Advice on a decent second-hand DSLR

Found 23rd Oct 2017
I want to treat myself to a new camera with a budget of c£300. I'd rather buy a good older model second hand than buy something inferior that's new. Can anyone advise what might be picked up around this price? Used to Lumix and Canon, but not bothered about make as long as it's decent. Mainly doing nature shots, kids, some macro...
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments
You can't go too wrong with an old top of the line Canon, E-bay has a 1D markII for less than £200(depending on other bidders of course) ebay.co.uk/itm…URt

My friend started out with a beat up version that was an ex-papparazzi camera, his shots (with good lenses) were a lot better than my newer Canon EOS 40D. He is now a professional wedding photographer, but he works hard for it and is a lot better than some seasoned pros out there.

Oh do check for the shutter count - I did see one that had taken over 190,000 shots and I think the sensor had a few spots visible on certain shots.
Edited by: "Bigfootpete" 23rd Oct 2017
Original Poster
Thanks for that. How much should I pay attention to resolution? That one is only 8.2MP. And any idea of cost of lenses for it?
When I was buying my first SLR a few years ago I went for Pentax. They were not talked about much in the mainstream but there was some good talk about them in the photography world. They can use all the old pentax lenses and from what I read, Pentax has quite a few good ones to choose from.

Sorry I can not recommend any specific camera/brand over another but I can recommend to consider Pentax as an option.
Look for a 2nd hand Canon 60D, which should be in your price range. Gumtree is a good bet.
Sambat9 h, 14 m ago

Look for a 2nd hand Canon 60D, which should be in your price range. …Look for a 2nd hand Canon 60D, which should be in your price range. Gumtree is a good bet.

Gumtree has a lot of fraud, I would only advise buying from there if you can collect.

somerset23rd Oct

Thanks for that. How much should I pay attention to resolution? That one …Thanks for that. How much should I pay attention to resolution? That one is only 8.2MP. And any idea of cost of lenses for it?

Don't forget to quote my comment otherwise I don't know you're replying to my post (unless I stumble upon it like I did).

Depends what you want to do with the photos, you'll only notice it if you need to enlarge a photo by a huge amount, you wont if you just want normal size photos.
You can use any standard Canon lenses, and Sigma or Tamron(Canon EF fit), although I would double check to see the fitment, some cameras only take a certain fitment, It's covered pretty well here
Bigfootpete4 h, 54 m ago

Gumtree has a lot of fraud, I would only advise buying from there if you …Gumtree has a lot of fraud, I would only advise buying from there if you can collect.Don't forget to quote my comment otherwise I don't know you're replying to my post (unless I stumble upon it like I did).Depends what you want to do with the photos, you'll only notice it if you need to enlarge a photo by a huge amount, you wont if you just want normal size photos. You can use any standard Canon lenses, and Sigma or Tamron(Canon EF fit), although I would double check to see the fitment, some cameras only take a certain fitment, It's covered pretty well here

I have you disagree with you on the megapixels point. 8MP is very little to work with these days. 8mp won't even fill a 4k display without being stretched, and things only get worse for the standard as you crop or rotate the image. Printed quality isn't great either - 8mp won't even meet 300dpi at a4, nevermind give you the image quality benefits of oversampling.

That's not to say you won't get decent optical quality out of an old camera, particularly under favourable conditions. Performance in all other respects might lag behind that of a modern one by a lot, though.
Original Poster
Thanks for the helpful comments. I use Gumtree quite a bit (I always collect) and there is indeed a 60D at £300 local to me, so I'll check it out.
60d cheaper from cex with 2 year guarantee.
An old sensor easily surpassed by newer cameras for less money. You are buying the buttons and dials.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions