Advice on Bathroom Tiling Adhesive and Grout

Found 14th Mar 2016
Need some advice on which is the best "ready mix" bathroom adhesive and grout.

I used the Unibond Ready Mix Bathroom Adhesive and Grout in 1 a month ago and the tiles have just fallen off. I'm shocked at how poor this was and having read the reviews in hindsight, they say the unibond one is very bad.

So I'm gonna do the job again using a different one this time, can anyone recommend any ready mix ones, even if it's separate adhesive and grout.

I prefer the ready mix to the powder, as I'm only got about 8 tiles to stick back on.
Community Updates
AskBathroomTile
8 Comments
I have never used ready mixed. but mapei grouts and adhesives are widely regarded as excellent.

just done my bathroom with their powdered products.
I've used Granfix and BAL ready mixed adhesives and you can't go wrong with Mapei grout (powdered, but very easy to mix up). All have done the job. But its important to read the individual instructions to make sure that ready mixed is suitable for your particular tiles and the surface you are tiling onto.

Heard too many horror stories about Unibond, and something that acts as both an adhesive and a grout is probably going to be a load of rubbish and worth avoiding.
Mapei products. used pre mixed tile adhesive while living in a flat, didnt want to mix powder inside great stuff, also used grout mixed by hand lasted 7yrs still looks ok, mastic lasted 5yrs round bath / shower. all round very happy with mapei products will use again.
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. In two minds about whether to go ready mixed or buy both separately powdered.
What about this Mapei one, any good? mapei.com/GB-…out
Hubby is a plumber who fits bathrooms and he always uses BAL adhesive. Can't comment on grout as he's not here for me to check with him. I'll try to come back later with a grout brand for you
Another +1 here for Mapei powder, but also a thought on your first job - did you prime the wall first? Wall may have taken all the moisture out and left you with a dry mix...
Original Poster
Mermoo

Another +1 here for Mapei powder, but also a thought on your first job - … Another +1 here for Mapei powder, but also a thought on your first job - did you prime the wall first? Wall may have taken all the moisture out and left you with a dry mix...

Yes, when I did it first time, I dried the wall out completely with a heater for a few days, then applied Primer and then the Unibond ReadyMix. Looks like Mapei Powder for the adhesive then. Same type of powder for the Grout?
Sharpharp

Yes, when I did it first time, I dried the wall out completely with a … Yes, when I did it first time, I dried the wall out completely with a heater for a few days, then applied Primer and then the Unibond ReadyMix. Looks like Mapei Powder for the adhesive then. Same type of powder for the Grout?

I would say it depends on the colour and texture you're looking for with the grout. I have used Mapei Jasmine to get a good colour match (good texture but needs very thorough mixing to avoid red spots), Wickes beige (which has a lot coarser texture, but less mixing required) and Dunlop white, which was my personal favourite, but doesn't have many colour options.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions