1. Tes Deals
Groups

Advice on best before dates

I am making beef stew for the kids for tea and as they love dumplings i got 2 dumpling mixes from the shop. Just about to make em and noticed they have a best before date of april 2009!! Manky shop! Anyway, is it safe to still use em or bin em as the kids will kill me if they dont get any dumpling with their tea

14 Comments

Banned

yeah, i would, test um out on kids 1st thought

I'd bin them, better safe than sorry!

Original Poster

Spriggan;6507265

I'd bin them, better safe than sorry!

Thats what i thought. Im gonna have 3 mad little girls at tea time!

I've always used stuff thats past its best before date by a few weeks, never months. As it says, it is a best before date, so it'll taste better if used before that date. If it's a use by date, get rid once its past i say.

whats in a dumpling mix?
    dry stuff should be perfectly fine, its only the quality that may be affected past the bbd ;-)

manky shop indeed!

owens101;6507286

whats in a dumpling mix?dry stuff should be perfectly fine, its only the … whats in a dumpling mix?dry stuff should be perfectly fine, its only the quality that may be affected past the bbd ;-)

+1 dried mix is ok

It should be fine... it's mainly flour isn't it?

Even Ice has a BBD these days...

Banned

best before date is only advisory and items can be used safely for a while after this date, im talking weeks not months. id take em back to the shop an give em what for.

sassie;6507262

yeah, i would, test um out on kids 1st

Sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Thanks guys. They are going mad at the no dumpling idea so just heading to shops to get more! Will check the date this time!

lottysdad08;6507400

best before date is only advisory and items can be used safely for a … best before date is only advisory and items can be used safely for a while after this date, im talking weeks not months. id take em back to the shop an give em what for.

Its all relative. Some things are given a much longer BBD than others - its not going to hurt you have some rice or spices that are a few months past there BBD if its the difference between them being 1.5 and 2 years old, but I wouldn't want any milk that was a fortnight past its BBD!

i'm using coffee 6 mths past, but its dried and sealed, so cant hurt...:whistling:

dumplings are easy to make , I make vegetarian ones, just flour milk salt and pepper roll into balls
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218
      2. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…33
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1118
      4. Sad news about Barcelona26113

See more discussions