Groups

Advice on a laptop for kids

I'm thinking about buying my boys, aged 7 & 9 a laptop for doing basic computing and homework etc. Anyone seen any good deals?

17 Comments

depends on your budget?

Original Poster

Don't want to spend much as it's only for the kids. Maybe £200-300.

If you can stretch to £359 this will be a great laptop and will do them for a few years, I'm currently contemplating getting it for my daughter

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

If I were you I'd buy a used Lenovo Thinkpads they've got that extra build quality so keys won't end up pinged off, hinges snapped, paint wear off etc which all happens with the bargain basement sub £300 laptops.

You could get a really good T series (try a T430 with 3rd gen i5 for under £200) for that money and even after the kids are let loose on it it'll still be in one piece 5 more years down the line.

Got my youngest an X201 a couple of years ago for £100 came with 4GB RAM & an i5 all I did was stick an ssd in it and it's running Windows 10 happily playing Minecraft, Roblox etc no bother at all and it's still in one piece.
    Edited by: "Rich44" 16th Dec 2016

If all you really want is "basic computing and homework" then this is a perfectly good deal right now:

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

Touchscreen, convertible tablet mode and even includes a one year subscription to Office 365 and 1Tb OneDrive storage. Use code 10LAPTOP to take it down to £225 or ask in store for the discount. Also nice and light for kids and have a crazy long battery life.

Alternatively, take a look at Chromebooks: currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

All come with free 100Gb Google Drive and are easy to set up and maintain (no viruses etc).

The Asus Flip has a great screen, premium aluminium build, doubles as a tablet (will run all Android based apps from Play Store as well as Chrome apps) and long battery life for £249: currys.co.uk/gbu…tml
    Edited by: "Interloper" 16th Dec 2016

Original Poster

Rich44

If I were you I'd buy a used Lenovo Thinkpads they've got that extra … If I were you I'd buy a used Lenovo Thinkpads they've got that extra build quality so keys won't end up pinged off, hinges snapped, paint wear off etc which all happens with the bargain basement sub £300 laptops. You could get a really good T series (try a T430 with 3rd gen i5 for under £200) for that money and even after the kids are let loose on it it'll still be in one piece 5 more years down the line.Got my youngest an X201 a couple of years ago for £100 came with 4GB RAM & an i5 all I did was stick an ssd in it and it's running Windows 10 happily playing Minecraft, Roblox etc no bother at all and it's still in one piece.

Do you happen to have a link to one at that price?

I'd recommend a Mac Book Pro Can't go wrong and cgood replacement parts around if the laptop gets broke

Get a chrome book. Cheap. Secure. Can run playstore apps.

7yo with homewotk on a laptop? hmm

basic tablet like amazon fire is more than enough.

AnnaMak

7yo with homewotk on a laptop? hmmbasic tablet like amazon fire is more … 7yo with homewotk on a laptop? hmmbasic tablet like amazon fire is more than enough.

oh no, big mistake. Never start a kids computing life with tablet. Laptops or desktop. I would recommend a desktop. Its much more powerful and about 60% cheaper than laptops with similar power, and kids can't break it easily like a laptop.

Please take a look at the following website, even refurbished system comes with 1y warranty and there is an option to extend it. Mind the price of a monitor but this site offers 20" monitor for £40. so you can easily buy a proper desktop computer for as little as £250. This will be a good config for 5 to 6 years, where as a laptop for £250 won't even last for 2 years.

microdream.co.uk/del…GsQ

Edited by: "ihotuk" 16th Dec 2016

I'd recommend a cheap windows 10 convertible tablet. Mine works fine for doing basic web development work when i'm on the move(It's a Lenovo Miix 300 and I paid around £120 for it), it's lightweight, touchscreen and can do everything they'll need for a while provided they're not gaming.

In this case I WOULD NOT buy a Chromebook.

Nearly all UK school are tied into Microsoft, they ONLY use M$ products and only teach M$ products, so the children would

1/ get confused between the Chrome and Win operating systems.

2/ Possibly be unable to do some home work because certain M$ programs are specified, with no alternatives allowed.
    Edited by: "Gentle_Giant" 16th Dec 2016

ihotuk

oh no, big mistake. Never start a kids computing life with tablet. … oh no, big mistake. Never start a kids computing life with tablet. Laptops or desktop. I would recommend a desktop. Its much more powerful and about 60% cheaper than laptops with similar power, and kids can't break it easily like a laptop.Please take a look at the following website, even refurbished system comes with 1y warranty and there is an option to extend it. Mind the price of a monitor but this site offers 20" monitor for £40. so you can easily buy a proper desktop computer for as little as £250. This will be a good config for 5 to 6 years, where as a laptop for £250 won't even last for 2 years. http://microdream.co.uk/dell-optiplex-790-sff-2nd-gen-quad-core-i5-2500-4gb-250gb-windows-10-professional-desktop-pc-computer.html?gclid=CKSmooLO-dACFeYK0wodUxwGsQ#.WFRWOOeg-Hs

wow sooo many assumptions made hmm

Gentle_Giant

In this case I WOULD NOT buy a Chromebook.Nearly all UK school are tied … In this case I WOULD NOT buy a Chromebook.Nearly all UK school are tied into Microsoft, they ONLY use M$ products and only teach M$ products, so the children would1/ get confused between the Chrome and Win operating systems.2/ Possibly be unable to do some home work because certain M$ programs are specified, with no alternatives allowed.

My son uses Windows and Office at school. Both run like trash on their lousy, under-specced PCs. He says some of the computers take over a minute just to open Word. Incidentally, they are still running Windows 7, an OS released over 7 years ago.

To tie children into these old systems based on the contracts with Microsoft their school has signed seems a disservice to me.

His homework is almost all web-based and runs in any browser. His computer at home is a desktop Mac. He has Microsoft Office on there if he needs it but he does almost all his work (through choice) in Google Docs and has never had a problem submitting it. Oh, and guess which browser his school uses? Chrome. What does a Chromebook run again?

Children are smarter than we think. They are highly adaptable, able to switch between touch OSes and desktop ones with ease. Why would they be confused moving between Windows and Chrome OS? If that were true, they would be equally confused moving from their school's Win7 and the Windows 10 on virtually all new PCs, complete with 'modern' UI elements and touch integration.

Millennials use Google apps and whatever else fits the job at hand. My son's IT skills are light years ahead of those teaching him at school. They want him to use Powerpoint and Word; he's at home blasting through everything from Final Cut Pro to Photoshop and beyond. The future does not belong to Microsoft and Office is a relic of their monopolistic past.

(Oh...and you can use Office web apps on a Chromebook. They are more than enough for 7 and 9 year olds...and free.)

Interloper

My son uses Windows and Office at school. Both run like trash on their … My son uses Windows and Office at school. Both run like trash on their lousy, under-specced PCs. He says some of the computers take over a minute just to open Word. Incidentally, they are still running Windows 7, an OS released over 7 years ago.To tie children into these old systems based on the contracts with Microsoft their school has signed seems a disservice to me.His homework is almost all web-based and runs in any browser. His computer at home is a desktop Mac. He has Microsoft Office on there if he needs it but he does almost all his work (through choice) in Google Docs and has never had a problem submitting it. Oh, and guess which browser his school uses? Chrome. What does a Chromebook run again?Children are smarter than we think. They are highly adaptable, able to switch between touch OSes and desktop ones with ease. Why would they be confused moving between Windows and Chrome OS? If that were true, they would be equally confused moving from their school's Win7 and the Windows 10 on virtually all new PCs, complete with 'modern' UI elements and touch integration.Millennials use Google apps and whatever else fits the job at hand. My son's IT skills are light years ahead of those teaching him at school. They want him to use Powerpoint and Word; he's at home blasting through everything from Final Cut Pro to Photoshop and beyond. The future does not belong to Microsoft and Office is a relic of their monopolistic past.(Oh...and you can use Office web apps on a Chromebook. They are more than enough for 7 and 9 year olds...and free.)

Maybe you have been lucky/maybe I was unlucky.

My son finished school a few years ago, but I can remember him having difficulty with it homework because our computers use Firefox/Libre Office and the homework was written out explicitly to use IE9/M$02008

Oh, and nothing wrong with Win7, slow comes with inadequate maintenance and system cleaning; a number of the popular crud removal programs DONT do it properly any longer; I was recommended Wyse cleaner, and after running my usual de-clutter programs I gave it a try, and it removed 1.9GB of crud from ONE sub-folder in the Windows folder.

Original Poster

Thanks for commenting everyone but to be honest I'm more confused than ever. Haha.

Apple Mac or Macbook, expect to spend at least £800 - not worth it if its for kids, pluse its a different environment than the one kids use at school.

Chromebook - Not fully loaded operating system and kids and even you are not going to like it. Its just browser performing the function of an os, with very little offline storage, works on the concept that your laptop is connected to internet 24x7 with majority of the stuff saved online.

Windows tablet - Anything that sells below £300 is a waste of money. The best implementation of windows tablet is Surface pro which will cost around at least £700 anything thats sellss for 100 to 300 may start of well, but overtime the only thing you'll get out of it is frustration. Cheap tables touch screens are very poor. you'll have bang on the screen instead of touch, stay well celar of them.

Your best bet as I said earlier is a full blown desktop pc or laptop. This way you'll get a similar setup of your school's setup. And the all important Ms office. If you call up microsoft and asks for student edition, they'll give you a university edition of office 2016 - 365 edition with fully working suite with a 4year license for £55. plus free 1 tb Microsoft one drive online storage and skype callling credits of 60 min a month. All you need is your kids school name and a outlook/hotmail email account.
    You can't go wrong with that.

Edited by: "ihotuk" 19th Dec 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Need help with buying a 4K TV for gaming48
      2. Which Kodi Add-ons?88
      3. £1500 55 inch 4K TV44
      4. Unexpected house guest query (Ratatouille)1115

See more discussions