Advice needed regarding royal mail package/stolen/missing contents.

Found 2nd Jan 2007
I recently sent a package containing an mp3 player,a handful of discs and 2 xmas cards.The package never arrived after 7 days.Then my Brother in law (the recipient gets a card through his door from royal mail asking for payment for unstamped post.He goes to the local sorting office (Ilford) and it inly turns out to be the xmas cards that were posted INSIDE my parcel.Some barsteward has nicked the presents and then put the unstamped enevelopes back in the post.So to add insult to injury they were asking him for about £2.50 to get these xmas cards (2 days after xmas).So he told them to keep them.
The question is how do i stand,regarding compensation etc. I got a receipt for proof of posting,but didn't do recorded delivery or pay any insurance.etc.
It appears to be a clear case of theft by someone working for royal mail,but how can i prove that i didn't send the cards in unstamped envelopes and that the package never arrived.Any help much appreciated.:santa:

32 Comments

All Items are covered for £32 but that's it. You could claim that, but no more

Perhaps report it to the police as theft too. Not likely they can do a lot about it though hmm..

Good luck with it mate - sounds like a dishonest Royal Mail worker. Tell Royal Mail, although they may not directly compensate you for it, they may investigate and catch the jackass who stole the items (IF they work for RM that is).

Your B.I.L should pick the items up. Then you can see if the stamps had fallen off or see what 'damage' was done to it.
On your CoP did it have the weight on it? Most do.
Mail Fraud/Theft is a very serious offence.
You could call R/M CS on 08457 740740 and speak to them or fill in a P58. You can get a P58 from the P/O or download one from the R/M website. A claim takes about four weeks at the moment.

The R/M employ a lot of 'casuals' at Christmas.

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice guys.
Matt,when you say all items are covered for £32 to whom are you referring to for the cover,as you go on to say that RM may not directly compensate me.
Steve,What is the B.I.L. and how will it pick the item up.The weight is showing as 0.480kg on my receipt.
Will give the number a ring and see what they say.
Thanks again.

B.I.L = Bro. In Law :p?

When I say not directly compensate, I meant kinda, they won't pay the full value of the items back to you, but may try catch the robber. Perhaps I used the wrong words! ahhhhh. Sometimes I don't make sense :-D

How ever, all mail is covered up the the value of £32, unless you take out extra options (Recorded Delivery etc), in this case, you didn't :-(

Brother In-Law.
Did you pay £1.70 postage? That is what 480g comes to on the R/M website:-
]http//sg…532

R/M charge £1.00 (may be £1.10 now) admin fee when you undercharge so that means you should be able to work out the missing weight, or at least Customer Services should be able to.

You will get a maximum of £32.00 compensation.

Original Poster

MattC

B.I.L = Bro. In Law :p?

Doh.:oops:

MattC

When I say not directly compensate, I meant kinda, they won't pay the … When I say not directly compensate, I meant kinda, they won't pay the full value of the items back to you, but may try catch the robber. Perhaps I used the wrong words! ahhhhh. Sometimes I don't make sense :-DHow ever, all mail is covered up the the value of £32, unless you take out extra options (Recorded Delivery etc), in this case, you didn't :-(

Thanks for explaining.Steve,my BIL saw the envelopes at the depot.They were,as i placed them,in the package,addressed to him,but no stamps on them,because they were placed inside the parcel.They were the only remains of the parcel.The other contents as well as the original packaging were all missing.

Original Poster

dinosteveus

Brother In-Law.Did you pay £1.70 postage? That is what 480g comes to on … Brother In-Law.Did you pay £1.70 postage? That is what 480g comes to on the R/M website:-]http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinderResults?pageId=pc_sltc_rm_results&keyname=rmPriceFinderResults&catId=23500532R/M charge £1.00 (may be £1.10 now) admin fee when you undercharge so that means you should be able to work out the missing weight, or at least Customer Services should be able to.You will get a maximum of £32.00 compensation.

That is exactly what i paid steve.I did not underpay.The money they wanted was for the enevlopes that had been removed from the package and put back in the mail.

Oooops, I never mentioned this:-
You[COLOR=red] CANNOT[/COLOR] buy insurance for First and Second class post.
[COLOR=black][/COLOR]
You are confusing me now. You put some things in a box/jiffy bag and took it to the Post Office. They charged you how much? £1.70?? Your BIL receives a card from posties to pay extra, he turns up and only the cards are left in the package/jiffy bag. Is this right???

Hang on, TWO Christmas cards. That should be a £2.00 admin fee in total.

Original Poster

dinosteveus

Oooops, I never mentioned this:-You[COLOR=red] CANNOT[/COLOR] buy … Oooops, I never mentioned this:-You[COLOR=red] CANNOT[/COLOR] buy insurance for First and Second class post.You are confusing me now. You put some things in a box/jiffy bag and took it to the Post Office. They charged you how much? £1.70?? Your BIL receives a card from posties to pay extra, he turns up and only the cards are left in the package/jiffy bag. Is this right???

Basically that is correct,except that the cards were the only things left of the package.All the packaging was missing along with the rest of its contents.Luckily i had also put his address on the cards envelopes which were placed inside the package.

So...

Original Package:
* Jiffy Bag/Wrapping
* 2 cards
* CDs
* MP3 Player
* Weight of 480g, paid £1.70 to post.
* Maximum compensation of £32.

What arrived:
* No MP3 player, CDs, or the Jiffy Bag/Packaging they were sent in.
* Cards arrived. But it was just the cards, no sign of the rest.

Just to sum that up for Steve and anyone esle who can help, lol.

Original Poster

dinosteveus

Hang on, TWO Christmas cards. That should be a £2.00 admin fee in total.

This is the email my BIL sent me,when he got the notes through his door from RM.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Got 2 notes through the door from Royal Mail today - "Can't deliver your item because theres a fee to pay". Went to the delivery office and they produced 2 red envelopes with no stamps on. Obviously the Xmas cards from you. No package with them. So some ****'s had the package and slung the envelopes. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Didn't pay the money (£2.46) so the envelopes are still at the office.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Original Poster

duckmagicuk2

So...Original Package:* Jiffy Bag/Wrapping* 2 cards* CDs* MP3 Player* … So...Original Package:* Jiffy Bag/Wrapping* 2 cards* CDs* MP3 Player* Weight of 480g, paid £1.70 to post.* Maximum compensation of £32.What arrived:* No MP3 player, CDs, or the Jiffy Bag/Packaging they were sent in.* Cards arrived. But it was just the cards, no sign of the rest.Just to sum that up for Steve and anyone esle who can help, lol.

Thanks ducky.

[SIZE=2]Had the cards been taken out of the jiffy bag/box?[/SIZE]

I see. *lightbulb moment*

You have been charged £1.00 admin fee on each card and 23p second class postage. £2.46.

I would just fill in a P58 and get your £32.00. IMO, that will be the easiest way.

It wasn't me being dim, it was the £2.50 he had to pay. If you had said £2.46 I would have got there quicker.

Original Poster

Just rang them,(after listening to message after message for ever) and basically,they said: ''fill in the form and we will look into it,please send proof of purchase for the missing items''.Should i inform the police,i asked as it's obviously a case of theft.......''It is entirely up to you sir,we can't advise on such matters''.

I would just fill in a P58, I think this will be the quickest route and less hassle. You will get £32.00 because they cannot show it as being delivered.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the help guys.I will fill in the form and let you know how i get on. (in about a month i should think,if i'm lucky):thumbsup:
Rep given to you all.

I sympathise bazr...I had 4 Xmas cards that failed to deliver ..particularly annoying as some had letters...seems to me that casual postpersons may sense that an envelope contains more than a card (A letter would add a little bulk) and maybe nick it.

Just hope you are successful with your compensation claim....boro did well yesterday so some cheer!

Original Poster

currychops

....boro did well yesterday so some cheer!

Good result,but still dodgy football.Most of the young home grown boro lads wear their heart on their sleeves,wish i could say the same for some of the imports.

Not quite as annoying as one of my neighbours' problems.

He picked up a card whichhad no stamp in it, had to pay the admin fee + postage and when he opened it it was just a blank card. Someone had sent it, written his name and address on the envelope and stuff, but no actual mention who it was from or anything.

:roll:

Bazr - they normally take about 10-14 days to get back to you after you've submitted form to post office.

Good luck with your claim!

Bazr - RM will probably contact your BIL to see if he has received anything - and ask him to also sign a disclaimer. This is what has happened to me in the past when I have lodged a claim.

Original Poster

Thanks for the further helpful info guys.:thumbsup:

A postmaster advised me to never ever send anything that looks like a birthday card. The reason being that lowlife will guess that there might be a bank-note inside. A former colleague sent his sister a £20 note in a birthday card but the card never arrived. It was only going six miles from Plymouth to Plympton! The culprit was most likely the Sorting Office Manager who allegedly was infamous for being very interested in birthday cards which he liked to sort by himself. According to the papers he got sacked and jailed! I seem to recollect that he had a gambling problem. Take care!

I remember this thread was it really 9 years ago.oO

Original Poster

LOL It's that long ago, i can't even remember if i got compo, don't think i did.

Edited by: "bazr" 1st Jun 2016

Kudos that you are both still active here
'bow my head'

How things have changed in 9 years. This site was nothing like it is now oO

Kudos that you are both still active here'bow my head'

Thanks.
HUKD has come a long way since this thread was started. Loads of decent new members and the amount of money spent and saved beggers believe.

Original Poster

Kudos that you are both still active here'bow my head'

Thank you, still visit the site every day, it would be wrong not to.:D
It's been a pleasure to watch the site develop and bring in new blood since it's foundation days.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Microsoft Surface Pro - reviews/comments/alternatives!11
    2. Why Can't I Get BT Showcase on Freeview?34
    3. Typical cost of boiler installation22
    4. I’m in dire need of a dash cam with remote viewing capability over 4G915

See more discussions