Groups

Advice needed - Which netbook?

Hallo.

I am looking to buy my wife a netbook for our anniversary.

She really only uses it for youtube (most of all), MSN messenger, facebook, hotmail (so internet stuff) and occasionally plays some minor games (like Gamehouse stuff) and rarely though needs to have Microsoft Word.

She is also quite accustomed to Windows XP. I guess she could get used to Windows 7 (if need be) but not Ubuntu or Linux.

I'm not sure what spec I need. HDD doesn't need to be huge, 20gb or so would probably be ample. I do think 1gb RAM is essential though as well as Wifi and 6-cell battery. I'm not too concerned with 10 inch or 8 inch unless someone has any recommendations either way.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Are Samsungs really that much better than say, Acer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I must add, I'm not in a big rush. Our anniversary is in December which is when I want it for. I am also looking to spend around the £200 mark.

21 Comments

Samsungs have a great battery life. The NC10 is a great netbook.

my sis has the larger version of the aspire one - it's very useable with the big screen and kepboard seems canny

i have he originla 8.9 inch version and mine is great, though resolution lower than sis's.

just try them out - that s the best way

Original Poster

Syzable;6777943

Samsungs have a great battery life. The NC10 is a great netbook.

Also quite dear. Is there anything cheaper that is as good or even a higher spec for what i want?

Original Poster

scrumpypaul;6777965

my sis has the larger version of the aspire one - it's very useable with … my sis has the larger version of the aspire one - it's very useable with the big screen and kepboard seems cannyi have he originla 8.9 inch version and mine is great, though resolution lower than sis's.just try them out - that s the best way

Could you possibly link me to one with a suitable spec, or advise as to what spec I'd need?

AV1985;6777966

Also quite dear. Is there anything cheaper that is as good or even a … Also quite dear. Is there anything cheaper that is as good or even a higher spec for what i want?

The Aspire One series should be more than enough for her needs and a lot cheaper.

Although the Samsung's really are good, if it's not going to be a used all the time thing it's not worth the extra.

Original Poster

Syzable;6777986

The Aspire One series should be more than enough for her needs and a lot … The Aspire One series should be more than enough for her needs and a lot cheaper. :)Although the Samsung's really are good, if it's not going to be a used all the time thing it's not worth the extra.

She'll probably use it most days but really the regular usage is going to be youtube, MSN messenger, facebook and hotmail, all via a wireless connection. I don't want one which will get stuck for ages on trying to load IE!!

I'll check out the Acer Aspire Ones. Thanks.

Original Poster

This one seemed decent, though only a 3-cell battery. Any thoughts from anyone?

hotukdeals.com/ite…-at

AV1985;6778071

This one seemed decent, though only a 3-cell battery. Any thoughts from … This one seemed decent, though only a 3-cell battery. Any thoughts from anyone?http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/513514/acer-aspire-one-d150-1bb-netbook-at

That would be fine for what she wants to do. You could double the memory yourself for around £20. The only downside is the battery which would be good for about 2 hours normal use. However you could buy a 9 cell yourself later if she finds it's not good enough.

Original Poster

Syzable;6778147

That would be fine for what she wants to do. You could double the memory … That would be fine for what she wants to do. You could double the memory yourself for around £20. The only downside is the battery which would be good for about 2 hours normal use. However you could buy a 9 cell yourself later if she finds it's not good enough.

So you reckon those specs are good enough to run youtube and the such without any lag, jerking or general computer seizure (!)? The last thing I want is for it to take ages to load up IE and then ages to load up youtube before jerking on each scene as it streams...

I got mine from the acer direct factory site, said it was reconditioned but looked brand new to me, it was a steal at about 120d quid. check out [url]www.browserlinux.com[/url] has a linux puppy operating system with built in flash and firefox browser runs in less than 79mb and tkes less than 5 mins to install,complete replaces the acer system or you can boot of a small memory stick,i use it all the time very fast,you can also download the wine emultor so u can run windows software.works on most pcs not just aspire

AV1985;6778167

So you reckon those specs are good enough to run youtube and the such … So you reckon those specs are good enough to run youtube and the such without any lag, jerking or general computer seizure (!)? The last thing I want is for it to take ages to load up IE and then ages to load up youtube before jerking on each scene as it streams...

Yes, the only thing that would cause any lag etc would be the connection. You can run most things like youtube on low spec machines so this would be plenty.

Also put firefox on for her.........much better than IE.

[FONT=Verdana]I've posted in a link to a deal, posted on HotUKDeals, for you to consider (it's on your other advice thread that you've created.

Samsung NC130 Netbook
    hotukdeals.com/ite…t=9

It pretty much matches your requirements from what I can see.

Cheers, Scotty Boy!
    [/FONT]

Though I wouldn't buy one myself, this netbook works on WindowsCE and will do the internet, Word, Excell, and powerpoint. viking-direct.co.uk/cat…00R and should be around £116.00

Ive got the MSi wind u100 its fab does everthing you want and more! Love the fact its got Bluetooth as it saves so much time. I know argos are doing some good deals my one was £199 gutted as i paid £249 at ebuyer! oh well its fab anyway especially coz it pink!

Predikuesi;6778558

Though I wouldn't buy one myself, this netbook works on WindowsCE and … Though I wouldn't buy one myself, this netbook works on WindowsCE and will do the internet, Word, Excell, and powerpoint. http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/catalog/catalogSku.do?pr=Q2N&id=T3000R and should be around £116.00

[FONT=Verdana]Ironically enough that one is listed on the OP's other advice thread and you can get that from HMV for £99.00p.

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Original Poster

mummymelly;6778949

Ive got the MSi wind u100 its fab does everthing you want and more! Love … Ive got the MSi wind u100 its fab does everthing you want and more! Love the fact its got Bluetooth as it saves so much time. I know argos are doing some good deals my one was £199 gutted as i paid £249 at ebuyer! oh well its fab anyway especially coz it pink!

Sounds good, got a link?

The NC10 is now £250 @ ebuyer, and its worth the extra £50 out of your budget!
    If i was getting a netbook, I would not go any lower than the NC10, its simply the best!

Original Poster

mummymelly;6778949

Ive got the MSi wind u100 its fab does everthing you want and more! Love … Ive got the MSi wind u100 its fab does everthing you want and more! Love the fact its got Bluetooth as it saves so much time. I know argos are doing some good deals my one was £199 gutted as i paid £249 at ebuyer! oh well its fab anyway especially coz it pink!

Loving the look of this. It looks nicer than the Aspire and I reckon that spec wise, it's about the same?

Unless anyone disagrees?

Only advantage of the Samsung seems to be the battery which I could easily replace?

AV1985;6782854

Loving the look of this. It looks nicer than the Aspire and I reckon that … Loving the look of this. It looks nicer than the Aspire and I reckon that spec wise, it's about the same?Unless anyone disagrees?Only advantage of the Samsung seems to be the battery which I could easily replace?

[FONT=Verdana]You can replace the battery but you just need to ensure you purchase one from a reputable reseller in the UK - six cell batteries for the MSI Wind can be bought from a mixture of resellers within the UK (last time I looked you could buy them from Amazon UK Market Resellers).

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Original Poster

Scotty Boy;6783183

[FONT=Verdana]You can replace the battery but you just need to ensure you … [FONT=Verdana]You can replace the battery but you just need to ensure you purchase one from a reputable reseller in the UK - six cell batteries for the MSI Wind can be bought from a mixture of resellers within the UK (last time I looked you could buy them from Amazon UK Market Resellers).Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

May do if I need to then, thanks!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846180
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764241
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?31144
      4. Find out how good your GP surgery is67

See more discussions