Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Advice on automatic robotic vacuums

Posted 9th Dec 2019
Hey,

The girlfriend is looking at these automatic robotic vacuums, but me and her are both pretty lost on what we are looking for, and what is recommended.

She has a fairly straight forward flat, hard floor.
1 cat and 1 dog, and the hairs tends to be the main issue off needing to run a vacuum daily.

Her budget is around £200, maybe a little more if the benefits really stand out.

Can anyone give advice on what we are needing to consider, scanning systems, brands, or even a specific model/deal.

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

39 Comments
All the sub £200 ones are pretty much identical - ie no smart room navigation, randomly bumping in to objects, inefficient cleaning (will do one spot several times, others missed), and in larger houses will struggle to find its way back to the dock.

The best, which is only slightly outside your budget, is the xiaomi vacuum. Light years ahead of anything under £200

ebay.co.uk/itm…dd0

I think theres a 10% code too making it £200
Its the one I have and its excellent. Cheap spares, superb app, alexa compatibility, lidar room mapping, manual control, you can make it just clean a particular room. Best vacuum for under £350 imo- mines doing the downstairs right now while I'm faffing about on the web
Edited by: "MrKrabs" 9th Dec 2019
Thanks for the reply, w
MrKrabs09/12/2019 13:59

All the sub £200 ones are pretty much identical - ie no smart room …All the sub £200 ones are pretty much identical - ie no smart room navigation, randomly bumping in to objects, inefficient cleaning (will do one spot

with the one you linked, it's Wlan, so I'm guessing Wifi enabled (smart home accessible? if we ever go down voice assistant route).

Does the unit remember it's mapping so if it was set up in the hall way, it could venture into the front room and bed room, then remember where it's docking station was?
Edited by: "kos1c" 9th Dec 2019
kos1c09/12/2019 14:05

Thanks for the reply, w with the one you linked, it's Wlan, so I'm …Thanks for the reply, w with the one you linked, it's Wlan, so I'm guessing Wifi enabled (smart home accessible? if we ever go down voice assistant route). Does the unit remember it's mapping so if it was set up in the hall way, it could venture into the front room and bed room, then remember where it's docking station was?

yup.
I've decided I'm going to get one for my mum. Will try a £210 offer
MrKrabs09/12/2019 14:10

I've decided I'm going to get one for my mum. Will try a £210 offer

Just watching this video:

It seems to send it's own map off your layout to the app, it seems impressive, will give her a push into that direction.
Just a shame I can't benefit from it at home, 2 floors, multi rooms, and it's not all even (step down to get into the kitchen, high door cut offs etc). Would only work 1 room at a time for me and then would need assistance to continue.
kos1c09/12/2019 14:11

Just watching this video:[Video] It seems to send it's own map off your …Just watching this video:[Video] It seems to send it's own map off your layout to the app, it seems impressive, will give her a push into that direction.

It is good. Think the neato equivilent is £350
kos1c09/12/2019 14:14

Just a shame I can't benefit from it at home, 2 floors, multi rooms, and …Just a shame I can't benefit from it at home, 2 floors, multi rooms, and it's not all even (step down to get into the kitchen, high door cut offs etc). Would only work 1 room at a time for me and then would need assistance to continue.

Sounds like a death trap
kos1c09/12/2019 14:14

Can anyone give advice on what we are needing to consider, scanning …Can anyone give advice on what we are needing to consider, scanning systems, brands

Lego. And not a Direson hotukdeals.com/dis…322
MrKrabs09/12/2019 14:14

It is good. Think the neato equivilent is £350

With the Xiaomi, as it's close to the budget, the GF just asked, can it be ran daily and it won't do much wear and tear on the machine? (apart from sourcing filters every so often)
kos1c09/12/2019 14:25

With the Xiaomi, as it's close to the budget, the GF just asked, can it be …With the Xiaomi, as it's close to the budget, the GF just asked, can it be ran daily and it won't do much wear and tear on the machine? (apart from sourcing filters every so often)

Can run whenever you want, even set the power so if its early in the morning you can set it to quiet mode. I have mine on turbo mode permanently. Doesn't even drop below 50% after cleaning for 40 mins.

Not got my phone on me but its done well over 120 hours. All ive done is changed filter and cleaned sensors which it alerts you to.
MrKrabs09/12/2019 14:29

Can run whenever you want, even set the power so if its early in the …Can run whenever you want, even set the power so if its early in the morning you can set it to quiet mode. I have mine on turbo mode permanently. Doesn't even drop below 50% after cleaning for 40 mins.Not got my phone on me but its done well over 120 hours. All ive done is changed filter and cleaned sensors which it alerts you to.

Perfect, I've had things from Xiaomi before and they are amazing items, quality and performance. The Gf hasn't, so it's convincing it's not a "too good to be true" issue based on the price off the unit.
I remember having the Yi Camera for £55, and it's performance was matching the GoPro 3 black at the time and that's £320+.

I'm impressed with the floor mapping and nothing else in it's price range offers such feature, they just randomly set their path based on local field sensors.
Also, going down the route of schedules, or telling the vacuum to start by voice command (smart home) is another feature that can be great.

Also, I really appriecate the help and advice you've given.
Edited by: "kos1c" 9th Dec 2019
kos1c09/12/2019 14:35

Perfect, I've had things from Xiaomi before and they are amazing items, …Perfect, I've had things from Xiaomi before and they are amazing items, quality and performance. The Gf hasn't, so it's convincing it's not a "too good to be true" issue based on the price off the unit. I remember having the Yi Camera for £55, and it's performance was matching the GoPro 3 black at the time and that's £320+.I'm impressed with the floor mapping and nothing else in it's price range offers such feature, they just randomly set their path based on local field sensors. Also, going down the route of schedules, or telling the vacuum to start by voice command (smart home) is another feature that can be great.Also, I really appriecate the help and advice you've given.

NP.

Seller counter offered me £219, so with PROSPER10 code it came to £197.99
MrKrabs09/12/2019 14:38

NP.Seller counter offered me £219, so with PROSPER10 code it came to …NP.Seller counter offered me £219, so with PROSPER10 code it came to £197.99

She's sent an offer, when he replies, do you hit accept and it takes you to basket to add the code? (I've not done an ebay offer in such a long time).
kos1c09/12/2019 14:43

She's sent an offer, when he replies, do you hit accept and it takes you …She's sent an offer, when he replies, do you hit accept and it takes you to basket to add the code? (I've not done an ebay offer in such a long time).

Yup
Seller has now asked for £10 more as they messed up inventory. Have asked for refund, sounds like a scam. Did you get the same message?
MrKrabs10/12/2019 10:19

Seller has now asked for £10 more as they messed up inventory. Have asked …Seller has now asked for £10 more as they messed up inventory. Have asked for refund, sounds like a scam. Did you get the same message?

They upped their price from 230 to 250.

She paid £219 then the discount. I'd ignore their price request because they accepted the offer.
kos1c10/12/2019 10:30

They upped their price from 230 to 250. She paid £219 then the discount. …They upped their price from 230 to 250. She paid £219 then the discount. I'd ignore their price request because they accepted the offer.

Have you had an email to say that same thing? I've asked for refund, still waiting though
MrKrabs10/12/2019 11:55

Have you had an email to say that same thing? I've asked for refund, still …Have you had an email to say that same thing? I've asked for refund, still waiting though

I'll ask her as it's her eBay account.
But they agreed to counter at £219, so there their own agreement and not a mess up.

When she gets back to me I'll let you know
Edited by: "kos1c" 10th Dec 2019

Have you had an email to say that same thing? I've asked for refund, still …Have you had an email to say that same thing? I've asked for refund, still waiting though

She said no nothing yet.
joyf453610/12/2019 12:10

Dogs can be a …Dogs can be a problemhttps://metro.co.uk/2019/07/16/roomba-irobot-rolls-into-dog-poo-and-vacuums-it-all-over-the-house-10348771/

Luckily her dog is trained. Has its own litter box area.

Same email saying it'll be shipped from Germany and we will get our £10 back..but it'll be a direct payment.
kos1c10/12/2019 16:05

Same email saying it'll be shipped from Germany and we will get our £10 …Same email saying it'll be shipped from Germany and we will get our £10 back..but it'll be a direct payment.

They still trying to convince me to pay £10 instead of a refund. Have reported them to eBay, have a feeling I might have to get PayPal involved.

Sorry for recommending them, they looked legit from their feedback.
MrKrabs10/12/2019 17:21

They still trying to convince me to pay £10 instead of a refund. Have …They still trying to convince me to pay £10 instead of a refund. Have reported them to eBay, have a feeling I might have to get PayPal involved.Sorry for recommending them, they looked legit from their feedback.

I'll let her know what they are trying.
These are the emails I've had
Good day!
Thank you for your purchase. It's our honor to serve you.
We
feel sorry to inform you that we can not ship the item as there was
something wrong with our warehouse system and the inventory was missing.
Sorry for the inconvenience to you.

After check, we still have this item in our Germany warehosue, but it require extra GBP 10 postage, are you willing to pay extra GBP 10 postage?
in order to save your time,we have sent an invoice of GBP 10 to your email anyway, if you agree, our warehouse will ship it out immediately once received your extra postage.

If you want a full refund, please ignore the invoice and let us know, we will full refund you imediately.

Sorry for all the inconvenience caused to you, thanks for your deeply understanding.
Looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely yours,
Rex
I replied I want a refund, very disappointed as had wasted my 10% eBay code
Good day!
Thank you for your message.

I am sorry for the inconvenice to you.
To show our apologies,could you kindlly help to pay GBP 10 firstly ?
We would like to refund yu GBP 10 as a compesnation after the item post,is that ok for you ?
Sorry that we could not post as our finance department has blocked the shipment as the postage problem.
Once GBP 10 got and item post,we would like to refund you GBP 10,hope can get your understanding and supports.

Which one do you prefer,would you like to pay GBP 10 firstly ,then get the GBP 10 back after item post ?
or you just want to fully refund now ?

If you want to keep it,please help to pay the GBP 10 through the invoice we sent to you.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.
Have a nice day!

Sincerely yours,

Seven
Edited by: "MrKrabs" 10th Dec 2019
Alarm bells with that one so sent a stern message back demanding an immediate refund.
MrKrabs10/12/2019 17:33

Good day!Thank you for your message.I am sorry for the inconvenice to …Good day!Thank you for your message.I am sorry for the inconvenice to you.To show our apologies,could you kindlly help to pay GBP 10 firstly ?We would like to refund yu GBP 10 as a compesnation after the item post,is that ok for you ?Sorry that we could not post as our finance department has blocked the shipment as the postage problem.Once GBP 10 got and item post,we would like to refund you GBP 10,hope can get your understanding and supports.Which one do you prefer,would you like to pay GBP 10 firstly ,then get the GBP 10 back after item post ?or you just want to fully refund now ?If you want to keep it,please help to pay the GBP 10 through the invoice we sent to you.Thanks for your time and patience.Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.Have a nice day!Sincerely yours,Seven

Sounds really suspicious. I've told the gf to go down the route of PayPal and eBay to get the refund and it's just time wasted. Plus the 10% code.
Can't leave a negative for 7 days, so if there were other people conned no one would know until next week.
MrKrabs10/12/2019 17:39

Can't leave a negative for 7 days, so if there were other people conned no …Can't leave a negative for 7 days, so if there were other people conned no one would know until next week.

Have you spoken to eBay about it or opened a ticket, maybe that would force the seller to act on either giving the item or refunding
MrKrabs10/12/2019 17:39

Can't leave a negative for 7 days, so if there were other people conned no …Can't leave a negative for 7 days, so if there were other people conned no one would know until next week.

Did you get any update with this?
We couldn't seem to open a ticket our end I did tell her to ring or live chat.
kos1c11/12/2019 16:35

Did you get any update with this?We couldn't seem to open a ticket our end …Did you get any update with this?We couldn't seem to open a ticket our end I did tell her to ring or live chat.

I've just received my refund
MrKrabs12/12/2019 10:56

Ah good shame they didn't ship.
I'd report the seller to eBay as well. Very sketchy
MrKrabs12/12/2019 10:56

Just an update she got her refund in the last few days. What a nightmare that was. eBay wouldn't let her open a case and PayPal took 2 weeks to get back to her and won in her favour but didn't get any sort of notification for it.
What a saga! Glad she got the money back. I complained about the seller but doubt eBay will do owt. Did you get an alternative?
MrKrabs29/12/2019 11:01

What a saga! Glad she got the money back. I complained about the seller …What a saga! Glad she got the money back. I complained about the seller but doubt eBay will do owt. Did you get an alternative?

Nah she got put off from the whole thing sadly. Maybe down the line she'll get one.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions