Groups

Advice on a record player

Could anyone reccomend a good brand/model record player, just for playing 7" & 12", not into DJ'ing just wanting a record player, looking at anything really a new model (2000's etc) or a 'vintage'/'retro' model (1960's onward)
    Looking at spending around £100ish although just inquiring at the moment
    Thanks for any advice or help

7 Comments

Banned

i had an old bang and olufsen player it was amazing quality, but the needle tho and ended up sitting around for ages and eventually mum thru it away.....grrr

One of the better makes in the UK for record players was Hacker. I had one years ago and it was very good. Might be worth looking on FleaBay to see if there are any like that about.

This is the one I had. It's on FleaBay and the auction ends in half an hour! Couldnt' paste the URL into this, I think it's too long. Search for "hacker record player"

One further thing you need to think about is if you just buy a vintage turntable you will need to plug it into an amplifier. You either need an amplifier with a dedicated a "phono" input, or a phono preamp. The output from a turntable cartiridge is very small compared to a CD/tape/mp3/aux output.

Original Poster

casparwhite;5333633

i had an old bang and olufsen player it was amazing quality, but the … i had an old bang and olufsen player it was amazing quality, but the needle tho and ended up sitting around for ages and eventually mum thru it away.....grrr

Mums eh :-D
    Afterburner;5333672

This is the one I had. It's on FleaBay and the auction ends in half an … This is the one I had. It's on FleaBay and the auction ends in half an hour! Couldnt' paste the URL into this, I think it's too long. Search for "hacker record player"

Cheers have just had a look although not too keen on the looks of it and the lid etc.
    bigsky;5333690

One further thing you need to think about is if you just buy a vintage … One further thing you need to think about is if you just buy a vintage turntable you will need to plug it into an amplifier. You either need an amplifier with a dedicated a "phono" input, or a phono preamp. The output from a turntable cartiridge is very small compared to a CD/tape/mp3/aux output.

Ahh right ok will look into the amp etc. more if i find a vintage one that i like, thanks for your help

Banned

Why not get a usb one from Maplin, about £55?
    Then you can store them on your pc or memory cards.

Pluun;5334888

Why not get a usb one from Maplin, about £55?Then you can store them on … Why not get a usb one from Maplin, about £55?Then you can store them on your pc or memory cards.

Poor sound quality would be a good reason why not.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?11
      2. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value25
      3. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1954
      4. Virgin Media Price Hike retention Deals1318

See more discussions