Advice on a computer/laptop for 4k editing

Found 6th Aug 2017
hello everyone.

I have a DJI Magic Pro and would like a new Pc/Laptop capable of editing 4k video.

although I have a basic idea of what specs are needed I find myself confused by all the different types of processors and GPUs etc.

Now I'm not made of money and I would rather buy an off the shelf item instead of making a custom pc. I don't want any apple Mac's or whatever.

something around £1000 or maybe even a list of specs that would help me down the line if I end up having a bit more to spend.

I wanted an i7, 16gb Hp Spectre 360 but at £1900 it's a bit steep.

My sister's fella has a 5k iMac with specs of 8gb ram, 2gb GPU and an i5 processor. would a similar spec'd windows machine be able to do 4k or do Mac's utilise the hardware better?

Thanks in advance and be gentle. Computing has come a long way since I last bought one
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Amd threadripper is looking good for video encoding and editing at the moment.
Intel's Core i branding is only comparable among the same heat output. So the i7-7500U in a Spectre X360 is slower than the i5-7300HQ found in a larger laptop, and a similar speed to an lower end desktop processor like the Pentium G4600.

Intel's processors are pretty comparable to each other on the basis of core count and clock speed, although things like reduced cache or the presence of AVX/SMT can make a +-10% difference.

Although if you do end up with a desktop then AMD's processors are the way to go for easily threaded tasks right now.

kester7659 m ago

Amd threadripper is looking good for video encoding and editing at the …Amd threadripper is looking good for video encoding and editing at the moment.

An 1800X machine with plenty of ram and storage is at least £1k so the threadripper models are likely to be out of budget.
EndlessWaves30 m ago

Intel's Core i branding is only comparable among the same heat output. So …Intel's Core i branding is only comparable among the same heat output. So the i7-7500U in a Spectre X360 is slower than the i5-7300HQ found in a larger laptop, and a similar speed to an lower end desktop processor like the Pentium G4600.Intel's processors are pretty comparable to each other on the basis of core count and clock speed, although things like reduced cache or the presence of AVX/SMT can make a +-10% difference.Although if you do end up with a desktop then AMD's processors are the way to go for easily threaded tasks right now. An 1800X machine with plenty of ram and storage is at least £1k so the threadripper models are likely to be out of budget.

Oh yeah misread on the price whilst the threadripper is a lot more expensive it does seem to be the new standard for video maniplication.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves1 h, 17 m ago

Intel's Core i branding is only comparable among the same heat output. So …Intel's Core i branding is only comparable among the same heat output. So the i7-7500U in a Spectre X360 is slower than the i5-7300HQ found in a larger laptop, and a similar speed to an lower end desktop processor like the Pentium G4600.Intel's processors are pretty comparable to each other on the basis of core count and clock speed, although things like reduced cache or the presence of AVX/SMT can make a +-10% difference.Although if you do end up with a desktop then AMD's processors are the way to go for easily threaded tasks right now. An 1800X machine with plenty of ram and storage is at least £1k so the threadripper models are likely to be out of budget.

I think that is part of my confusion. I just assumed an i7 would be the best but I didn't know there are other factors to consider like you mentioned.

Sorry to pester you but would you have a link(s) to anything you could recommend. I'm happy to have a desktop or a small laptop (13" ideally)

Thanks for the reply
MrDB2 h, 54 m ago

I think that is part of my confusion. I just assumed an i7 would be the …I think that is part of my confusion. I just assumed an i7 would be the best but I didn't know there are other factors to consider like you mentioned.Sorry to pester you but would you have a link(s) to anything you could recommend. I'm happy to have a desktop or a small laptop (13" ideally)Thanks for the reply

I'm not into video stuff so I can't really judge what a sensible level of power is.

Although if the 7500U and 500GB of storage in the Spectre X360 is sufficient any desktop should be fine, you won't need to spend anything like £1000.
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.
If I'm not late, here's my opinion.

For around 1000£ you should go with:

*Ryzen 7 1700 (can be found for 300£, has 8 cores, 16 threads, and crushes multitasking scenarios)
*A decent B350 / X370 motherboard (usually within 110£ range, overclocking ability is a nice bonus if you ever go down that road, which you should)
*16gb of RAM (frequently found for around 80-100£, shouldn't go with any less for video editing. Try to get highest speed ram possible as Ryzen loves them. Preferably your lowest should be 2666/2800mhz)
*120gb SSD (if grabbed on a sale, can be found for 30-40£. Usually for your OS and important programs
*1/2TB HDD (depending on your needs, 1TB can be found for 30£ on sale, and 2TB was 50£ recently if I recall correctly)
*Nvidia GTX 1060 or AMD RX 580 (complete preferation, nothing else. They're usually equal in well optimized games. VRAM may be important for you however, so RX 580 may be better. DONT BUY REFERENCE CARDS! HEAT ISSUES FOR BOTH --- 300£ depending on the manufacturer)
* 600/650/750W PSU (don't cheap out, they're very crucial to what could happen if something happens. Buy from a reputable brand like Corsair, beQuiet, EVGA etc. around 70£)
*Case (personal favourite : NZXT S340, found for 50£ commonly)

Should cost you all about 1000£, more the less.
Keep in mind you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.
If you're not comfortable building it yourself, find someone locally, or ask a shop. It may cost 10-50£ depending on the person.
The OS may add external cost also.
The software may add external cost too if you don't have it.
Original Poster
NenoDealHunter37 m ago

If I'm not late, here's my opinion.For around 1000£ you should go …If I'm not late, here's my opinion.For around 1000£ you should go with:*Ryzen 7 1700 (can be found for 300£, has 8 cores, 16 threads, and crushes multitasking scenarios)*A decent B350 / X370 motherboard (usually within 110£ range, overclocking ability is a nice bonus if you ever go down that road, which you should)*16gb of RAM (frequently found for around 80-100£, shouldn't go with any less for video editing. Try to get highest speed ram possible as Ryzen loves them. Preferably your lowest should be 2666/2800mhz)*120gb SSD (if grabbed on a sale, can be found for 30-40£. Usually for your OS and important programs*1/2TB HDD (depending on your needs, 1TB can be found for 30£ on sale, and 2TB was 50£ recently if I recall correctly)*Nvidia GTX 1060 or AMD RX 580 (complete preferation, nothing else. They're usually equal in well optimized games. VRAM may be important for you however, so RX 580 may be better. DONT BUY REFERENCE CARDS! HEAT ISSUES FOR BOTH --- 300£ depending on the manufacturer)* 600/650/750W PSU (don't cheap out, they're very crucial to what could happen if something happens. Buy from a reputable brand like Corsair, beQuiet, EVGA etc. around 70£)*Case (personal favourite : NZXT S340, found for 50£ commonly)Should cost you all about 1000£, more the less.Keep in mind you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.If you're not comfortable building it yourself, find someone locally, or ask a shop. It may cost 10-50£ depending on the person.The OS may add external cost also.The software may add external cost too if you don't have it.

Wow. Super helpful. Thanks for the list.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions