Advice on best washing powerder etc

Found 9th Mar 2009
Hi i know this sounds a bit silly but i got my partner to wash all my black hoodys and they still look dirty after being in the washing machine,is there a special powder etc for black colours?

thanks

ps:were using sainsburys own powder

1. Misc
  2. Washing
15 Comments

How can you tell if anything black is still dirty..lol

I don't know if the own brand powders are any good or not as i always buy branded.

Original Poster

deb8z;4589914

How can you tell if anything black is still dirty..lolI don't know if the … How can you tell if anything black is still dirty..lolI don't know if the own brand powders are any good or not as i always buy branded.

well the way to tell if its dirty is any other colours are still showing on it lol!

Original Poster

jellybaby22;4589934

Yup I have the same problem with my black stuff..still looks a … Yup I have the same problem with my black stuff..still looks a bit...emmm..grubby...I use Ariel and its sorted the problem.....:thumbsup:

thanks,might have to try that

You must be a messy eater if you have food stains on black clothes...lol

I also use Ariel as recommended by my washing machine maufacturer!

I have to admit that I usually get whatever wash powder or liquid that's on offer or is the cheapest and have been buying Sainsburys own concentrated wash liquid for a while. I did notice that things weren't coming out sparkling but just figured that was kids for you, but I've now got Persil concentrated liquid and used it for the first time yesterday and there is definitely a difference. One of my daughter's tops had hot chocolate dribbled down it that had been on there for 2 days and usually this would leave a light mark when washed but it has all gone.

I therefore think you get what you pay for and it's worth getting one for lights and one for colours as you'll only use the same amount in the long run. Persil is still on offer at Sainsburys by the way so try it (or another make) and see if you can notice a difference to the home brand (and I don't think this just relates to Sainsburys by the way).

Ariel all they way, wont use anything else as persil unsets my skin.

Don't use cheap cos they are rubbish. Use a powder for colours as well because it really does make a difference. I am told I am OCD with my washing....thats sad isn't it. I also use a different powder for whites as the coloured one isn't strong enough for that. I will go now as I will write a book otherwise lol.

Vanish soap is always handy to rub on stains BEFORE washing in the machine.

Daz is still the best

I'm the same, I generally buy what is on offer, been buying Surf and seems to be okay... I find the own brand soap powder to be generally rubbish.

I use ariel if stuff is really dirty. Generally liquid stuff (or liquitabs) seem to work best for me.

Disagree. It is all marketing hype. For the past 5 yrs have used own brand soap powders, mainly Costco Kirkland brand. All washing requires just a little thought to pre treat stains with vanish or something similar before putting into wash. Solves the problem for me and cuts down the expense.

One powder for the lot. I am a foster mum and have had children of all ages. Have never used special powders for babies / toddlers, never had any problems with allergies / rashes. (and that includes my own kids too)

I did once buy special liquid for coloured things. Stopped as soon as I saw special babygrow that was washed more often than the bootee things that came with it. Few months later when I was passing it on to someone else, the babygrow had faded much more. Total waste of money IMO.

I also buy basic fabric conditioner, don't use it in every wash. The only difference in these, is the frangrance and the price. Lots of people like their clothes to smell, so they pay extra. Personally I hate the smell of most fabric conditioners on clothes.

Apart from babies / toddlers / muddy items, many clothes are not actually that dirty. I often put items in for a rinse with tiny amt of fabric conditioner if they have only been worn briefly. Cuts down on wash time and no powder used. Especially good, as nothing will fade that way!

Residue / marks on dark clothes may also be due to a drum problem with the washing machine, or over stuffing machine with too many clothes......something all mine are guilty of.

Don't expect many to agree with me but might come in useful for those with a family, struggling to cut costs at the moment. You don't have to feel guilty if you change, nobody else will even notice (apart from the person doing the washing!)

I use whatever is on offer at the time - and generally use own brand stuff.. I also find pre-treating with Shout good. DOn't leave a stain too long - the sooner treated the better.

I must admit I thought I saw a noticeable difference when I used Daz!

Also - doesn't water type affect the wash? I know that we use a different soap when we visit my dad in Wales because his water is soft! Here, the same soap isn't as suitable - where my water is hard!

Same goes for tea! You have to choose your bags according to the water type....

Now who's the Nerd :oops:

we use small and mighty and even on the quick wash (30 min) everything comes out lovely and clean, even the kids foodstains come out well.

harlzter;4590490

we use small and mighty and even on the quick wash (30 min) everything … we use small and mighty and even on the quick wash (30 min) everything comes out lovely and clean, even the kids foodstains come out well.

Yes that's the persil one we use to and I have to say that after using Sainsburys own concentrated liquid for quite a while, I really noticed the difference. Might try on a quicker wash like you next time, I'd already cut down to a 60minute wash instead of a full on.
Post a comment
@
    Text