Advice on buying a 3yr old high mileage (up to 100k) Ford Galaxy or Seat Alhambra to do UBER XL driving (or get Ford Mondeo and do UBER X)

I'm looking at buying a 3yr old high mileage (up to 100k) Ford Galaxy or Seat Alhambra to do UBER XL driving. I was considering buying from Addison Lee because they come with detailed service history and are cheap. What I want to know is what work carried out should I be looking for on the service history of a 3 year old Galaxy / Alhambra and what should I expect to repair / replace on the next 100k miles of ownership?

I can afford to pay more for a vehicle, but since I will register it for taxi use and do high mileage, anything decent I buy would depreciate heavily and therefore be poor value compared to a high mileage alternative.

I assume I will be doing somewhere in the region of 25k miles per year and after 4 years I would be prepared to drive the car to the scrapyard. So If I pick up a 3-4 yr old mpv for £7k and repairs cost £3k over 4yrs the car would stand to cost me £2.5k per year which is ok I think and if the repairs are less than £3k, I win. On the other hand if I bought a 1yr old 15k miles Galaxy / Alhambra for £18k and after 4 yrs taxiing and 115k miles on the clock and say maybe £2k repairs / replacements I can se it only being worth maybe £4k to sell on so total outlay would be £16k or £4k per year so £1500 per year or £6k over the 4yr period more expensive. The newer vehicle will have better kit but £6k is a lot of outlay for a few car gadgets.

Also if anyone can tell me how much more I can earn on UBER XL over UBER X I would really appreciate it. If there's not much difference I may go for a FORD Mondeo.

Thanks very much

4 Comments

Thought about buying a brand new dacia Logan?

Original Poster

Ive never heard of them before. Do you have one? Not on UBER XL list either
Edited by: "Madchester" 4th Jul

We were in Portugal and the uber xl was a Logan it done the job like a cheap zafira but fitted the extra people in the back. I would say try and find something with boot space and the extra seats as we came back to uk and got train over uber as couldn't fit the cases in the space once chairs went up in back

Original Poster

justanothercid

We were in Portugal and the uber xl was a Logan it done the job like a … We were in Portugal and the uber xl was a Logan it done the job like a cheap zafira but fitted the extra people in the back. I would say try and find something with boot space and the extra seats as we came back to uk and got train over uber as couldn't fit the cases in the space once chairs went up in back

Logan not on XL in MCR
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Remortgaging to pay off debt67
    2. Iptv811
    3. How much would you pay for this chair?1617
    4. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy45

See more discussions