watching it (in HD) on the telly?thanks to all for your help so far

The Zyxel player is limited when it comes to playing files, it won't support mkv files, but it does support DivX and wmv.

I'm not sure about the buffered footy, I've never tried it.

heada;7543441

thanks, i dont play games on pc, any suggestions?

Need to know if youre PC is AGP or PCIE graphics,

Even if AGP you could easily get a cheap graphics card for a few quid that has dvi and you can just use a dvi to hdmi convertor on the slot on the card sound output may be an issue though as if the hdmi input on the tv doesnt have red and white phono for sound as well you wont get sound unless you get a modern ati card.

Original Poster

tonyg1962;7543908

Need to know if youre PC is AGP or PCIE graphics,

graphics card is Nvidia ge-force 6100 pci-e does that help?

edit: what or where are mkv files used for,and would it be a problem, if i got the machine that does not play them, are they a common format? are they becoming more common or are they a flash in the pan? thanks again for the help.

This would do you if you dont play games
aria.co.uk/Pro…477

Original Poster

THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP! - a few options there, cheers to you all.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…4176
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247616
    3. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…46
    4. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3275

See more discussions